586,469 active members*
3,043 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: Do you like global warming?

Voters
506. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I love it.

314 62.06%
  • No, it's bad.

192 37.94%
Page 15 of 21 51314151617
    Quote Originally Posted by dynosor View Post
    Refining gold is a very dirty business.
    Mining gold is a dirty business. Refining gold is a dirty business.
    Surprise, surprise.....recycling gold is a dirty business.

...While working on a project on problems with a heap-leach operation here in Nevada I was lucky enough to get to watch a "pour". Don't remember what the approximate net value was, but there was about a 1/2 dozen solid gold ingots at least. It's something to see.

They would't let me keep the booties I had to put on when I went in. Darn.

When I was out there it was cost effective to mine as long as the gold price was over $250/oz, and their nominal grade of ore was .08oz gold per ton of ore. A ton is about 3 55gal barrels of dirt, and as I recall, the gold, at that grade, is about a 3/16" cube. Pretty impressive technology when you think about it.

(heap-leaching is where they mill the ore, often in the range of .1ozgold/ton ore, pile it up 10-20ft deep over a rubber liner spanning an acre or more..then drip cyanide through to gather up the gold. The cyanide collects in a pond. Then they filter or electroplate the gold out)

Quote Originally Posted by canwong View Post
    Adjust the tempreture of AC to 26 degree, use public transpotation as more as possible, do whatever you can do to save this planet. that is my goal
    well do more if you feel it really exists - don't operate anything on a street made with oil products; don't buy products that have to be shipped to you; don't eat anything that you don't produce or is produced using oil energy; don't drive, use a car or truck or even ride in one; don't watch tv or use a computer or buy any products made with oil products - like your bike; and before i forget - don't use energy to heat or cool your house; don't eat meat, don't wear fur; don't kill animals or hurt them - the same goes for fish or birds - and remember that plants can feel pain; and here is a picture of your future home/environment -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails africian village 2632673930026944022XDIqKA_fs.jpg  

I think the cat's got everyone's tongue....dead silence on all fronts.....perhaps the shock/horror revelations of the mud hut mob has sent everyone diving for cover.

There's a very good magazine called The Mother Earth Almanac or something or other....where everyone goes back to living on the land and dig turnips and potatoes etc for a sustainable lifestyle.

One of the things they showed was a rammed earth mud hut/house....yes made out of earth rammed tight in a framework to form walls etc, roofed over with whatever is available, probably thatch or something similiar.

Looking at the photo in the last post reminds me of the house in that article, except it was a bit more sophisticated, and appeared to be like a normal house build except for the tightly packed earth walls which were about a foot thick or more, but earth is cheap, "dirt cheap"....LOL....the right earth that is, must have a high clay content to make it stick together, and a good hard wood frame to resist rot.

Now that was a strange coincidence in itself, because 2 years ago our photo club was temporarily relocated to a community house run by the adjacent burough council of Springvale in Victoria in the Lucky Country, and the community house was made form a wood framed rammed earth construction....couldn't tell the difference if'n it was made from a cement block rendered finish construction, except it had a softer fill and a limewash render.

But that's where the "back to nature" aspect stopped, polished hardwood floors, tiled kitchen and toilet flourescent lighting and various other things that made it 21st century compatible for group functions without deteriorating from wear and tear.

I don't think the hut in the photo is very "sophisticated", liveable yes, but pretty down to earth and temporary by Western standards, and not the "desirable" residence for the home owner/invester that the Western World has come to view the modern domecile of today, but in their world that is the normal "state of the art" DIY technology that will last to the end of time, long after the White House and every other Western form of abode cease to exist.

I somehow don't think that form of house would appeal to a highly paid business executive after a days commuting to the smoky city and returning to the "be it ever so humble" earthen ware home.....but it may yet be the norm.

Somebody said, "change the way you look at things, and the way things look will change".
    Ian.

