586,096 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Went to Grizzly for a Bandsaw, came home with a combo mill. CNC ideas?

Went to Grizzly for a Bandsaw, came home with a combo mill. CNC ideas?

I am going to be adding a DRO to this from Littlemachineshop within the next few weeks, but I would like to know if you have seen or have ideas for the cnc conversion for the g0516 mill/lathe combo.

I know it is the same as the x2 and the c6b units.

Would I be better off to replace the base on the x2 and seperate them into 2 units or leave them??

Space wise, it would be better for me to leave them together. Any ideas would be appreciated.

splitting up was better for me

I had the same setup, for space reasons also, and eventually purchased the LMS base for the mill. I found the interrupted workflow and the need to constantly change setups was just too time consuming and not conducive to good work. I have not regretted separating the components. If you were doing a lot of predictable, repetitive operations the combo setup might not be a disadvantage, but I am prototyping, I'm inexperienced, and not that good at planning ahead in any case, so...
    If I were to do it again I would look into getting a larger table for the mill with more travel.

Ron R

Thanks Ron.

I thought that would be the case. I am new to all this and should have gotten x3 or knee mill but at the time, I didn't have a way to get one that big home.

I could split the machine up but that will cause me to get a new shop. HHMMMMMM... lol.

Seriously though, to split up would also cost me more if I want to cnc them both after the split.

I rarely will need to switch between mill and lathe as most parts I machine will be brackets for compputers and guitars. Lathe work will be limited to short work and not production. I could always split the system up later I guess..

I have searched the forum and didn't turn up much on the g0516 but I would like to get an idea on how I can CNC the setup as is. If not, then I will start from scratch as a test case and share the progress. (But I will surely need some pro help. )

I'm about to drop the hammer in a couple of days on stepperworld (Probably) for a kit, and also the DRO from LMS so any advice is helpful.

If I do split, I will purchase one of harlows bases at cncbridges.com. That looks like the ticket for more space and sound control.

If you are doing known procedures and can plan workflow to minimize setup changes, then the combo arrangement may work fine. I have a friend who uses a couple of Smithy combo machines very effectively. I am just not that organized.
    I have not CNC'd anything at this point, so I'm no help there. There is a yahoo group focusing on this machine, however:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SiegM2andGrizzlyG0516/
    It's not terribly active but has some good information.

Good luck and post info on your progress- a CNC conversion is in my future, and/ or possibly moving to the X3.

Ron

cj, When are you going back for the bandsaw? lol
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    cj, When are you going back for the bandsaw? lol
    Sometime this month. I have a couple of things on backorder that I have already paid for. 1 of them being the swivel base bandsaw. Once they come in, I am on my roadtrip.

Gives me an excuse to get out of the house and go get more toys. And they gave me the date of arrival which is the same day as the scratch and dent sale. Might be a good day. lol

Ocean - Thanks for the link to the yahoo group. I joined and hopefully can add to it at some point.

cj, Lock & load your wallet! Just remember, He who dies with the most toys wins. lol

Add: FYI Amada makes a CNC cut-off type bandsaw, just in case you really want to spend BIG Bucks. Go for it.
    DZASTR

right now the game is to figure out how much I can get into my 12x24 shop.

Then when I start :drowning: in tools, I can tell my wife that I need a new shop and she can have my old one. :idea:

I already have the cheapo bandsaw from HF, but it doesn't cut true and I like the 60 degree capability of the grizzly one.

A cnc bandsaw would be a little much for me. I will be building a 4x4 plasma table at some point though.

cj, How many floors can you add to expand vertically? (build up or dig down)
    Just think, you could have the first 24 inch X 24 foot CNC vertical boring mill or roll grinder!! lol
    DZASTR

Can't expand. Only build bigger next time.

I want a shop big enough that I can get lost in.

I guess I will be a test case for a cnc combo mill. I'll start a project thread after I get some of the first parts in.