506,200 active members
1,442 visitors online
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?
Page 6 of 10 45678
Results 61 to 72 of 110
  1. #61
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    438

    Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

    The wiring will need improvement but I can't see how that explains the motor not functioning at all now.

    It went from running at maybe a couple thousand RPM yesterday to about 100 RPM today and it was running very hot from the beginning. This seems to match the description in the Huanyang thread. I must have had the frequency at 50 hz.

    Then I get the good bearings from this motor but mostly a loss.

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10300

    Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

    Quote Originally Posted by justCNCit View Post
    The wiring will need improvement but I can't see how that explains the motor not functioning at all now.

    It went from running at maybe a couple thousand RPM yesterday to about 100 RPM today and it was running very hot from the beginning. This seems to match the description in the Huanyang thread. I must have had the frequency at 50 hz.

    Then I get the good bearings from this motor but mostly a loss.
    It should never have been able to run at even 2000 RPM, probably around 9,000 RPM was your minimum, they have a minimum safe speed they can run at, if you go below that number then you will over heat and then you are done, so Programing and wiring is very important for these spindles survival

    There is no way to tell but the VFD Drive may have damage also
    Mactec54

  3. #63
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    438

    Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

    What recommendations on a new setup?

    What parts of this spindle are salvageable?

  4. #64
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    438

    Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

    What ohms should the windings read to know for sure?

    btw Mactec thanks for the suggestions on wire.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10300

    Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

    Quote Originally Posted by justCNCit View Post
    What ohms should the windings read to know for sure?

    btw Mactec thanks for the suggestions on wire.
    They can differ from different spindle manufactures

    What are your readings are they all or close to the same

    Pin1 to Pin 2=

    Pin2 to Pin 3=

    Pin3 to Pin 1=

    Spindle body to all 3 Pins=
    Mactec54

  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1636

    Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

    All the windings should read about the same, just make sure your fingers are not touching the bare prongs of the meter leads. Going from one lead each to ground on the spindle frame should be very high, in the megohms range or open. By running the spindle so slow you more than likely damaged the insulation by overheating. Smell the motor windings? Do they smell burnt if so look for the nearest garbage can. Mac knows his VFD settings. My guess it was all wrong from the first.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router

  7. #67
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    438

    Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

    If I replace the spindle only, and the drive is faulty, what would the risk be?

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10300

    Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

    Quote Originally Posted by justCNCit View Post
    If I replace the spindle only, and the drive is faulty, what would the risk be?
    Where any Faults displayed on the VFD screen

    Did you recheck the Spindle pins reading this is what you have to do first
    Mactec54

  9. #69
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Where any Faults displayed on the VFD screen

    Did you recheck the Spindle pins reading this is what you have to do first
    I had an over amp error a couple of times, I can get exact ohmmeter readings later but they were in the range of .5 -.8 last time

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10300

    Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

    Quote Originally Posted by justCNCit View Post
    I had an over amp error a couple of times, I can get exact ohmmeter readings later but they were in the range of .5 -.8 last time
    Yes those numbers don't make any sense they are normally around 1.3 to 1.7 all very close to the same
    Mactec54

  11. #71
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    438

    Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

    The numbers are 1.3-1.5

    At the moment the motor still runs but only reaches a couple hundred rpm if that in a minute or 2 and gets very hot then the VFD throws an over amp error message. The millwright at my work place thinks maybe a sensor in the VFD is not working correctly.

  12. #72
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    438

    Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

    What if I bought a new VFD and plugged it into this motor

Page 6 of 10 45678

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-19-2018, 05:12 PM
  2. Mini Mill X2 Spindle Head + VFD + Chinese Spindle= custom!
    By diyengineer in forum Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-26-2016, 10:04 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2016, 01:02 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-27-2013, 06:14 PM
  5. Burned!!!
    By Steve@Reliance in forum Community Club House
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-25-2006, 09:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •