587,067 active members*
3,480 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Hobbymat MD65 CNC Conversion

Hi QPOWIER

Having looked at my lathe my main screw for the Y travel is 20mm, so that is easy to change to a 20mm Ballscrew, not sure the size of Stepper, maybe a 265oz 1.89Nm, would that be powerful enough for a Lathe, however I am struggling on my X, the tool mount only has an 8mm screw, so not sure what to do here, I guess I can look at mounting it to the outside instead of down the middle of the tool mount, but not sure what size of steeper to use for this.

As for the main chuck drive / motor could I change this to a Stepper or would it not have enough torque for this type of operation?

Cheers

Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Nosveratau View Post
    Hi QPOWIER

Having looked at my lathe my main screw for the Y travel is 20mm, so that is easy to change to a 20mm Ballscrew, not sure the size of Stepper, maybe a 265oz 1.89Nm, would that be powerful enough for a Lathe, however I am struggling on my X, the tool mount only has an 8mm screw, so not sure what to do here, I guess I can look at mounting it to the outside instead of down the middle of the tool mount, but not sure what size of steeper to use for this.

As for the main chuck drive / motor could I change this to a Stepper or would it not have enough torque for this type of operation?

Cheers

Nos
    Hi Nos,
    How many axes do you want to replace with stepper motors except the chuck motor?What do you use this lathe for? Process metal or woodworking?Last thing, the main chuck motor should not be changed for a stepper motor, 'cause stepper motor is used for positioning, and with low speed(less than 1000rpm at the rated torque) when working.