Hi, Global warming is the increase in the average temperature of Earth's near-surface air and oceans since the mid-20th century and its projected continuation. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lamin View Post
    Hi, Global warming is the increase in the average temperature of Earth's near-surface air and oceans since the mid-20th century and its projected continuation. Thanks!

if you are correct then why was earth day started in 1970 - actually in one week it will be 41 years - AND IT WAS STARTED TO PREVENT GLOBAL COOLING.

there could not be an average temp in the 50's because we did not do scientific temp measurement with all variables noted, at the same exact time all over the world until we got all the sat's up in the air and capable of doing it at identicle times and also taking all variables into account.
    what variables - temp of the sun, solar flares, phases of the moon which effect tides and hence temp, angle of the earth on its axis, which effects which part of the earth faces the sun longest and how much of the earth faces the sun, effect of things like mt st helens putting a cubic mile of durt into the atmoshpere, sadam setting the oil fields on fire, and earthquakes putting dust into the air, how much the chineese and indians are putting into the air with their coal and oil fired plants - they put one on line ever other day, just for a small sample.

when you get all that figured out MAYBE we can get a model, but until then i'm not going to run around yelling the sky is warming and changing my life so you can feel good about yourself and wasting all the energy you think you are entitled to waste because in your ming what you do is for the common good.

did you know that obama flys in a personal trainer from chicago 2 to 3 times a week - how much do crap goes into the air because he cant find a trainer in washington dc to give him and his baby mommy a workout?

infantry11b.......

You're talking to a spammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zumba View Post
    What's your opinion on Global Warming?
    I enjoy the cooler weather it brings here in AZ, and even the increased snow we've enjoyed the last couple years.

Seriously, I never thought that Mugabe (Our appeaser in chief) would actually be able to cool things down rather than just spewing more hot air about this whole worthless boondoggle of a political scare tactic.

I'm loving it. :banana:

with all this man made global warming does anyone know of any place that has surrendered to the rising oceans?

Yeah ... found forum where folks fighting with global warming very seriosly
    Muller Dynamo
    Oh dear ... cant understand is it some kind of joke or gallows humor
    Have a nice weekend,
    herbert

This particular contraption looks so nicely built it will probably generate more energy than it uses, so it'll probably blow itself up with efficiency long before mankind has the opportunity to study it!

I just caught the new theory behind global warming on one of the leftist propoganda channels - methane gas. yes, it is not carbon anymore, it's methane gas trapped in the polar ice caps.
    of course every human, for that matter, every mammel, makes methane gas.
    that one breaks down to - too many humans infesting the world.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    This particular contraption looks so nicely built it will probably generate more energy than it uses, so it'll probably blow itself up with efficiency long before mankind has the opportunity to study it!

Infantry11b,

You've hit the nail on the head; too many people. The earth and its resources is a finite commodity and we can't simply keep doubling its population without dire consequences for all.

In Australia our deadbeat federal government is trying to introduce a carbon tax. They are going to punish "big polluters" by imposing a tax on carbon emissions. A lot of industries will be spared the tax but power and fuel will be hit. This means the "big polluters" are the average citizens who will immediately have to pay another tax.

But all is not lost; the government proposes to return 90% of the revenue to industry and low wage earners to compensate them for the tax impost and invest a massive 10% into renewable energy. This is after the necessary bureaucracy has taken its share of the takings. Paradoxically, the government has also seen fit to remove or scale back financial incentives for people to install insulation, PV arrays and solar hot water systems.

The government admits that Australia emits a piddling 1% of the world's greenhouse gasses so we are a minnow polluter, however they feel it necessary to make a "moral stand" at the expense of all Australians whilst we continue to ship millions of tonnes of coal to China and India's power stations. China and India haven't chosen to impose a carbon tax so I guess their emissions don't count.

As for limiting population in Australia? Both sides of politics want to see a massive increase in immigration so that we can dig up and export as much of our limited mineral wealth as quickly as possible.

If we wish to maintain a semblance of our western lifestyles then a concerted effort to halt or reverse population growth is imperative. I don't hear anyone in politics talking about population control, so I guess all of the drivel about global warming and taxes to somehow alleviate this supposed threat is simply hot air and a back door way of increasing taxes that will have no beneficial effects for the environment.

Fashion Institute

Then burning oil/gas is just the same surely as that is only old trees
    and organic junk?

I remember various villains such as sulphur dioxide (which spawned the gas industry) and oxides of nitrogen (which spawned the catalyst industry).
    I am sure those working for those industries did very well out of them and also found a good use for platinum.

