587,436 active members*
3,499 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thermwood frame value??

Hi,
    Anyone know what this machine might be worth? It's a late 1980's thermwood stepper drive machine with a 2'x4' table - controller is gone out of it, but still has three perske spindles mounted. See pics. Machine is in storage and I'm wanting to sell it as a possible retrofit candidate.

Thanks - - - - - -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thermwood24.JPG  

Rack and pinion, ball screws, dovetail ways, thk.......there is still a lot of info needed to know what the value of something like this is.

Is your first name Tom by any chance?

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

It's ball screw on all axis - it has three independant z axis slides, each ball screw as well. Rails are round thompson rails and bearings. There are three spindles on this machine, each 10 hp I believe.

My father's name is Tom - he works with cnc routers and these are some surplus machines that he doesn't have room for. There are three machines very similar to this. Also is an '87 C50 (5x10 table) that runs perfectly - has old controller though.

If you want to email me, you can at [email protected] or call 615-428-7086

I tried to post back to you earlier but my batteries in my wireless keyboard gave up.

Your father gave me a quote on a 5 axis Miluakee router some years ago but it was just more than I could afford. Excellent price....no money.

Now to your question. I would suggest you go to Ebay and watch some of the auctions that pertain to some of the equipment on the machine. Base your price on what it would part out at. Well maybe a little less since if you sell it as a single piece you won't have the labor invested in tearing it apart.

If I were in the market for a machine that size I personally would offer $2000 or less simply because of the unknown and the fact the perskes would cost me more to suppy with power than they would be worth to me.

I hope I have helped a little. Now if you have a 5 axis frame with a 3ft z depth and overall height of 115" I might get a little more excited!

Have a good one.

Mike

Thanks for the advice! Right now I would probably take the first $500 just to get it off my hands.

Speaking of 5 axis frames . . . . we have two Thermwoods in storage without controllers - however, they are 24" Z and 4'x8' table. One has been restored, sandblasted, and repainted. The other is a real project machine, with surface rust on the rails and needing some consmetic work (paint, etc). That one you can have for free if you pick it up - - - the other I'll sell for what $$ are invested in paint and reconditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by gabhart View Post
    Thanks for the advice! Right now I would probably take the first $500 just to get it off my hands.

Speaking of 5 axis frames . . . . we have two Thermwoods in storage without controllers - however, they are 24" Z and 4'x8' table. One has been restored, sandblasted, and repainted. The other is a real project machine, with surface rust on the rails and needing some consmetic work (paint, etc). That one you can have for free if you pick it up - - - the other I'll sell for what $$ are invested in paint and reconditioning.
    email sent!