Hi All,

I recently (5 weeks ago) decided to try out the CNC world and ended up getting a sainsmart 3018 to see what its all like (im a hobbyiest)

I mostly live in linux and would prefer a linux based toolset (though its not a absolute requirement).

Coming from the 3d printer world, the thing that I have been fumbling around with is the model->gcode component (like just about everyone else). I've tried pycam, FreeCAD, blendercam, Fusion 360, HeeksCNC, and a few others. Fusion was almost certainly the best, but being windows only makes it not quite what im after. The other options seemed to be not that great for one reason or another.

Eventually I decided to write something that would turn 3d printer slicer outputs to CNC, and this worked amazingly well (efficient, fast, very clean lines in the X and Y). But it certainly has some limitions, the ones I've figured out:
1. Cant do clean arcs in the Z axis.
2. only really works properly with end mills.
3. end up with a bit of a layered look as it only really works in layers (being a 3d printer tool and all)

What other things should I be looking out for? Im very tempted to make this my permanent toolset for most jobs at the moment.