586,795 active members*
2,507 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Glass, Plastic and Stone > polishing stone with CNC machine

Question polishing stone with CNC machine

Hi,

Is anyone out there who is achieving a good polishing on stone (marble granite) with a CNC machine like a CMS Brembana or a Bavelloni Egar320.

I just can't get a satisfying result, these polishing wheels are always leaving fine visible horizontal lines which need to be touched up by hand. To costly and very annoying.

I would be very grateful if anyone could give me a hint how to achieve a better polishing.

Juergen

Try To Use The Vincent Rubber Are The Best

Always gonna have lines bro, comes with the territory of machined polish. Some may have smaller and less visable lines but they'll still be there. Now, if they made polish wheels that were twice as thick and they oscillated then that'd be different. That and like HuFlungDung posted elsewhere earlier, add a bit of randomization to the degrees of that movement and your got yourself a nice polish.

Its just too bad that we work with other profiles instead of just straight T(pencil edge) all the time =)~ then again who says that they cant produce a polish wheel that conforms to the surface its polishing.

Resin polish Bricks used in conjunction with dynamic compensation on natural stone processing machines prooduce a line free finish because of the abrasive nature of the poliishing positions
    PS...Vincent rubbers can blow me....they have horrible service and the diamon strips do not have enough grit to produce line free polish in natural stone....resins all the way...ask anyone who knows....trust me on this! I dont mean to be nasty but it is true

I have had good success with many different toolmakers keeping the lines to a minimum. Vincent, ADI, Nicoli, they all make good tools. I have had good results with different types of polish wheels also, clay or rubber. Sometimes it just depends on the stone, but more so, it depends on how you have been taking care of your tooling. Keeping your tools dressed and calibrated is your two best bets for minimizing your lines.

Paul

Making chips,
    Agree with everything you said, however: rubbers require a 110% perfect setup all the time with almost no where on the tools to produce a perfect finish...if you can afford to purcahse new metals every three months...this may work....I find that the abrasive ,aggressive, and corrective nature of the resins is the most cost effective solution for polishing as it extends the life of quality polish even after the metals have been beaten up a bit

Egar,

I have had 0 lines on a Z profile using rubber polish wheel with osolation of the Z axis. Much of what I use for polishing depends on the profile. I will always use resin for triple pencil, and ogee. I have had great polishes with both. If I had to pick though, I would agree with you and take resin.