586,110 active members*
3,230 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Haas VF-1

Haas VF-1

Hi,

Looking at purchasing a 2002 Haas VF1. This machine will be used for prototyping and the machining of small (3"x4"x1/2") aluminum parts in a 2 op setup.

Question,

I have had a conversation with an old and wise (?) machinist who at one point machined parts for us. The feedback from him was that the VF-1 is underpowered and "toy like". This guy uses some bigger Haas machines like a VF2 and VF3.

Looking at the specs on the standard configurations of these machines there doesn't seem to be any difference regarding power. The only obvious differences are the larger XYZ's. Am I missing something? Are the larger machines more rigid?

Thanks
    J

Bigger table, normally means bigger frame = more rigid.
    BUT, you should be perfectly fine with the VF1, I would be happy to do prototype work like you describe on a Haas Minimill.

Lars

I think your old and wise man might be half right.

I think this is correct: The VF1 and VF2 have the same footprint on the floor, the same table size and they have the same motor options, the difference is the X axis travel. The VF3 is a bigger structure, bigger table , more travel and I think this one has a gearbox option on the spindle drive which makes it able to handle heavier cuts at lower speeds. The direct drive machines can poop out with big face mills.

We machine lots of things in your size range on the smaller machines quite successfully.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Having checked the specs on the newer machines, the gearbox option for the spindle is there for the VF-1&2. There is even a 30HP/10000RPM option, so I would think the VF-1 could make for a great mill with the right options.