586,042 active members*
3,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Joes 2006 Build in Brisbane Australia

Hi Guys,

I figured now would be a good time to start a log of my build of a Joes CNC Model 2006 R2 build.

I've done a lot of reading of other great logs so hopefully mine will end up being at least 1/2 as useful for someone. There's a ton of great information here and elsewhere on the net.

I've got a long way to go, and a few other projects at home which I have to complete before getting too far down the track with this, so this project will take a while. I know it will be all too easy to get totally absorbed by this project and forget ever thing else, which has already happened with just reading about it.

I thought I'd get the ball rolling with buying a few critical components I can't get in Australia while I'm over here in the USA for the next few weeks and taking them back with me.

I'll be ordering the 1/2-8 2 Start ACME lead screws from MSC, DumpsterCNC bits, lovejoy couplers from Enco, bearings from VXB, a Hitachi Router from Lowes, T-Track & clamps from Rockler, ShuttlePro from Amazon and some mills. Oh, and a new digital camera for the photos and videos that everyone love.

I'll also be ordering a HobbyCNC 3-Axis kit with 305oz and probably having that shipped directly as I'll exceed my luggage weight limits (50lb per bag, 2 bag limit)

I have a few major stumbling blocks to overcome, the first of which is to convert Joes excellent plans to metric in order to be able to use metric thickness MDF and HDPE. I've done enough research and grovelling to be comfortable that this will get done one way or another.

I was more than happy to pay Joe for a kit but unfortunately the shipping costs to Australia tipped it over the edge. I would much rather be spending the money on other components than helping keep DHL, UPS or FedEx in business.

I'll also be checking out Kents excellent Joes CNC in Visalia while I'm over here in a few weeks so I'm looking forward to that.

I'll have lots of questions and have no doubt you guys have all the answers. I can then return the favour to the next rookie that comes along.

Cheers,

Claudio

Great look forward to seeing it and you converting to metric will help others, and sure people here can help with any question which may arise for you.

and most af all take your time and have fun....

Joe

Hi Joe,

One question I do have which was asked before here;

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=54

but I don't believe it was answered.

Do you need 3 or 6 Dumpster clamps as it appears as though you are using them at both ends of the the ACME thread in this photo

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=64

Thanks,

Claudio

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioG View Post
    Hi Joe,

One question I do have which was asked before here;

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=54

but I don't believe it was answered.

Do you need 3 or 6 Dumpster clamps as it appears as though you are using them at both ends of the the ACME thread in this photo

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=64

Thanks,

Claudio

You will need 6, one on each end of all three axis......as shown in the second link.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

You might want to edit your original thread here as it states that 3 are required.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=37

Claudio

I'm just trying to decide what router bits I should get in the USA to cover me for cutting and carving MDF, HDPE and some aluminium.

Here's what I think is a good start, which I mostly stole from VCarve Pro

- 1/4" End Mill, 2 flute, up spiral
    - 1/8" End Mill, 2 flute, up spiral
    - 60 degree v-bit (diameter?)
    - 90 degree v-bit (diameter?)
    - ball nose (diameter?)
    - 20 degree Engrave bit (0.02" diameter tip)
    - Ogee 1/4" Radius, 1 1/4" diameter x 1/2" deep
    - Roundover 3/8" Radius 1" Diameter x 1/2" Deep
    - large bit for surfacing

I'm not too sure on what diameter bits to get for some. Any other suggestions? Are some not needed.

Most of what I will be doing is straight cutting, but I like VCarve Pro for the odd sign and would like to try and engrave some aluminium signs as well.

I assume I should be getting Carbide bits.

Can anyone suggest preferred USA based brands, part #s or suppliers.

Thanks

Claudio

Here is what I use.

1/4" End Mill, 2 flute, up spiral Whiteside from Routerbits.com ru2100

1/8" End Mill, 2 flute, up spiral Whiteside from Routerbits.com ru1600

5/32" End Mill, 2 flute, up spiral Whiteside from Routerbits.com ru1700

60 degree v-bit 9/16" diameter ( 3 flute) Amana from Toolstoday.com 45733 Rather Pricey

90 degree v-bit 1" diameter MLCSwoodworking.com #7729

These are the bits I use nearly all of the time. Ball ends are in my next order.

