I'm glad I stuck with this conversation as I'm gathering that it is really important exactly how I'm varying the speed of the spindle to avoid damaging the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
You are able to change the speeds in any mode be cause you are not using any of the drive defaults
I did a factory reset (though you said that was not advisable). So all my settings, except for the ones listed in a previous post are the drive defaults.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
With using the KeyPad only

Jumper J1 would be in 2-4 position I think this is the part you have not been changing to do a normal Keypad up down arrow use

PD001=0
PD002=0
PD001 and PD002 are both set to 0. As this discussion has gone on, I've only been using keypad mode (digital operator mode). Jumper J1 has only three pins. The manual states this:

"Please short circuit the 2-3 foot of J1 terminal when using the board potentiometer." PD002 = 1, PD070 = 1.
"Please short circuit the 1-2 foot of J1 terminal when using the external connection potentiometer or external power supply." PD002 = 1, PD070 = 1.

Jump J1 is currently shorting 2-3 because I have not used an external source, only the VFD's potentiometer. But for this discussion, I have switched to using only keypad mode. Even so, as stated in the manual, the "operating frequency" will be set using the potentiometer in the range set with PD070. In my case the manual says to set PD070 = 1 which is 0-5V, because that is the analog input of the potentiometer on the VFD itself.

I am currently unable to change the speed of the spindle without changing the "operating frequency" either with the keypad or the potentiometer on the front of the VFD. You are saying this is bad for the spindle and will damage it? If the "operating frequency" is supposed to be locked at 400 Hz, how does the VFD change the speed? Adjusting current or voltage? Even if this is the case, I have not found out how to do it this way.