584,327 active members*
6,505 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Steam and Stirling Engines > Need an idea of the cost to get this little engine cnc

Need an idea of the cost to get this little engine cnc

I recently got into the live steam hobby with a wilesco kit but now I would like something more unique so I came across some plans for a v twin steam engine here is the pdf link What do you guys think I would expect to pay to send the plan to someone for me to do the machining, I can provide full cad file for it and materials

Re: Need an idea of the cost to get this little engine cnc

I think you would be into that for several thousand dollars to have it machined. Given it's series of one off parts so the setup time to CNC the parts might be more than just doing it completely manual. I could see a couple hundred hours or more to build that. I would guess the cost of materials would be in the few hundred range.

Just to put this in perspective, I did a project of similar complexity, 4 months and $20K later I shipped it, and no, I didn't work on it full time.

I don't know what you have for machinery now, but if I were you I would put my money into machines and tooling and build it as you have time. Maybe it's time to learn some new skills if you don't already have them. Not to mention that when it's sitting on the shelf you can say ''Yeah, I built that''
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: Need an idea of the cost to get this little engine cnc

What do you guys think I would expect to pay to send the plan to someone for me to do the machining,
    I do not understand this. Why would you send the plans to someone else if you want to do the machining?

But as Jim suggests: that would be a 3 - 6 month weekend project for someone with a running CNC, Cost for someone else's time would be according.

Cheers
    Roger