Jason

I'm just trying to decide what router bits I should get in the USA to cover me for cutting and carving MDF, HDPE and some aluminium.

Here's what I think is a good start, which I mostly stole from VCarve Pro

- 1/4" End Mill, 2 flute, up spiral
    - 1/8" End Mill, 2 flute, up spiral
    - 60 degree v-bit (diameter?)
    - 90 degree v-bit (diameter?)
    - ball nose (diameter?)
    - 20 degree Engrave bit (0.02" diameter tip)
    - Ogee 1/4" Radius, 1 1/4" diameter x 1/2" deep
    - Roundover 3/8" Radius 1" Diameter x 1/2" Deep
    - large bit for surfacing

I'm not too sure on what diameter bits to get for some. Any other suggestions? Are some not needed.

Most of what I will be doing is straight cutting, but I like VCarve Pro for the odd sign and would like to try and engrave some aluminium signs as well.

I assume I should be getting Carbide bits.

Can anyone suggest preferred USA based brands, part #s or suppliers.

Thanks

Claudio
    Hello Claudio

Most of my bits are 1/4" shank with a few 3/8" and 1/2"
    Here are some links to the sites where I've purchased most of my bits.
    When given the choice of shank length I normally purchase the longer shank.
    I've picked up a few router bit sets from Woodcraft when they have sales. If you subscribe to newsletters you'll benefit from catching the sales when they happen.
    As far as diameter goes, When using spiral upcut bits the majority of cutting will be done with 1/8" and 1/4". On the V-groove bit side I just pick up a selection of what ever I can find, however I find that I use the 1/2" the most.

Router Bit World
    http://routerbitworld.com/

2 Flute UpCut Spiral
    CMT
    http://routerbitworld.com/category_s/1304.htm
    Freud
    http://routerbitworld.com/category_s/256.htm

V-Groove
    http://routerbitworld.com/SearchResu...earch=v-groove

Ball (Round) Nose
    Freud
    http://routerbitworld.com/category_s/175.htm

WoodCraft
    http://www.woodcraft.com/

V-Groove 90 degree selection
    CMT
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=8250
    Whiteside
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=8053

V-Groove 60 degree selection
    CMT
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=8252
    Whiteside
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=8054

Woodworksers World
    http://www.woodworkersworld.net/v_groove_bits.shtml

Rockler
    http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView....etest=1&gord=1

Signmaking Set $39.99
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...7&cookietest=1

American Carbide
    http://www.american-carbide.com/Woodworking/RB.aspx

Hope this helps and have a great time!!

Bob

Nice link list of bits Bob , Thanks I am at the stage I would like some more bits. I bought the sign makers kit from Rockler they just don’t give you to many options. Nice bits though. I can definitely see the ATC in my future also.

Maybe you can make link to this list in the Joes Mods & Tips

Thanks again and no I haven’t forgot about Video will get one done soon I hope .

I am looking forward to meeting Claudio, Hopefully he can get some ideas from my setup .What to do and what not too.

Kent

Thanks Bob and Jason for the info on the bits. The signmaking set sounds like a good option along with the others.

Kent, I might be able to help with the video when I visit as I bought a new camera today in San Francisco. We're now in Sacramento for about 36hrs staying with my girlfriends (Jen) mother and then driving to L.A.

I'm hoping to drop into Rockler near Anaheim and buy the T-Track stuff and some router bits.

Last night I ordered the ACME and Lovejoys from MSC and the DumpsterCNC stuff so that should be here this coming week. Going to see if the local Lowes has the router otherwise I'll just order it off Amazon along with the ShuttlePro.

The jet lag has been knocking us about a bit so hopefully I'll get a good nights sleep tonight, ready for the big family day tomorrow.

Claudio

Hey Guys,

I went to Lowe's this morning to checkout the Hitachi M12VC router and noticed a Dewalt DW618 with similar specs but was a 50Hz/60Hz model which would be more suitable for Australian 50Hz power. I've got a stepdown transformer for the voltage conversion.

Does anyone have experience with this model? I've read the reviews at Amazon and they are a little mixed but most seem positive with a few major negatives thrown in so it's hard to make a decision.

The WD618 has variable speed 8,000 to 24,000RPM, soft start, spindle lock (spring loaded so 1 hand need to hold the lock), draws 12A instead of 11A on the Hitachi, 3 1/2" mounting collar (not sure what the M12VC is), 2 1/4 horse. As I said, very similar to the Hitachi.

Here's a link

http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-Dewalt-...2101079&sr=8-3

Thanks

Claudio

Well after spending 3 1/2 weeks in the USA, I've come back home with some hard or impossible to get items as well as some things which were cheaper than what they are here.

I went for a DeWalt DW618 router instead of the Hitachi because the DeWalt is rated at 50/60Hz and we use 50Hz power in Australia. I also bought a 2nd hand 1500w step down transformer in Australia before heading to the USA.

Some nice features of the DW618 are the removable power cord and spindle lock. Hopefully the quality doesn't let me down. This is a factory refurb model which I'm hoping has had a bit more time checking it out that the production units, but I could be wrong.

Here's a detailed spreadsheet with all the bits I bought and photos of the collection so far.

One item not shown is the digital camera I bought as well which is a Panasonic DMC-FX50. Very happy with the picture and video quality (check out Kents log for some I shot).

Lots of fun shopping around for this stuff.

Claudio
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USA Parts Collection with t-track and ACME lead screws.jpg   USA Parts Collection.JPG   DumpsterCNC Lead Nuts & Clamps.JPG   DeWalt DW618 Router.JPG  

Assorted Router Bits.JPG   Rockler Hold-downs.JPG   Kobalt Spray Gun.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nice purchases! Looks like you have quite the array of tooling as well. Where did you get the spray gun? Any reason why you bought so many (looks to be) 1/4" spirals? Also how much did that usb jog device cost you? I think david has one of those as well.

The spray gun is a Lowes Kobalt home brand model. Looks like fairly reasonable build quality.

When I went to Rockler in Anaheim, I bought 2 High Speed Steel 1/4" up spiral bits as they didn't have the carbide ones in stock. Then I went to Woodcraft in Sacramento and bought a Whiteside solid carbide one. And when I visited Kent, he mentioned he got some HSS ones for $2 from Harbor Freight, so I decided to buy 10 of them to play with. I also bought a diamond coated set of bits for playing around with engraving glass and porcelain while I was there.

The ShuttlePro was US$80 inc shipping to Sacramento off ebay.

Most of these details are in the spreadsheet I attached.

Cheers

Claudio

Hi Claudio,

Thanks for the tip on the Shuttle Pro, just bought one from ebay

You are getting a good lot of gear for that CNC....

Bob

Claudio,

You got that thing built yet?

Nice collection!
    What is the large bit below the Rockler sign making bits, straight down from the T-9 bottle?

Thanks,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ccsparky View Post
    Claudio,

You got that thing built yet?

Nice collection!
    What is the large bit below the Rockler sign making bits, straight down from the T-9 bottle?

Thanks,

Bob
    Almost finished Bob

That bit is a Whiteside 1" cutting diam. straight bit which I will be using to plane the sacrificial board so that it's level with the machine.

Claudio

Hi Claudio,

Sounds like you had a good trip. I'm definitely jealous of all those goodies you brought back.

On the off chance, did you look into posting any of that stuff back while you were over there? I have come unstuck trying to find lead screws for my machine here. Was considering getting someone over there to forward the screws from enco or mcmaster-carr to me here, but have no idea if it is possible to send a 2m tube back and what it would cost. The USPS website refers to a restriction of 3ft, but it's hard to tell if that applies to a mailing tube or just big boxes.

--Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Reflow View Post
    Hi Claudio,

Sounds like you had a good trip. I'm definitely jealous of all those goodies you brought back.

On the off chance, did you look into posting any of that stuff back while you were over there? I have come unstuck trying to find lead screws for my machine here. Was considering getting someone over there to forward the screws from enco or mcmaster-carr to me here, but have no idea if it is possible to send a 2m tube back and what it would cost. The USPS website refers to a restriction of 3ft, but it's hard to tell if that applies to a mailing tube or just big boxes.

--Scott
    Hi Scott,

I called and then emailed MSC about sending stuff to Australia and they were meant to get back to me with a quote but never did. They said they do send to Australia.

Try sending an email to [email protected] and request a quote for the following to be sent to you in Australia and see if they reply.

