586,069 active members*
3,441 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > Sprutcam post processor for metric units

Sprutcam post processor for metric units

Hi

Any one in this group is using Sprutcam with Syil post processor modified for metric units? I downloaded the post processor of this software from Syil America site but I can't use it with milimeters.

Thanks.

Sotos Christoforou

Postprocessor

I don't believe the post processor cares which unit system you are in. The units are selected within Sprutcam under Options -> Edit -> Measurement Units. The same post processor is used for either. - Terry

Sprut cam postprocessor

Hi Terry.

Are you using a metric profile and you find that the problem is solved with this way? I tried this processor with the profile of Syil America (both downloaded from the same site) and it works fine. When I tried to use it with different profile set to metric units the tool is getting in a strange circular path cutting anything in the surface of working material. I tried this experiment in plastic in order to define this problem beyond the early stages (and save my tool as well). The settings of units in this software are already set as you suggest but it looks that this processor is not switchable for both.

Sotos

It is not generally possible to create a Sprutcam postprocessor that will suit both metric and imperial units. This is because the registers that create and format the output for the G-code can only be set for a specific format.
    Metric units normally work in a 4:3 format (e.g. 1234.567) and imperial generally use 3:4 (i.e. 123.4567).

When I have a customer who is using both metric and imperial, I will create two separate postprocessors to suit.
    I would also recommend setting the 'Tolerance (digits)' value in SprutCAM to be one greater than the number of digits after the decimal point. For example, if you are using 4:3 format (metric) I would use 4 and if using 3:4 I would use 5.
    The reason for doing this is to allow the postprocessor to 'round' the output values which can sometimes help when problems with circles/arcs are encountered on a machine.

I don't know if this is any help to you........let me know if you can't get it sorted and I'll try and help where I can.

Dave

Sprutcam Postprocessor cont.

Dave,
    I guess I'm confussed and maybe this should be taken to another forum, but... Is the Tormach PCNC1100 Sprutcam post processor that you've helped optimize set up for metric or imperial? I have been using it for imperial and I'm pretty sure others have been using it for metric. With the mix of imperial/metric Tormach users it seems this issue has never come up before. - Terry

Terry, I've just had a quick look and it's actually set up with a 5:3 format, so it'll work best for metric.
    It may be that the control on the Tormach (Mach?) is not ultra fussy about the arc data. I personally would change it to 4:4 format and that would probably suit 'all comers' in this instance.......it depends if the control will accept G-code to 4 decimal places when running in metric.......
    I noticed that the postprocessor does not specify metric/imperial units, do you have to set the control to the required units and it just accepts whatever is sent as being in those units........?

Dave

Sprut cam postprocessor

Hi Dave

I sorted something from what you pointed out regarding this procedure and I think you are right. I tried to edit the current imperial set processor changing the ratio of digits as you sugest. I didn't try to machine anything yet but the toolpath in Mach screen is defining clearly the shape of the part I want to machine something I couldn't do before. I checked each toolpath line one by one as they are hilighted when you scroll down the code and I didn't found any strange direction to any one of them. I will work with my milling machine on next weekend and I will let you know in case of anything wrong.

Thanks for your support.

Sotos