586,115 active members*
3,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 57 of 71 747555657585967
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1418
    No the Z Axis is a 1/2" 8, 2 start

Joe has a solid project that continues to evolve thanks to the wonder group of folks on his forum. As a life long engineer I'm impressed by the innovations that his forum continues to drive. I must say It never ceases to amazes me the things the folks on that forum come up with. If your considering Joe's CNC I highly recommend it, you will not be sorry.

Kent has finished his machine, just needs final tweeks and dust collection.

He build a cabunate within the unistrut base which houses computer and controller system G203v's, also has magnetic limit switches, relays for router and dust collection, and another neat feature he incorporated are encoders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1093.JPG  

Beautiful machine.

Thought i would consolidate the pictures of completed machines so people will not have to look all over the thread for them.

you can always see them at www.joescnc.com in the gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Complete Machines_Page_1.jpg   Complete Machines_Page_2.jpg   Complete Machines_Page_3.jpg   Complete Machines_Page_4.jpg  

Complete Machines_Page_5.jpg   Complete Machines_Page_6.jpg   Complete Machines_Page_7.jpg   Complete Machines_Page_8.jpg  

Just an example of what can be done with Joe's 4x4 design. Just one of many modifications that can be done to a Joe's 4x4 machine!
    My machine is not totaly completed as yet but its cutting parts. All made possable by Joe's 4x4 basic design. Its all made in alum...no MDF or HDPE. Thanks Joe!! for making it possable for me to build my fantastic dream machine!!

AL..............

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfqX6ZKvo88"]YouTube - The Making of Tunnel Dust Shoe Part 2[/ame]

Great video and very nice machine, I believe we have two total Aluminum hybrids now, well they are not a true hybrid's now other than the overall design, but still a good representation of the original design.

do the plans have an accumulation of all the changes upgrades updates etc..
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    do the plans have an accumulation of all the changes upgrades updates etc..
    thanks
    The plans are the basic machine, in detail, and I have a MOD section on the support forum in which people have posted their mods on their particular machine, some very nice machines have been built. This was one of the purposes of the support forum for the ones building the machine to discuss, ideas to make the machine to fit their needs.

Other here which are on that particular forum can testify to how useful the forums have been, and continue to be.

I forgot to post a video Paul did a while back when cutting out a router mount on his standard hybrid. He also used widgetworks drag bit which i thought was cool.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZezZA_7YcTk"]YouTube - Cutting a Router Mount[/ame]

I was one of the early adopters of the Hybrid, and I can tell you the forums are phenomenal. The people make it awesome, not just the amount of knowledge and smarts on there. Many of them I would trust unconditionally, others I would just watch closely with a camera

I am about as smart as a box of rocks and that is an insult to the rocks. I was still able to build my hybrid in less than 3 months, and it continues to work hard every time I use it. I have had mine running for about a year and 4 months now, and I am still impressed every time a piece comes off of it.

Great work Joe.
    God I love this stuff!!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by miwms1955@gmail View Post
    Great work Joe.
    God I love this stuff!!

Mike
    Ditto, Fun Hobby.

Tolerance question

I should probably do the next test first before posting but:

I did my first cut today with the 4x4. The cut was a 2x2 square and a circle 2 inches diameter. Both cuts are 0.25 deep into 3/4 MDF.

Cutting bed size (which may matter in this) x=36", y=70" (so it's not really 4x4)
    Results are:

square: x=2", y=1.965", z=0.25"
    circle: x=2", y=1.965, z= 0.25"

Is this within the tolerance that other people are seeing with their machines?

And one else seen anything like this?

I guess the next test is to cut a 4 inch square and see in the y axis is off by .035 (as in the 2" case) or is it off by 0.070. I'm assuming for this post that it is a additive constant and not multiplicative.

Other than this small issue it cuts absolutely beautiful.

Thanks,
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Is not there any chance to "teach" the CNC software that 1.965" in your Y-axis is actually 2" in the program, so it can do the necessary ratio changes?

Hi Rhino3master,

There probably is a way. What I found is the mount for one of my y axis leadscrew nuts had a loose screw. Tightening this up cut the error in half.

When I put the unit together initially I had a lot of trouble with this particular antibacklash nut. Every time I tightened it up the axis would freeze. The fix that Tim as dumpster recommended was to make a tap using a spare piece of acme 1/2 5 start and clean out the nut. I'm thinking now that I may have been a little overzealous in cleaning it out and will have to replace it sometime soon.
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Is not there any chance to "teach" the CNC software that 1.965" in your Y-axis is actually 2" in the program, so it can do the necessary ratio changes?
    Only if it is consistently this measurement.....

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard52 View Post
    Only if it is consistently this measurement.....

You just need to change the settings in MACH to reflect this measurement and it will calculate new steps per inch and set your motor tuning so that this is taken care of.

It looks like it is a consistent thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino3Master View Post
    Depending on software, yes. If the error is linear..i.e. each inch is off the same amount across the screw, you can calculate your steps per inch to the actual measured amount. If it is non linear error, you can do screw error compensation in some like MACH3.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Looks like there is a good way to fix such issues with Mach 3. :cheers: Thanks for the quick replies, guys, I too needed such answer as I'm just finishing my first CNC build and most likely I will use Mach 3 to adjust my steps per... one meter (I hope that such option is included in Mach 3 as it will provide a lot better result than steps per one inch). :idea:

OK, that sounds good. Lets define the term "consistent error" really carefully. I haven't gotten back to do the appropriate testing to back this up yet to see which case I have, but I believe it is case 1.

case 1

I believe this to be the the error I have and it occurs when the screw changes direction due to some slop in the AB nut (definition of backlash as I understand it). In which case, if I cut a 1" square then it will be short in the y direction by .035. If I go and then cut a 2" square, it will also be short in the y direction by .035. etc. etc. Is this what you mean by consistent? I.e. y(f) = y(i) - .035

case 2

Or do you mean I cut a 1" square and it is off by .035, a 2" square is off by .070, etc. I.e. y(f) = y(i) - y(i)*.035 where y(i) = 1, 2, 3, ...

Both are "consistent", but case 2 is nonlinear

I'm assuming the first case can be solved with the backlash adjustment in Mach3 (which I will have to go and read up on because I had completely forgot it was there until you mentioned it)?

Steven

Page 57 of 71 747555657585967