586,106 active members*
3,104 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What Major incorperates CNC

Hello

I have a quick question.

Would anybody know what College Major would have CNC milling/lathing/operating/.ect

This may seem like a dumb question, but these days so many majors overlap and it is hard to pin point what you may be looking for.

I already checked every college major book I have as well as the internet.

Also this seemed like the most relevant section of the forums to post this in.

Thank you

Many thanks

This will help as I am Senior in High School trying to narrow down what I want to major in college as.

It might help to have a chat with a career counselor at your school, before you set your mind on a certain major.

I graduated with a degree in Industrial technology, with an emphasis in CAD/CAM systems management. The curriculum had a management core, and a technical core. We learned autocad, solidworks, and mastercam. The management core included operations management, industrial safety management, quality assurance (with statistical sampling and manipulation of data using excel), facility design, project management (with microsoft project), international quality standards (iso 9000). We had classes in product design, computers, computer networking, web design, robotics, PLC programming, materials, electronics, manufacturing processes. We got to do hands on manual and CNC machining. Most of the classes had big projects along with the regular homework so you would get your hands dirty and learn practical experience to go along with the book knowledge. If that sounds like what you are looking for then I would check for colleges with similar programs. I see you live in santa barbara, so you have a couple of quality schools nearby with industrial technology programs. Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo has a great industrial technology program, as Does Fresno State, which is where I went.

Be wary of any "technology" program. these are not BS or BA degree type programs even though they may be held at a university campus. there maybe some out there that are but definitely check into it. I had an intern once that got an Automotive Engineering Technology degree and claimed he was a degreed engineer. after review his curriculum this was clearly not the case.

if you want to be a machinist i would recommend pursuing this through a community college coop type setup. i am in fact taking cnc course right now at a community college even though i have a BS and an MS in mechanical engineering.

If you want something more challenging then be leary of technology programs and pursue a manufacturing engineering degree. this will have some cnc learning but nowhere near as much as a technology program.

good luck with your decision.

I agree to watch out for "technology" programs at unaccredited colleges or colleges that give a degree in 8 months. however, the program I am describing is a Bachelors degree program at quality universities. It takes 4-5 years to complete and is a quality program with a B.S. degree at the end. 90% of graduates have jobs lined up by the time they graduate, and the average starting salary is $45,000. now, the program does not concentrate on the machining aspects, they concentrate equally on the management/business side and the technical side. So if you are looking to concentrate on being a machinist only then it is not the major for you. The program is even under the business department at some universities.

Chico state has a great I.T. program as well.

Like I said, have a talk with a career counselor at your school, they'll point you in the direction you want to go.

Thank you everyone for the information, it is good to be aware of unaccredited programs that don't teach what they say they offer.

Also of course I'll be talking to my counselor, they might be able to assist me with finding a City College right for me (If I am financially unable to got straight to a university)

Right now I am trying to find a part time job/ internship that relates somewhere to the field at any engineering workplace but all the ones I've tried wont hire me because of age restrictions, but I will keep on trying.

many states require you to be 18 yrs old to be in a machine shop unless under a educational teacher.

If you want to be an engineer...and a good one...try to get your foot into the door of any shop and tell them your intentions. Even spending a few months in a decent shop can teach you more than many "tech" programs offered places.

Get your hands dirty, don't be a smart alec kid, and work hard. Ask questions and you will be on your way to making a few dollars, but more importantly the knowledge gained will be be both practical and relevant.

I spend alot of time fixing engineering that is unpractical and irrelevant.

Have you looked a at UCSB as I know they offer Mastercam classes as my old partner is the teacher there.
    Also its a little drive but I know were I teach at COC (Santa Clarita, Collage of the Canyons) they teach whatt you ask for. Also Simi Valley Adult school to.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .