586,123 active members*
3,237 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Laser Cutter/Engraver recommendation

Hello all,

My first post!
    :banana:

Anyway, I am looking for a recommendation for a laser cutter/engraver. I also have questions on materials for you guys with experience in that.

The materials I would like to cut/engrave are plastics.

I have heard that lasers and styrene don't mix, because when the laser hits the styrene, it acts more like an insulator and the heat doesn't dissipate, it just burns and balls up the plastic.

I was also thinking of ABS.

My requirement is that the sheets of plastic be as thin as practicable, and that in addition to cutting, consistent engraving is of utmost importance.

The sheets have to be thin enough to be bendable and glue-able. So that leaves out acrylic or plexiglass.

As far as a recommendation for a machine, I am thinking that the work area be at least 18"x12" plus or minus.

As far as cost, up to $5k, but less is better!

Can anyone help out?

Thanks
    Keith Walker

For Plastics you will need a CO2 laser to mark on that material, but for cutting it will most likely cost more than 5k to cut through it.

Thanks for the input, any thoughts on wattage? 50W?

How about thinnest material to mark on without slicing through? Maybe I will post up a survey on that one....

Quote Originally Posted by JWHISTON View Post
    For Plastics you will need a CO2 laser to mark on that material, but for cutting it will most likely cost more than 5k to cut through it.

If you are wanting to mark it would not need to be that high of power. more like a 10 or 20w to mark on plastic.

I am worried about stories of plastic burning and not etching cleanly.

Quote Originally Posted by JWHISTON View Post
    If you are wanting to mark it would not need to be that high of power. more like a 10 or 20w to mark on plastic.

A Co2 laser is specific to be able to mark Plastics and Glass. Frequency is the key on all laser applications. Make sure you get a laser with frequency control as it will open the door to be able to mark more material. Co2 lasers are not made to mark metals. they will put a mark on it, but not a very good one. Plastic it make s a good mark on it.

PETG is probably what you want. Its very bendable without showing stress marks and in fact you don't even need to mark the bends first.

I bought a unit for WKLaser and Jack Yin, and I'm very happy, especailly with the price. Its a C02 80w with a 24x36" cutting area and it still came in under your budget. But be advised this machine is big and heavy. He has some smaller stuff though so drop him a note. WKLaser here I think.

Jack's service has been very good considering the time zone differences etc.

My laser can cut to any depth, but there will be some trial and error while you play with power and cut speed to get the depth you want.

Thanks
    Mike
    www.classicplayfields.com

Keith,
    60W laser should be good enough and if you havesome worry on styrene , you can send some sample material to me here in US and we can do some testing, for our HX6090SE, we can keep the price under 4K, let me know what I can help, we have at least 20 HX6090SE here in US being sold this year so far. you can go to http://www.rabbitlaser.com to get more information and get my contact.
    Frank