587,004 active members*
2,911 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Water damaged spindle

Water damaged spindle

Hello,

I have broken my GDK125 5.5kW water-cooled Spindle. A washer inside the motor perished which let coolant water out into the top of the motor. This "shorted?" one of the 3 phase wires and made the bad smells.

Question is; would it be possible to repair the water damaged motor?
    Secondly would it be worth it?

many thanks,

Chris

if smells like burn may be wire are buning but no sure how many... wiring damage i you know remove and check connectivity with multymeter... but sure check your machine warinty and garrenty read dates before....

Re: Water damaged spindle

You could clean the motor thoroughly using warm water then rinse thoroughly with distillate water and let it dry for a week. If you are lucky it will run again. Don't run it uncleaned and don't dry it uncleaned.

Run it without coolant just to see if it runs and repair the seal before you use it with coolant.

Thanks very much for the help.

Ive added some photos for you. I have taken your advice and cleaned it up a bit. The motor seals look pretty good to me. The 4 pin connector looks fried.

I'll dry it out and test with a multimeter again.

Chris

That 4 pin connector is fried. The cause is probably a lose/bad connection. If the currents starts to flow, the resistance will heat the pin up and it even could go sparking. You can't be sure on what side the bad connection was/is. So check the other connector also. I think it is best if you replace both connectors. Also use shrink tube on the soldered pins to prevent shorts if the soldering isn't 100 %.

Quote Originally Posted by hfjbuis View Post
    That 4 pin connector is fried. The cause is probably a lose/bad connection. If the currents starts to flow, the resistance will heat the pin up and it even could go sparking. You can't be sure on what side the bad connection was/is. So check the other connector also. I think it is best if you replace both connectors. Also use shrink tube on the soldered pins to prevent shorts if the soldering isn't 100 %.
    The connecter is bad because it got wet and the voltage arced over to ground. In addition the motor also got wet. Once a arc has flashed to ground and created a carbon path it will do it again. Scrape off the carbon track, clean with solvent and wipe dry. If the windings are toasted just buy a new spindle motor. You can dry the motor by putting in a warm over, not over 200 degree F and bake for a few hours even overnight would be ok. We used a meg ohm meter to check the windings to ground to make sure it was dry. Apply power and stand back when run testing!!
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP