586,112 active members*
3,173 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Taig Mill, US Digital MS23, Controller???

Taig Mill, US Digital MS23, Controller???

Hello all,

Just getting into CNC and have bought what was suppose to be a workable system, but unfortunitly having problems...

I wanted to buy a ready to work system, but the dealer I bought from only had part of a complete system without getting into used. Since I really wanted all new (warranties), he made up a list of what he didn't have for me to buy. Seemed it was pretty cut-and-dry by what he was saying so I went ahead and bought what he had and what was recomended.

I bought the Taig micro mill and shurline mini lathe - both CNC ready, less stepper motors. He had a DenverCNC 4 axis controller he said was good and recomended I buy US Digital MS23 stepper motors. Also got the Shurline rotory table - CNC ready less stepper motor.

Got everything in, put it all together and started using it a couple of days ago. Here's the problem...

Seems the stepper motors are too high current for the DenverCNC controller. I didn't know this (no docs came with it) and after playing around and checking it all out I did my first "real" milling job to test it.

I was processing about a 180,000 line g-code for milling a replica of a $20 gold coin (in aluminum and after about 15 minutes into the process the controller started to vibrate. I was on the other side of the mill (other side of table) from the controller so I didn't see or hear this right away. When I did notice it, it was actually moving around on the table with the vibrations. I quickly hit the emergency stop and checked it out.

It was almost hot to the touch! Obviously, the transformer was frying in the box.

Well, I emailed DenverCNC to ask for help. After a few emails back and forth, I opened the controller box and seen that it only had a 4 amp transformer in it. This didn't seem right as I rememberd reading the docs that came (book actually) with the stepper motors. It said that they could pull 4.2 amps in micro step using bipolar connections. 4.2x3 is alot more then that little 4 amp transformer would provide, so I knew we had major problems here. Sent another e-mail to DenverCNC and Derek confirmed these motors will draw too much current for this controller.

So, I now have a burnt controller and alot of confusion.

What would be the right controller for this configuration. I don't think the stepper motors are going back, as they were pretty expensive and now used. They are very good motors I've heard, so I think I need to look at a replacement for the controller. I'll be calling my dealer this morning and I hope he has an easy solution for this problem. I'm really not too interested in having to build up a controller as I need to get going on what I bought this CNC stuff for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Rodger

If Denver cnc was partially to blame and led you in this direction, maybe they can help you out. I'm assuming they are the dealer you are referring to. I know the last time I talked to Denver they were working on a new controller rated at higher amperage, I believe they would be using geckos. I would definately talk to them first, maybe they can take in you old box and set you up with a gecko system, as a side not Denver is presently using Xylotex boards in their controllers. If Denver does not work out for you I would try camtronics. They use gecko drives and if you send them the motors you are going to use they can test your set up before shipping, Good luck.

Well burnt out another driver...

My dealer was kind enough to give me one of his personal drivers to use while DenverCNC had mine. Took it home and only tried to set it up for maybe an hour or less before it went south.

Seems the power supply transformer in these units just don't have the capacity for the high speed MS23 stepper motors. Steve at DenverCNC is hacking together a 6.5 amp power supply for my driver he picked up for me to use until I can find a permanent solution.

I guess that solution is to go to Gecko drivers and large power supply. My dealer is willing to put a list together of what I will need and even help with the layout, but sounds like I'll have to do some work here to get one together. As long as I can keep the mill running with this temporary unit until the new driver is fabricated, I guess this is OK.

Anyone who has the right stuff put together for this, I would appreciate any input you can contribute here. If I have to build it, I thought it would be nice to do a custom box with milled face and backplane openings and even milled labeling. Anyone have some layouts already made for this? I don't suppose it will be too hard to do, but its always nice to see something to go by.

BTW - Both DenverCNC (Derek and Steve) as well as my dealer have bent over backward to make this work for me and I really appreciate their efforts. It could have been much easier for them to just say "here's a refund, see ya", but that obviously isn't how they do things.

-Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by marjamar View Post
    Hello all,

Just getting into CNC and have bought what was suppose to be a workable system, but unfortunitly having problems...

I wanted to buy a ready to work system, but the dealer I bought from only had part of a complete system without getting into used. Since I really wanted all new (warranties), he made up a list of what he didn't have for me to buy. Seemed it was pretty cut-and-dry by what he was saying so I went ahead and bought what he had and what was recomended.

I bought the Taig micro mill and shurline mini lathe - both CNC ready, less stepper motors. He had a DenverCNC 4 axis controller he said was good and recomended I buy US Digital MS23 stepper motors. Also got the Shurline rotory table - CNC ready less stepper motor.

Got everything in, put it all together and started using it a couple of days ago. Here's the problem...

Seems the stepper motors are too high current for the DenverCNC controller. I didn't know this (no docs came with it) and after playing around and checking it all out I did my first "real" milling job to test it.

I was processing about a 180,000 line g-code for milling a replica of a $20 gold coin (in aluminum and after about 15 minutes into the process the controller started to vibrate. I was on the other side of the mill (other side of table) from the controller so I didn't see or hear this right away. When I did notice it, it was actually moving around on the table with the vibrations. I quickly hit the emergency stop and checked it out.

It was almost hot to the touch! Obviously, the transformer was frying in the box.

Well, I emailed DenverCNC to ask for help. After a few emails back and forth, I opened the controller box and seen that it only had a 4 amp transformer in it. This didn't seem right as I rememberd reading the docs that came (book actually) with the stepper motors. It said that they could pull 4.2 amps in micro step using bipolar connections. 4.2x3 is alot more then that little 4 amp transformer would provide, so I knew we had major problems here. Sent another e-mail to DenverCNC and Derek confirmed these motors will draw too much current for this controller.

So, I now have a burnt controller and alot of confusion.

What would be the right controller for this configuration. I don't think the stepper motors are going back, as they were pretty expensive and now used. They are very good motors I've heard, so I think I need to look at a replacement for the controller. I'll be calling my dealer this morning and I hope he has an easy solution for this problem. I'm really not too interested in having to build up a controller as I need to get going on what I bought this CNC stuff for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Rodger

Rodger, Can I ask who was the dealer? I recently met someone that appeared to be a salesman of some sort, but he had more bull crap than a used car salesman.

This dealer was your problem. This guy that sold you these steppers knew they wouldn't run with those xylotex drivers, which are rated at only maybe #3 amps. max.
    That's rediculous. I'll bet he really overcharged you too.

All I need to know is this guys first name. I'm sure I can figure out the rest. Did you meet him at Ebay?