586,598 active members*
3,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: Do you like global warming?

Voters
506. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I love it.

314 62.06%
  • No, it's bad.

192 37.94%
Page 8 of 21 67891018
    Martin...

No problem...no funding, and no opportunity to tax and control.
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson Institute
    Challenge to Scientific Consensus on Global Warming: Analysis Finds Hundreds of Scientists Have Published Evidence Countering Man-Made Global Warming Fears

WASHINGTON, Sept. 12 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A new analysis of peer-reviewed literature reveals that more than 500 scientists have published evidence refuting at least one element of current man-made global warming scares. More than 300 of the scientists found evidence that 1) a natural moderate 1,500-year climate cycle has produced more than a dozen global warmings similar to ours since the last Ice Age and/or that 2) our Modern Warming is linked strongly to variations in the sun's irradiance. "This data and the list of scientists make a mockery of recent claims that a scientific consensus blames humans as the primary cause of global temperature increases since 1850," said Hudson Institute Senior Fellow Dennis Avery.

Other researchers found evidence that 3) sea levels are failing to rise importantly; 4) that our storms and droughts are becoming fewer and milder with this warming as they did during previous global warmings; 5) that human deaths will be reduced with warming because cold kills twice as many people as heat; and 6) that corals, trees, birds, mammals, and butterflies are adapting well to the routine reality of changing climate.

Despite being published in such journals such as Science, Nature and Geophysical Review Letters, these scientists have gotten little media attention. "Not all of these researchers would describe themselves as global warming skeptics," said Avery, "but the evidence in their studies is there for all to see."

The names were compiled by Avery and climate physicist S. Fred Singer, the co-authors of the new book Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years, mainly from the peer-reviewed studies cited in their book. The researchers' specialties include tree rings, sea levels, stalagmites, lichens, pollen, plankton, insects, public health, Chinese history and astrophysics.

"We have had a Greenhouse Theory with no evidence to support it-except a moderate warming turned into a scare by computer models whose results have never been verified with real-world events," said co-author Singer. "On the other hand, we have compelling evidence of a real-world climate cycle averaging 1470 years (plus or minus 500) running through the last million years of history. The climate cycle has above all been moderate, and the trees, bears, birds, and humans have quietly adapted."

"Two thousand years of published human histories say that the warm periods were good for people," says Avery. "It was the harsh, unstable Dark Ages and Little Ice Age that brought bigger storms, untimely frost, widespread famine and plagues of disease." "There may have been a consensus of guesses among climate model-builders," says Singer. "However, the models only reflect the warming, not its cause." He noted that about 70 percent of the earth's post-1850 warming came before 1940, and thus was probably not caused by human-emitted greenhouse gases. The net post-1940 warming totals only a tiny 0.2 degrees C.

The historic evidence of the natural cycle includes the 5000-year record of Nile floods, 1st-century Roman wine production in Britain, and thousands of museum paintings that portrayed sunnier skies during the Medieval Warming and more cloudiness during the Little Ice Age. The physical evidence comes from oxygen isotopes, beryllium ions, tiny sea and pollen fossils, and ancient tree rings. The evidence recovered from ice cores, sea and lake sediments, cave stalagmites and glaciers has been analyzed by electron microscopes, satellites, and computers. Temperatures during the Medieval Warming Period on California's Whitewing Mountain must have been 3.2 degrees warmer than today, says Constance Millar of the U.S. Forest Service, based on her study of seven species of relict trees that grew above today's tree line.

Singer emphasized, "Humans have known since the invention of the telescope that the earth's climate variations were linked to the sunspot cycle, but we had not understood how. Recent experiments have demonstrated that more or fewer cosmic rays hitting the earth create more or fewer of the low, cooling clouds that deflect solar heat back into space-amplifying small variations in the intensity of the sun.

Avery and Singer noted that there are hundreds of additional peer-reviewed studies that have found cycle evidence, and that they will publish additional researchers' names and studies. They also noted that their book was funded by Wallace O. Sellers, a Hudson board member, without any corporate contributions.

Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1500 Years is available from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Unstoppable-Gl.../dp/0742551172 /ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-6773465-0779318?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189603742&sr=1-1

For more information, please contact Dennis Avery, Hudson Institute Senior Fellow and co-author of Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1500 Years, at 540-337-6354: Email: [email protected]
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Global warming is having serious implications on the DEATH of our provinces Pine tree forest!

I can see some of you have not seen or experienced the effects of climate change or perhaps think it is not real. I can tell you it is very very real. Any of you who know of someone that is in there 70s or 80s and have lived in your area all there life go a head and ask them what the weather was like when they were young enough to recall in there teen years.

I have received Reponses of "Yes the Fraiser River was frozen over for at least four weeks when I was a teenager or "Yes, I recall the flooded fields of the fraiser valley were frozen over for at least 8 weeks of the winter.

Well this does not happen here anymore in British Columbia BC. I am now into my 40s and now recall even while living in Washington State the severe blizzards and cold snaps including snowstorms that used to accumulate up to two feet high.

People what I am saying is that human kind is under serious threat by global warming because if its to warm to snow at sea level it is to warm for it to accumulate in the mountains that feed 1/3 of the worlds population with fresh supply of clean drinking water.

The ramification of global warming is in the last seven years ARE KILLING our forest by the indirect activity of the mountain pine beetle.

The mountain pine beetle has ALWAYS been in our forest but most of beetle population dies off in the winter when the interior of BC and Washington State experiences a severe arctic blast lasting for at least a week of minus 15 to 30 below C temperatures.

Since these events rarely have happened the beetle population has exploded to extraordinary sizes. The Mountain Pine Beetle have devoured 40% of or pine forest. What does 40% of the pine forest equate to? That is roughly 1/3 the size of California. Please look at these pictures of the BC pine forest involved in a mass die off because the pine beetle has chewed there way though them without the threat of a arctic blast killing them off every year.

Some pictures are located at googles image gallery. Just type in “ Mountain Pine Beetle”

As of Last year the Mountain Pine Beetle has spread its wings by the hundreds of million and taken flight in by chance high loft winds and flew into the Alberta forest only to start the distruction process in this pristine forest.

The same wide spread distruction is also happening in the Washington state forest as we speak and other states.

Global warming is a serios issue. The Scintist are right if we do not do something now we all will suffer the consequences with a vanishing water and food supply and out of control heat waves.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinoman View Post
    Global warming is a serios issue. The Scintist are right if we do not do something now we all will suffer the consequences with a vanishing water and food supply and out of control heat waves.

The ramification of global warming is in the last seven years ARE KILLING our forest by the indirect activity of the mountain pine beetle.
    We'd better get started building those nuclear power stations to run the desalination plants then! More heat, CO2 and water to grow MORE food.

Don't pine beetles have natural predators, or have we killed them off by crop spraying? How about breeding super bugs that only eat the pine beetles? This will be easier, cheaper and more likely to actually happen than stopping climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by dynosor View Post
    .....Don't pine beetles have natural predators, or have we killed them off by crop spraying? How about breeding super bugs that only eat the pine beetles? This will be easier, cheaper and more likely to actually happen than stopping climate change.
    Unfortunately they only "predators" for the Pine Beetle are a quick and prolonged cold snap in the early winter or forest fires. It is a bit simplistic to blame the current Pine Beetle epidemic on Global Warming. For one thing Global Warming involves changes of 1, maybe 2 degrees C over the past 50 to 100 years; the winter temperature variations involved with the Pine Beetle survival are between -40 and -10. It is much more likely that this is simply related to cyclical variations in weather because it is well established that these occur. The best evidence for this is to look at the variation in the width of annual growth rings on very big very old trees. These form bands of wide and narrow over times spans ranging from maybe 30 years or so up to a few hundred.

In the case of the Pine Beetle, however, it is not just a change in winter weather it is also an increase in tree density mostly due to diligent fire suppression. It is literally a case fof the beetles not needing to travel as far to the next suitable tree coupled with the fact that they have not been culled by a good fire for decades.

