586,593 active members*
2,949 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X3 Y-axis ballscrew

As the majority of exchanges on this forum concern the X3 mill, I am suprised
    there has been no referance to the length of Y axis ballscrew. The table on the X3 is 6" wide, but the spindle centre will only cover 4 3/4" before the ballscrew hits the rear collum.

When the table is at Y- limit there is 1 1/2" of ballscrew outside the nut, thus not doing any work. If the ballscrew was shortend by 1 1/4" this would leave 1/4" safety out of the nut, and allow the spindle to cover the full width of the table in Y+ limit

Syil do not seem to think this is a problem, but for a machine tool to be taken seriously, a basic requirement is for the tool to cover full extent of the table. The X3 is a sturdy well engineered tool, capable of serious work, but let down by simple design error, and very easy to correct.

Do other X3 user's feel this limitation is annoying? if so please let Syil know, they might respond to multiple customer feed back, or have I got a rouge machine.

Hi Mikemill,

My machine has the same issue. I suspect all Syil converted X3 machines to date have the Y axis leadscrew too long as you described.

If the leadscrew was shortened, it would certainly give more Y- movement. It has been suggested that if a clearance hole were drilled through the column on the centreline of the leadscrew, additional movement could be obtained. However I am not going to do this as it means removing the column to modify it and it brings the possibility of crashing the y axis leadscrew into the Z axis leadscrew behind the column.

I agree with you in that the leadscrew could easily have been shortened in the Syil factory and is by far, the best practical solution.

On my X3 I was also concerned with the position on the Y+ limit switch relative to the trip screw. The Y+ limit switch was preventing the Y+ movement by roughly 45mm. I moved the physical position of the Y+ limit switch forward by 30mm using M4 x 30 Hex Spacers. (See Photo). This gave me another 30mm of Y movement before the limit switch activated. This is a temporary measure until I can get used to the machine. I think that I may extend it further if the table remains stable on the dovetails.

The aluminium bar with the adjustment slot also shown in the photo is my Y- limit switch activator. I was really concerned that the leadscrew was goint to hit the column and wanted a method of preventing it from doing so. I have the limit switch trip point adjusted to approximately 1mm before the leadscrew hits the column. I use the same switch for both Y- and Y+ limits and have a similar arrangement for th X+ and X- limits.

Regards

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Mill May07 001.jpg  

Hi Chris
    Glad you feel the same, I think Syil should supply the correct length ballscrew to those user's wanting full use of thier machines free of charge, as it is a design fault and needs correcting.
    Regarding limits I had planned on reworking the missplaced switches, but have just discovered 'Homeing Settings' in Mach3 which will stop the table via the controller in all axis . If you are not useing Mach3 maybe your controller has same function.

Why do suppliers of hardware and software in the CNC world treat information as a game of hide and seek? These people are not short on brain power, so after you have designed the product, supply a comprehinsive manual so the end user gets the benifit of your genius. The contents of the forums in this and other CNC related sites bares out my point as most question are based on ' how doe's it work'.

Regards

Mike

Mike I was one of the early customers of Syil's CNC kit for the X3

I requested the Y axis ballscrew be made 40mm longer for my kit. Cost me an extra $20

After some other people wanted the same, Syil changed the standard length to suit.

I really don't know if this is still current. But by the sound of your post it still is.

If you look at the thread I started at the time you will see why I did.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23517

Look at posts 25 and 26 for particular discussion of my remedy to Syil's limited design.

I have Y axis travel that covers the full width of the table. As shown in post 49 And more detail post 57

Greg

Hi Greg
    Thanks for the info, there is a distiction between those who chose to do thier own conversion, and those who hand over £3000.000 hard earned and then expected to hack the machine apart to get it working. I have 30 years experiance in engineering and of course I can fix the problem! but that is not the point. Syil need to learn they cannot take thier customers for granted.
    Regards

Mike

Syil first machines around 50~70 use old optical switch.which have quality problem.the switch can not defend on oil/water.so very easy broken,so many complain make us change new one.
    that is why the Y axis distance compare old one have a little shorter.but we never use different kind ballscrew.all our ballscrew was same specifictioins.
    also right now.we use 2 postion control for the switch on Y,and X axis.

yes,we consider use short ballscrew.or use single nut,but we check and have a results that it is not every sieg X3 bottom have same casting,..
    i mean if descent of bottom too parallel,the Y axis distance also will be short.
    single nut we consider the backlash,so still not confrim to instead it.

we must wait for single nut ballscrew past the test,then can replace it in future production.

Mr mike,Richard will coming to UK in this month to help us dealer in UK.i think if they have time will going to visit you.
    anyway,this issue have been in my desk...

Xushuo
    Syil china.
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

Exclamation Single ball nut caution

Xushuo - If you go to single ball nut I suspect you will loose accuracy. I can machine a 50 mm circle accurate to only 0.01mm out of round (0.0005") with your current machine.

Better to machine base of colume to allow ball screw to enter.

Keen,
    all overtaken by events, it would seem - well, I hope so anyway!
    Perhaps you know, but it's quite a long story - the ballscrew was lengthened at the request of an earlier customer (greolt)who was concerned by the insufficient travel. He worked out that a longer ballscrew and spacer almost solved the problem, and that machining the base of the column clinched it by allowing that little extra travel without danger of fouling the 'z' axis -.

I'm the UK dealer, and have had several discussions with Mike - we both agreed that a factory prepared cnc machine such as the Syil X3 should be fully functional from the word go, especially when you are laying out a large sum of money. It shouldn't be necessary to start modifications and machining the column to get full function.

Mike worked out his own design for a simple spacer, the idea has been forwarded to Syil, and their reponse was predictably fast. As from the 11th. of this month the Syil engineers are working on this mod. and hopefully abandoning a switch to a single nut (I think I'd better check though, come to think of it.)

I'm aware that there have been one or two people impatient at having to wait for Syil to be fully marketed in the UK. I wanted to iron out any issues before committing time, money and resources to the brand. I'm now happy to do so.
    It's also good to be associated with Richard of Syilamerica who is very knowledgeable and very helpful.

Hugh
    Syil.UK

Positive stuff Hugh - good to hear. I should have explained more fully that I meant the the clearance hole to be put in the column at manufacture stage. Greolt came up with a good way to extend travel via this and a longer screw etc. Of course the slide engagement length is not good - a casting with longer slides and taper gibs would be an even better step forward.

I'm happy that Greolt recomended and was listend to re the ball screw nut, but to get my machine up and running I've had to bodge a fix (a rather fine bodge if I may say). The Y axis spacer method is the one that I took, made out of aluminium and the Y axis limit switch trigger point extended. When the factory make a fix I will ask Hugh if I could have parts, as I'm not an engineer Like Mikemill and dont fully trust my work. Still happy with the learning curve, having fun jogging then homing jogging then ho...
    I dont know what I have made, but the swaf is shiny.

Smile Y axis spacer.

With a y axis spacer of 20mm you can move the table closer to the column.
    I considered this, but find it more useful to be able to machine over the edge of the back of the table for cutting off material, and thru drilling, without having to protect the table.

For my ego and your information...
    As for the Z axis I improved it.
    Here's how..
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...54&postcount=3
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.