586,052 active members*
4,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Looking for feedback on a build idea
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Looking for feedback on a build idea

Well, you may be going in the right direction but what is the point?...….are you reinventing the wheel just because or is this a ground breaking Earth shattering break through that most of us package buyers.....myself included......indulge in during a spare moment because we think that the state of the art R&D has already been done and the mega bucks of development is well in hand which means we don't have to sit down with a pencil and paper and try to come up with a new innovative way to move metal chips at a different rate...….most of us have a pet theory of the ideal machine but lack the wherewithall to put it into being.

I would applaud your efforts with both hands clapping wildly, but until I see a single component made that looks like it might be something from a CNC mill thingo……..I won't be holding my breath.

If it isn't a closely guarded secret...... design or concept wise..... perhaps we might see a loose concept plan of the actual design characteristics and a breakdown of what sets it apart from the common scruff.

BTW, cobbling together high spec components does not constitute a high end concept, anyone with a big enough bank roll can do that.

But, best of luck with your dream...…..nothing ventured nothing gained etc, and the stars are getting closer the more Man gets to think that way..
    Ian.

Re: Looking for feedback on a build idea

That Kickstarter page shows what looks like a pretty nice enclosure, but it's hard to tell much about what's inside. If the person who put it up is on this thread: do you have a picture of the frame you could share, and the specifications for the steel parts that (presumably) need to get welded together before being filled with epoxy-granite? More details on the components would be helpful, such as: what sort of linear rails are you talking about? What are you using for a spindle and spindle motor? Will it have an ATC? A touchplate for zeroing? A 4th axis? How much will it weigh? What do you mean by "active damping"? The accuracy specs seem optimistic for a machine you haven't built yet - or have you? Is the idea to just sell a set of plans, or are you putting out a kit with parts? Or do you plan on actually building these machines, selling and supporting them? There probably would be some demand in New Zealand for a small locally-made mill like that, if it really worked well, was priced modestly, and came with good support.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Page 2 of 2 12