586,560 active members*
3,911 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF-2: Will Kurt D688 fit?

Hey guys, I'm buying a VF-2SS and need to buy my vices, but can't get a straight answer out of my dealer about whether or now Kurt's longer 6" vice (D688) will fit on the table without running into the sheetmetal. I'd prefer to bolt the vice down to the center T-slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    Hey guys, I'm buying a VF-2SS and need to buy my vices, but can't get a straight answer out of my dealer about whether or now Kurt's longer 6" vice (D688) will fit on the table without running into the sheetmetal. I'd prefer to bolt the vice down to the center T-slot.
    You will have no problem. The vise can hang out almost one inch behind the table and still be clear of the way covers. Mounted to the center tee slot the D688 is back about an inch from the edge of the table. You can easily mount the Kurt 6" Duolock vise on the VF2.

And if you are running multiple parts think hard about getting the Duolock; it is about twice the price but you can recover that in a short time when doing twice as many parts per cycle.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks Geof. I was more concerned with the overhang off the front of the table, which by my math, is about 4 1/8" plus the spud for the vice handle.

I'm going to atleast start out with two D688's because some of the work I've been looking at is bigger flat bar parts (1"x8"x28" for example) that I'll need to hold over two vices, but I appreciate the advice and will look into it once this machine is on its feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    Thanks Geof. I was more concerned with the overhang off the front of the table, which by my math, is about 4 1/8" plus the spud for the vice handle......
    At the front the hex drive end comes up about one inch shy of the edge of the drip tray on the table.

You need to extend the vise handle unless you enjoy smashed knuckles.

I took off that drip table, got tired of not being able to use the long handles.

Kurt 688s fit fine you can get three on there easy.

Perfect, thanks a bunch guys. The machine should be leaving the factory in three days!

Quote Originally Posted by nervis1 View Post
    I took off that drip table, got tired of not being able to use the long handles.

Kurt 688s fit fine you can get three on there easy.
    I did the alternate and extended the shaft on the vise handle to reach out the door. This has the added advantage that the door cannot be closed with the handle still on the vise.