586,655 active members*
2,898 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > GibbsCAM communications

GibbsCAM communications

Hello,
    We are old school, just got GibbsCAM, upgraded from "The Gibbs System" on mac's....
    What are the tricks to getting GibbsCAM to communicate to 9 Fadals??
    We have a couple "A-B" switch boxes now.. will that do?
    I'd like to convert the 25 pin connectors to something smaller like an ethernet connector (at the pc end).
    Is this doable?
    Thanks

Your same connections should work on the new system, just need to check the settings, Parity, Baud, Com Port, etc.

You might be able to network the Fadals if they have ethernet support.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Connections

Very simple,

If you want to use CAT-5 ethernet lines then just make them a straight through cable with RJ-45 ends on them. Then get the plugs that are RJ-45 to DB-25 for the mill side and RJ-45 to DB-9 on the computer side (if you are using a 9 pin serial).

Pin out the plugs just like your current cable is. That is all nothing else to it.

You can run ethernet directly to the fadal control and network the drive if you have 32MP controls on them (they are the PC control). If you have 88HS controls, you will need to do the serial thing.

All the settings in Gibbs should set up the same as the Gibbs System did.

GG

I have done the rj45 and db25 thing and it works wonderfully! But in the past I have only had to upload to the machine. Lately I have want'ed to downld from machine to computer and it dosent seem to work. both machines just hang there waiting... waiting... any suggestions?

I have used a Windows based Loading / DNC program provided by fadal or Gibbs. You may want to contact one of them for support
    What this program does is saves the G-Code program to a specific windows folder while in Gibbs . then you start the DNC program find the G-Code program and down load or run DNC. when it is time to come back set DNC program to recive and send back from machine this had alwasy worked well for me
    Sorry I cant tell you what the name of the DNC program is saying I dont work at that company any more
    I used this on a Fadal that had the windows set-up right on the machine control.

You can use the GIBBS communication software built in but it does have limitations on how many ports it can communicate to. This software supports COMM 1 through 4 only therefore, if you plan to use a multiple port hub which would give your PC more comm ports, it would not do the job. You could step up to the Predator CNC Editor and set all 9 comm ports (all 9 Fadals) and communicate back and forth one at a time. No messing with toggles, switches, software settings each time.

If you want to start out with a switch box, it will do the job. You will need to set all the machines to the same settings, and pull all of the cables back to the switch box. Toggle one at a time and your there.

Strong word of advise, Ethernet cable is designed for PCs not CNCs. CAT5/6 cable typically has very low shielding because it relies on protocols like TCP/IP. This is an error correcting protocol, where CNCs use Xon/Xoff typically. Miss a X, Y, Z and scrap your part just because you used the wrong cable. It only takes 3 wires to make it go but how fast, how far, and how reliable is all in quesion. Furthermore, the cable is twisted pair typically. You do not want to use the same pair, for example, blue, blue white, green , green white for your send / receive lines. You just created an antenna.

Many customers copy our Grizzly RS232 Cables and we are flattered. No problem, just use the correct cable and connectors. Wire it correctly and you will have no problems. Data loss, noise, random characters, will drive someone crazy even after they have run CAT5 for years and then wonder what happen.

Let me know if you need more help with the Gibbs. Predator and Gibbs work together.
    Greg Mercurio
    Shop Floor Automations, Inc.
    www.shopfloorautomations.com
    (619) 461-4000 Tel