586,533 active members*
3,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Royal Palm Beach, Florida

Wanting to learn CNC, I have a Taig mill I am setting up and could use some guidance. Willing to work to learn. I am 50 years old. Hoping an old dog can learn new tricks.

Wow, I quess I am the only one in South East Florida?

Old Dogs

Well, I am 61 and like you am trying to learn all I can about CNC milling. I have a couple of older Seiki XL 3 axis CNC mills (Bridgeport Clones) with Anilam 1100M controllers on them.

I have had these for about 6 months and been having a ton of fun with them. I like you have been lookiing for a mentor on a local basis. They appear to be few and far between in Florida or at least in my area.

I live in Seffner, just East of Tampa. If you are ever in the area you are welcome to stop by.

John

P.S. And Yes, ole dogs can learn a few tricks. Ha Ha

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    Well, I am 61 and like you am trying to learn all I can about CNC milling. I have a couple of older Seiki XL 3 axis CNC mills (Bridgeport Clones) with Anilam 1100M controllers on them.

I have had these for about 6 months and been having a ton of fun with them. I like you have been lookiing for a mentor on a local basis. They appear to be few and far between in Florida or at least in my area.

I live in Seffner, just East of Tampa. If you are ever in the area you are welcome to stop by.

John

P.S. And Yes, ole dogs can learn a few tricks. Ha Ha
    Thanks for the invite, I may take you up on that some day. The wife and I drive to the west cost every now and then. If your ever in Royal Palm let me know you are welcome to drop by.

Fred

Hey! I'm in west boynton beach (441 near Hypoluxo) and I go to the Lowe's & HD off Southern & 441 every so often. I am also new to CNC. So far learning g-code has been quite easy, but I'm still a bit perplexed by some of the machining basics... like figuring out best toolpaths, best toolbit sizes, speeds, docs, etc for the best finish, etc. The controller part has been quite easy for me, and I'm just about completing my CNC controller upgrade/rebuild. PM me if you want to get together and compare notes some time -- perhaps we could help each other in different areas.

Cheers,
    -Neil.

Mentors & Apprentice Locator

Hi Guys; I am located in Ft Myers near intersection I75 & Rt 78.
    Have been operating my Sherline Mill CNC'd for a few years and A sherline lathe using the Frog. Just finished converting a Grizzly SuperX3 to CNC. Drop by if in this area.
    Don

Hey Neil, I am out of the country right now but when I get back I will contact you.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by cnczoner View Post
    Hey! I'm in west boynton beach (441 near Hypoluxo) and I go to the Lowe's & HD off Southern & 441 every so often. I am also new to CNC. So far learning g-code has been quite easy, but I'm still a bit perplexed by some of the machining basics... like figuring out best toolpaths, best toolbit sizes, speeds, docs, etc for the best finish, etc. The controller part has been quite easy for me, and I'm just about completing my CNC controller upgrade/rebuild. PM me if you want to get together and compare notes some time -- perhaps we could help each other in different areas.

Cheers,
    -Neil.

Boynton Beach

hey guys.... looking to expand my knowledge, come from strong mechanical background, and willing to put the time in to learn..... i reside east of 95, south of woolbright.... please drop a line back to me here, thanks

Greetings from Coconut Creek (Ft. Lauderdale)

Any local sources for materials? Books? Machines?

Or has everything gone the way of the internet...?

Some CAD background, lots of IT know how, not much beyond basic woodworking, interested in a few basic projects for my rebreather...

Looking into a Sherline or Taig mill w/ rotary CNC setup...

-Tim

Hey guys, I'm in Stuart which is just north of Jupiter West Palm.... However I am also new to CNC, So I may not be much help. I did purchase the DVD set for BobCad V21... And I have to say it is a great tutor. I have a CNC Masters Knee Mill W/ 4th Axis

Doug

Hey Don,

I am in the Cape but work in Ft. Myers. I have an X2 mill and am getting ready to build a CNC Router. Can't get enough of this!

Tim

Hey folks, any of you want to setup a get-together sometime? Just to chat about CNC machines, etc. LMK who's interested and we can work out the details after that.

Cheers,
    -Neil

Lantana

Hi guys...

I'm new to this forum. I've been trying to find local machinists for months! Now that I've found a few, they're CNC'ers. LOL. I just bought a manual mill and lathe a few months ago. Can't really relate to CNC yet, though from the day I got my Bridgeport with power feeds and DRO, it's in the back of my mind to convert it to CNC. Maybe someday.

Anyone local have a lathe to turn a 16X1.5 thread? I'm making a part for a friend (a copy of a pool cue adapter) and didn't realize that the external thread was metric until after I did all the work!

Sherri

I wish I was a machinist before going to CNC. Writing g-code was easy for me to learn, as well as cad programs, etc. But I lack rudiments in machining -- what speeds, feeds, types of endmills etc to use. So I'm still learning that.

I have an HF 7x10 lathe, and I'm sure it will cut threads, but I have no idea how to do that. Only thing I really use it for is spinning some aluminum parts (made elsewhere) to clean up the edge with some scotchbrite pad.

Alternatively, perhaps you could find a 16 x 1.5 tap or die from places like mcmaster.

Cheers,
    -Neil.

Hi Neil...

I'd be happy to help you with speed and feeds if you need. It really isn't all that difficult. I generally use a textbook that has that info in it, but I also have a Machinery's Handbook which has the info as well. Do you have a chart that you use?

I believe the HF will cut a 1.5 mm thread if you have the change gears. There needs to be the 30,40,45,and 60 tooth gears. I've never used one of the mini lathes, but I'm sure it will work. Would you mind if I used it to turn a thread sometime?

Sherri

I have been experimenting mostly for feeds/speeds (if it breaks it's too fast :-), but lately I have been experimenting with spreadsheets that give me these numbers. Problem is that some of these spreadsheets give conflicting values. Also it also requires some chip load and other values regarding the endmills, but while learning I use el-cheapo endmills, and those don't have specs readily available.

If you know how to cut threads with it, you're welcome to use it. I'm sure I have the gears, but I need to find it, since all those parts are in boxes since I moved to this place.

Cheers,
    -Neil.

I live in North Fort Myers I have a few manual machines that I would like to convert to CNC I have been lurking here trying to learn and decide what I need to do said conversion.

Tim: I just noticed your message of last April. Sorry I missed it.
    Would be glad to meet you. I also have recently acquired a cnc router.
    Call me at 543-8432