586,521 active members*
3,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

R8 Quick-change recommendations

Once again I look to the Zone members for advice!

I am doing a serious upgrade to my knee mill. The VFD and new motor is part of it. I am going to keep this mill as a manual machine, and I really would like to set it up for hand-swapped QC tooling.

I know Royal makes one. I haven't done a lot of research on these systems, I'd rather hear from guys who have actually used them.

My goal is to have a master adapter for my R8 spindle, and start out with a few 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4" shank EM adapters, a drill chuck or two, a boring head, pretty much the basic tools and cutters I use frequently.

Any brand names you guys can toss out? Preferably ones I can "steal" on eBay?

Swede

The two Excello mills I have are Universal 300 Kwik change, I don't know how these compare with R8, but there is usually alot comes up on ebay at good prices. These are secured by 'C' spanner/nut system, they do not have a drawbar, which is probabally fastest.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Check with your Bridgeport parts supplier, some Bridgeports came with a Quick Change 30 taper spindle. You may be able to come up a set up for your machine.

Thanks guys. My mill is not a BP but rather a clone. The ideal answer would be a 30 taper with a pneumatic drawbar, or a Kwik-switch spindle, but I suspect I'll end up going for an R8 adaptor, which will produce a bit of overhang. I tend to not push this machine hard, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I use the Royal system for a while in a home built CNC. It is very well made, and very easy to use. I could do a tool change with one hand in 2 seconds. The only problem was when the program was long the spindle would get hot, had to wear a glove a few times.