586,070 active members*
3,474 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question about Haas A axis

Hey guys it's been quite a while since I was on the forum. I have a couple of questions about a Haas 4th axis. We have an HRTA6 (which is similar to the 210). I haven't been on the haas in quite a while so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Been running our router mostly for my work.

So here's the things that I have questions about. Today my coworker was running the mill with the 4th set up and was cutting an oval shape that he was essentially spiral cutting from what I could see. He ran into a couple of problems, and asked me about them.

First is there a maximum number of revolutions that the rotary can make before an error alarm occurs. He said he got an error message saying the rotary reached the maximum number of revolutions or travel. I don't know what the exact error code was. I was reading on the forum that one possible cause could be there are many revs. logged in the G92 offset and this could cause the message. I read that there is a way to clear it but don't quite understand how to do that. I find it a little hard to belive that we could have reached the max revolutions in the registry since mainly the work done on the 4th has been indexing.

Also he was expirencing issues with feedrates not matchng what he programmed in Mastercam. He asked me about a max feedrate. I know there is one, and looked it up in the manual. From what I read and understand the max is logged as 60 degrees per second. So if i understand the manual correctly, and what I read on the forum, the machine control will calculate the revolution speed based upon the programmed feedrate of ipm. Is this correct? I also saw that there needs to be a diameter entered into the control for the stock, to do do this type of machining. But from what I recall this is not necessary for only index machining. Am I Correct? so say for instance in the case of my coworker machining the oval stock he probably needs to have an overall diameter entered into the controller for the size at maximum rotation. does that sound right? then the machine will calculate and compensate the speed of the rotation on the A axis based upon this diameter, to do the sumtaneous milling in all 4 axis movements.

I know this may sound kind of vague but ub=ntil I get to talk to him more and see his program I am only going based upon what he told me.

Chris

Maximum Rotation/Step is 999.999 degrees and you can do that 999 times. Is that just with the controller? Speed is from 0.001 to 100 °/sec. Entering the diameter is for full 4th axis machining and not needed for indexing.

At the end of your program enter G91 A0. to reset the axis. That is the best way to do it.

CNC | Haas Automation, Inc. | HRTA6 - SPECIFICATIONS |

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Chris,
    The speed of your HRTA6 depends on the internal components, they have varied by generation.

Here is an article about winding up your rotary:

Quick Rotary Unwind | Haas

If you are using the 4th as an indexer only, you do not need to set the diameter.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Mike and Ken,

Thanks for for info. It seems a little easier to understand with fresh fresh eyes this morning. But one thing I don't understand is if there is actually a place on the controller that shows the number of revolutions that the rotary has made. I'm sure it's [probably something simple that I overlooked in the machine and reading the forums last night.

Chris

CURNT COMDS page will show you the A axis position in the upper right corner. You use the cursor buttons to scroll through MACHINE, DIST TO GO, OPERATOR or WORK G54 coordinates.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Geof,

Thanks for the input. I know about what you mentioned. I guess I was looking it from a different point of view thinking that there would be a registry of how many times the unit rotated somewhere else, like maybe it was keeoing a history that had to be cleared. But now it makes more sense when i think about it. It would just be tracking the current rotations of the cycle. I feel like an idiot for looking at it that way. In retrospect I guess being overly tired and a newbie to simultameous 4th axis work, has me thinking it has to be some really complicated thing that requires a complicated fix. Thank god for old timers and heavy users to help set me straight. I've been doing CNC work for quite a number of years, but the higher end 4th work is still somewhat of a mystery to me outside of the indexing work.

I appreciate you guys chiming in to shed some light on the subject for me and not making me feel to bad for asking what are probably basic questions.

So anyhow thank you.

Chris