586,089 active members*
3,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Taig enclosure finished! (Update need help!)

Taig enclosure finished! (Update need help!)

I have just finished the "Getto" enclosure for my new Taig mill. I was on a tight budget and got it built for $160. I have not used it yet or tuned the motors. I Have the computer I am going to use and am in the process of installing all the software. I did run it manually and it seems fine. It may be a few weeks before I get back to finishing it. Will post update when I do.

I installed the computer tonight and tuned the motors all went well.
    I ran g-code for the roadrunner just to see what it would do and everything went well except the X axis was flipped left to right compared to what was on the screen.

Also, and this may be a dumb question but where should home be? Should it always be in the same spot for every project? It seems like most of the work is setting up. Is there any videos that show how to get started from clamping down your work piece to the finished part? I have watched all the tutorials but they leave out the very basics and assume you know a bit about setting up already. I have a small manual lathe but this is my first encounter with milling.

Astroguy,
    Looks good!! You built it very inexpensively (but, not cheaply!! which is good). Are you planning to use a cooling system, if so, flood or mister? And what type of work or "stuff" are going to make. Do post so pic's when you start making chips.

Well keep up the good work.

Ron

Nice! I'm going to need to make an enclosure for myself also. Will be getting the sherline 5400 cnc system, planning make an acrylic box with a vacuum cleaner opening to suck any carbon fibre/g10 dust when milling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron111 View Post
    Astroguy,
    Looks good!! You built it very inexpensively (but, not cheaply!! which is good). Are you planning to use a cooling system, if so, flood or mister? And what type of work or "stuff" are going to make. Do post so pic's when you start making chips.

Well keep up the good work.

Ron
    I am not sure about a cooling system yet. I will be milling mostly aluminum and plastic. For now I am just going to use a thin jet of air from my compressor to blow away chips and may provide a little cooling. From there I will most likely build a misting system.

I ran g-code for the roadrunner just to see what it would do and everything went well except the X axis was flipped left to right compared to what was on the screen.

Also, and this may be a dumb question but where should home be? Should it always be in the same spot for every project? It seems like most of the work is setting up. Is there any videos that show how to get started from clamping down your work piece to the finished part? I have watched all the tutorials but they leave out the very basics and assume you know a bit about setting up already. I have a small manual lathe but this is my first encounter with milling.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroguy View Post
    In Mach3,
    Config>Ports and Pins>Motor Outputs and click on the Dir LowActive, or in Config>Homing/Limits The reversed column is what you want to modify...

Either should work.
    Nick Carter
    Largest resource on the web about Taig lathes and mills
    www.cartertools.com

Quote Originally Posted by cartertool View Post
    In Mach3,
    Config>Ports and Pins>Motor Outputs and click on the Dir LowActive, or in Config>Homing/Limits The reversed column is what you want to modify...

Either should work.
    Thanks for the reply. I got it fixed.