2 x 01205996 1/2-8 2 Start Precision Acme Threaded Bar (6ft)

These are the new 2 start ones that Joe and others are now using, which are more expensive that the originals but work a lot better. You'll also need the DumpsterCNC stuff but that's easy to ship here due to lack of weight.

I'm pretty sure you cannot send it USPS but if you can email someone at USPS as well, it might be worth a shot.

If you look at my spreadsheet, you'll see that total weight for the 2 ACME's including tube is 10 lbs (4.45kg) and size of the tube is 6ft 2 1/2" long by 3" diameter

Did you try getting in touch with the guy in Melbourne about the ACME's?

I bought a spare set of Lovejoys if you are interested. The ones at Jaycar will need the ACME to be machined to 1/4" at one end. If you have spare bearings left over then I might be interested in those.

If there's anything else that you need that isn't so large that they won't ship to Australia, let me know as I can probably arrange forwarding.

By the way, how's your project coming along?

Cheers

Claudio

Hi Scott,

I called and then emailed MSC about sending stuff to Australia and they were meant to get back to me with a quote but never did. They said they do send to Australia.

Try sending an email to [email protected] and request a quote for the following to be sent to you in Australia and see if they reply.

2 x 01205996 1/2-8 2 Start Precision Acme Threaded Bar (6ft)

These are the new 2 start ones that Joe and others are now using, which are more expensive that the originals but work a lot better. You'll also need the DumpsterCNC stuff but that's easy to ship here due to lack of weight.

I'm pretty sure you cannot send it USPS but if you can email someone at USPS as well, it might be worth a shot.

If you look at my spreadsheet, you'll see that total weight for the 2 ACME's including tube is 10 lbs (4.45kg) and size of the tube is 6ft 2 1/2" long by 3" diameter

Did you try getting in touch with the guy in Melbourne about the ACME's?

I bought a spare set of Lovejoys if you are interested. The ones at Jaycar will need the ACME to be machined to 1/4" at one end. If you have spare bearings left over then I might be interested in those.

If there's anything else that you need that isn't so large that they won't ship to Australia, let me know as I can probably arrange forwarding.

By the way, how's your project coming along?

Cheers

Claudio
    Hi Claudio,

Thanks for the contact at MSC, I fired off an email last night so I'll wait and see if I get a reply.

Postage for such a long tube seems like a real drag, I haven't spoken to anyone at USPS but from the website the chances don't look good. It seems to be ok on both the FedEx and UPS shipping calculators though. The cost on the other hand is a bit annoying us$160 for 75" 10lbs mailing tube. Neither seem to have a budget shipping option so that is overnight express pretty much. Interestingly I have been toying with there calculator and you can send anything upto 9ft long, shipping price is purely a weight thing. Need to find someone else who is interested in buying some you get a better deal shipping 20lbs than 10. $102 ACME, $115 postage anyone?

As for getting ACME in oz, I didn't give the guy in Melbourne a call. The prices from the other post looked good, but none of the thread options match what is available from dumpster. The same goes for other sources, Hobson who make a lot of fasteners actually make a 12ft length of 6TPI acme in a lot of sizes from 1/2" up. It's cheap for oz, $150 a length. But I'm guessing whatever nut arangement I use it will never be as good as getting the dumpster nuts.

Thanks for the offer on the couplers, I'll see how I go. If I make a dumpster order I was going to try his couplers with the acme thread cut into them. Although they probably won't be as forgiving about miss-alignement as the lovejoys. I really want to avoid any end machining. I actually got a quote for ballscrews since the ACME option is looking expensive anyway. The screws and proper end mounts where ok, but it was 3 lots of machining that pushed the price over the top.

I'll have to check how many I have left. I sorta went nuts when I had 100 of them and started using them for other things. We built some mates a camera dolly using 4 of the same angle and bearing setups as the machine uses. It runs along 1" PVC pipe tracks, with internals joiners so there is no bumps at the joins. Runs pretty smooth.

Thanks for the forwarding offer. I might be pushing my luck but the tube with the ACME would probably be handy if I go down that path. I'd arrange for UPS or FedEx to do a pickup. So would only need to be be there to receive it, put my address on it, and send it out the door. But I would well understand if thats too much of a pain in the arse.

I'll post some more progress in the other thread. If I get time this weekend I'll post some of my modified drawings for metric MDF as well.

--Scott

Page 1 of 2 12