The neurotic nature of the human race never ceases to amaze.

I suppose when the government slaps big penalties on Farmer Giles because his cows fart too much, they will keep quiet on how much the surveillance industry is adding to global warming or indeed how much the Iraq War has added to global warming.

I just loved being preached to by the BBC when in the background of the presenter there is about 50,000 monitors on with nobody watching.

Fashion Designing Institute

Quote Originally Posted by infantry11b View Post
    if you are correct then why was earth day started in 1970 - actually in one week it will be 41 years - AND IT WAS STARTED TO PREVENT GLOBAL COOLING.
    Earth Day: The History of A Movement | Earth Day Network

Earth day was founded to promote the prevention of pollution not global cooling.BTW if you go to that page there is a video on it of a national news story from 1970 announcing Earthday.....it ends with the announcer talking about ....global warming melting the ice caps.

I remember quite vividly the first Earth Day. What a great excuse to get laid!

It was all about stopping pollution. The coming ice age of doom was just getting going, and didn't hit till a couple of years later.

What's really funny about Earth Day, is that we've gone from an impending ice age, to the fires of hell in just 40 short years. Geologically? Not even a gnat fart.

This link is pretty good on global cooling:
    “Global Cooling” started Earth Day 39 years ago! « 22MOON.COM

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post

What's really funny about Earth Day, is that we've gone from an impending ice age, to the fires of hell in just 40 short years. Geologically? Not even a gnat fart.

This link is pretty good on global cooling:
    “Global Cooling” started Earth Day 39 years ago! « 22MOON.COM
    Strangely enough the link I provided had an recording of the news from 1970 where the announcer talked about earthday. While it is clear from the announcer that earthday was started to curb pollution he ends his segment with a brief mention of global warming caused by greenhouse gasses.

Of course I realize news media tend to only present the "hype" and during the early to mid 70's the scientific community was divided as to if we were going to experience global warming or cooling. As they learned more the general consensus of the scientific community became that the world was going to experience global warming

I also realize that political bloggers online, news pundits on the radio or tv and politicians are poor sources of real information

The bottom line despite what Rush and his ilk would have you believe, the scientists who study climate have the general consensus that global warming is occurring. That in the early to mid 70's they did not have a general consensus and there was scientific documents both supporting global cooling and global warming. As more was learned it became clear to the scientific community that global warming due to green house gases was occurring.

On the other hand, while the scientific community agrees that we should lower our production of greenhouse gases the actual implementation of this will involve the governments which means it will involve politicians. Unfortunately the politicians who are trying to appear proactive about global warming tend to support carbon credits and similar systems. Most of these appear to be expensive and ineffective and look like they are more of a business opportunity for middle men to make money off reselling the credits.

In fact when Scientific America (the magazine) reviewed the European Union carbon credit system they came to just that conclusion, saying it was a system that generate large incomes for the middlemen and did little or even nothing to actually reduce carbon pollution. Scientific America did say that the EU system did transfer money to developing nations but most went into the middleman's pockets and the money that went to the developing nations often made no difference in the amount of pollution generated. They gave a few examples that I remember. A lot of the money went to China to build hydroelectric dams, which China was gong to build even if they had not received the carbon credit money. (personally I wonder why we are trying to build china up as we have already given them most of our manufacturing base)

Another example was money given to companies in nigeria to have them stop burning off excess gas at oilfields, a practice which is illegal in Nigeria. By no longer burning off the excess gas they produced less carbon which means they generated carbon credits. They could sell these credits to a broker for about $10 a credit, the broker's would then resell the credits to European companies for $70-80 a credit allowing the European company to continue emmitting a high level of carbon. Since the Nigerian company had to stop burning the gases off because Nigerian law prohibited it the credit money really did not reduce any carbon emmisions.

From the dark ages of ignorance the Humans descended into the age of enlightenment when anything and everything that pleased them was OK, now they're ascending into the age of ignorance once again, and maybe, just maybe they'll forget how it was when they assumed they had upset the balance of Nature, and in their ignorance thought they were the cause of the weather changing day by day as it always has done.......Gods with clay feet indeed, whose existence can be measured as just a moment in time.
    Ian.

Page 15 of 21 51314151617