I wouldn’t randomly add cabinets because cabinets do little t address conducted EMI, they might not impact radiated EMI as much as you would think.

Years ago, (decades? Yikes) I was trying to debug a custom lathe with an old Bandit come controller. We would loose position in the submicrons every cycle of the machine. After realizing that this happened a in conjunction with spindle usage we decided to look into the third party spindle controllers eventually we traced the problem to a relay in the packaged controller. The controller is as a bit of a distance away from the bandit card rack and the rest of the machine control os and the I/O was isolated. Some how the spike from that relay switching each cycle screwed up position maintenance in the Bandit. A snubbing diode (a few cents per drive) ended up solving the problem after the organization suffered for weeks.

Lesson to be learned here 1. Solve noise issues at the generator. 2. Finding the cause can sometimes be extremely difficult. 3. Hand coding G-Code is very valuable in CNC maintenance as we eventually where able to minimize the G-Code until the problem went away and then created a little routine to test our fix.

Quote Originally Posted by drxlcarfreak View Post
Good idea.... When I put mine in I didn't read about it anywhere and tried to mimic other cases that I had seen that apparently didn't have issues. I am actually beginning to wonder if my old nema23 steppers were not an issue and were powerful enough, but because of the added drives in the enclosure I was getting random EMI issues with lost steps...