I do agree that breeding super bugs to control them does have about the same chance of success as stopping climate change; zero in both cases.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

nil

Climate change is here to stay, no matter what we do. We can argue all we want on why this has occured. I think the only sensible thing to do is to prepare for the situation. No doubt we will experience some loss of animal and plant life....that has happen throughout history....even before man exist on this earth. We can perhaps spend some resources trying to save some species but there may be others that are just going to disappear no matter what we do.
    Why can't we prepare for our survival by ensuring that we have some form of "safety net", and also find out how we can make it bearable in case of an extreme situation occuring in the future. We have the technology that can be of benefit to the coming generations. Why not use it instead of having all this blame and counter blame?

Quote Originally Posted by Prosper View Post
    Climate change is here to stay, no matter what we do.
    Then let's do nothing! Especially avoid doing anything rash that we may regret later.

Hi Dynosor,
    Doing nothing is most probably the best solution, and I cannot dispute that. However, we live in an everchanging world. With climate change, many people in many countries will be affected, some mildly but others might even face loss of livelihood and even their very existance.
    I think that it is in human nature to survive, and to shape their environment in such a way that any threats to their survival are minimised. You can see all those things around you everyday. We bulid roads we build dams and power stations, high rise buildings and so on. We no longer live in caves or chase after wild animals for food..we farm or grow them, we now also change their genetic structure to produce better characteristics for better output....etc.
    So, we can expect a lot of changes in the future. Most parts of Holland would not exist if not for the "dikes" or dams that the citizens of Holland built to protect thenselves from the ever increasing threats of the rising seas since the early ages.
    We also start wars and cause untold death and sufferings to innocent people of the countries that we perceive are threats to our way of life.
    I think that with humans living on this planet, there will always be some form of change occuring when their survival is under threat. Not to do so is like the complete destruction of people living in villages close to volcanos and their refusal to leave the area.... For them, their destruction and non existance is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by dynosor View Post

Don't pine beetles have natural predators, or have we killed them off by crop spraying? How about breeding super bugs that only eat the pine beetles? This will be easier, cheaper and more likely to actually happen than stopping climate change.
    Dynosor

INCREDIBLE absolutely incredible.

Pine Beetles in BC and Alberta are the tip of the iceberg of coming problems.

You are advocating SUPER BUGS for the pine beetles and I guess water producing SUPER BUGS for drought areas, and sand producing SUPER BUGS for areas that will have to deal with rising water levels and ......

Given your band aid approach to the problem I should go into the SUPER BUG business.

Quote Originally Posted by rancherbill View Post
    You are advocating SUPER BUGS for the pine beetles and I guess water producing SUPER BUGS for drought areas, and sand producing SUPER BUGS for areas that will have to deal with rising water levels and ......
    Silly, but more likely to happen than a 50% reduction in CO2 emissions by 2050.

The difference is that the pine beetle problem is real while the CO2 problem is political.

Draughts, floods... sounds like a list of side effect that include "may cause erectile dysfuntion, may cause priapism"...

what happened to all the trash that was giong to fill every inch of the planet? you cant use 30yrs of info to say climate change let alone pic of ice and say look the ice is gone
    i would like for the water to come up a foot or so then i can get my big boat into my canal.

Well, I have visited a few countries during my lifetime, and I have seen very unusual things, experienced the different cultures of many people and learn a few languages in the process...
    We live in a beautiful and wonderful world, and among all the planets in our solar system, we have the most ideal environment to live and enjoy our lives. Yet, we are happy to destroy it without much thought. What is hapiness really? having lots of money? power to control others? fame?
    My idea of hapiness is having good health, family, close friends, and sharing what I have...

We live in a beautiful and wonderful world, and among all the planets in our solar system, we have the most ideal environment to live and enjoy our lives. .
    Yes, we do. As far as we know... But they're getting warming as we speak. Perhaps some day they'll be warm enough to support life as we know it.

Yet, we are happy to destroy it without much thought.
    Huh? This is the biggest scam, err, I mean debate in history. How is that not giving it much thought? I'd say there's been more thought put into this than just about anything so far. Wouldn't you?

For the record, I'm all for reducing pollution, like we've been trying to do for 20 years, and it's working. But I'm not ready to wipe out everything we know about civilization to try to stop something that's going to happen anyway.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ozone layer was wrong. the south pole hole closed up. when every one agrees there always wrong and the U.N. etc agrees.the plants i.e weeds have grown more in the past years,the alge in the oceans has never been study, this uses co2. give the planet a few years and say good bye to this problem too. theres been more co2 in the past and this is now laying on the ocean floor. we know nothing and should never agree on anything.

"For the record, I'm all for reducing pollution, like we've been trying to do for 20 years, and it's working. But I'm not ready to wipe out everything we know about civilization to try to stop something that's going to happen anyway."

Hey man, I'm not talking about any country in particular, and i know that many developed countries are doing their best to curb emissions.. Sorry if I did not specify that there are countries that are faced with the dilemma of reducing emissons or suffer illness. Take China for instance, I recently visited China and I could not see the sun at all....the sky is hazy all day and also I could hardly see any stars. If that is not pollution that can cause illness and death to humans and animals etc., then what is pollution? Is this kind of pollution going to be a localised in its place of origin? I don't know...
    Also, war and destruction going on everywhere....need I say more? I got my doubts on the "CO2" debate, but I rather not say more because I seem to hit on some people's nerve. I was on another forum and I was called ignorant etc., because I disagreed or doubted whether we are really responsible for climate change.

"For the record, I'm all for reducing pollution, like we've been trying to do for 20 years, and it's working. But I'm not ready to wipe out everything we know about civilization to try to stop something that's going to happen anyway."

Hey man, I'm not talking about any country in particular, and i know that many developed countries are doing their best to curb emissions.. Sorry if I did not specify that there are countries that are faced with the dilemma of reducing emissons or suffer illness. Take China for instance, I recently visited China and I could not see the sun at all....the sky is hazy all day and also I could hardly see any stars. If that is not pollution that can cause illness and death to humans and animals etc., then what is pollution? Is this kind of pollution going to be a localised in its place of origin? I don't know...
    Also, war and destruction going on everywhere....need I say more? I got my doubts on the "CO2" debate, but I rather not say more because I seem to hit on some people's nerve. I was on another forum and I was called ignorant etc., because I disagreed or doubted whether we are really responsible for climate change.
    We can't always control what other countries do. My point was about Kyoto and justification for not signing it.

As for war, I can't find a time in history that a war wasn't going on. Luckily for US, this war is much less dangerous for our US kids that are fighting out there for the freedom of others.

Voicing your opinion against man made global warming will soon be a felony.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Sure, I can understand that every country must decide what is best for its progress and economic security. I know that the USA is one of the leading countries trying to do the right thing for its citizens in reducing emissions, and balancing its options....
    You are right that war is prevalent since human existance. I was only thinking that there must be a way out of this "game" if we want our human existance to reach a "higher level".
    The reason why I am trying to find answers on this forum is because there is a need inside me to do something to help future generations live a better life. Someone told me that as we grow older, we begin to become more questioning, and trying to find the truth about our existance...I wonder how true this is...

You are right that war is prevalent since human existance. I was only thinking that there must be a way out of this "game" if we want our human existance to reach a "higher level".
    What a great topic. It will take one of two things to unite the world; 1) a global catastrophe, or 2) aliens from outer space (not kidding)
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Yes, I think you are right...What an utopian dream to think that humans could live live peacefully among themselves...
    Aliens from outer space to help us run our affairs? ..may be better than complete destruction??!

Aliens from outer space to help us run our affairs?
    No. Think Star Trek, First Contact. Aliens from outer space to make us realize how much we are really the same.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

..."how much we are really the same".... Sure, then let us prepare for an eventual war....now it will be in space...., so help us Great Manito!!!

Page 8 of 21 67891018