586,070 active members*
3,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > Unspecified failure message

Unspecified failure message

Below is a quote from Involute

"On an unrelated note, when I try to set the spindle speed with M03 S1500, I get an error in Mach3: Error on line 2 - Unspecified failure, and it presents a VB debug screen. I'm pretty sure I have the machine set properly (CNC mode switch is down and the Start button on the keypad has been pressed to remove the Stop annunciator). What might be causing this?"

I have the same problem. Has anyone any clues?

Regards

Chrisjh

Same here and no clue either. But if I ignore it, all works except for the fact that the spindle does not start by itself.
    Cheers
    Rainer

Turns out that by closing and re-starting Mach3 the error goes away, for me anyway.

Involute.

Hi All,

This drove me nuts until I discovered the only way to make it go away was same as Involute's fix. That is, close Mach3, then reboot the computer. Whilst this in not very satisfactory, it appears to be a workaround.

The other symptom that I notice while the computer was in this "mode" was that M3 Sxxxx commands from the MDI also resulted in the same error message and the the spindle motor would not start.

Thanks for the feedback. It is good to know that others are experiencing the same problem.

Kind Regards

Chrisjh

Could it be the version of Mach that Syil supply with their machine?

It's funny that it doesn't apply to other or so it looks from the Mach support forum.

What about making backup copies of the program, license and XML files and then downloading the latest version and transferring the license.dat file and XML ?

No support from Syil as yet ?

PR.

I spoke to Syil about it before I solved it and they said it was a Mach problem, which I believe to be the case. I don't fault Syil at all. And, I'm using a version I downloaded from Artsoft when I got my machine, not the copy that came with it from Syil.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not having the problem anymore, so I'm happy.

Involute

I have been running Mach 3 now since it first came out and not had this problem, in fact it doesn't appear to show on support except for the Syil based machines.
    Just what is on line 2 to show this up?

I'm also puzzled at the reference in the first post to "CNC mode switch is down and the Start button on the keypad has been pressed to remove the Stop annunciator). "

As none of my machines has anyting like this could this be a problem ?

PR.

>Just what is on line 2 to show this up?

I don't understand this question.

>I'm also puzzled at the reference in the first post to "CNC mode switch is
    >down and the Start button on the keypad has been pressed to remove the
    >Stop annunciator). "

SX3s have a toggle switch on the front of the head that must be flipped down to put the spindle in "CNC mode," allowing it to be controlled (on/off, and speed) by G code. You also have to hit a Start switch to turn off a Stop annunciator in an LCD (also on the front of the head) to allow G code control; many people neglect to do this and then wonder why their spindles don't respond to G code commands. I was pointing out that this WASN'T the problem.

Involute

I removed the spindle speed form my cam post processor (I run continuous anyways) and all is well.
    Lemo

I get an error in Mach3: Error on line 2 - Unspecified failure, and it presents a VB debug screen.
    That is telling you line 2 of the code has an error so what is on line 2 ?

PR

solve it?if not,please email to [email protected]
    i think he will help you asap.

Syil china.
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

Chis..

I think your problem lies in the M code.. M03... Should be just M3.

You should be able to adjust this in your postprocessor depending on what you are using....

Try manually changing from M03 to M3 and see if you get the error...

It is definietely not a Syil error.... Purely Mach3.

cheers

Frans

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjh View Post
    Below is a quote from Involute

"On an unrelated note, when I try to set the spindle speed with M03 S1500, I get an error in Mach3: Error on line 2 - Unspecified failure, and it presents a VB debug screen. I'm pretty sure I have the machine set properly (CNC mode switch is down and the Start button on the keypad has been pressed to remove the Stop annunciator). What might be causing this?"

I have the same problem. Has anyone any clues?

Regards

Chrisjh

Quote Originally Posted by Syil_Australia View Post
    Chis..

I think your problem lies in the M code.. M03... Should be just M3.

You should be able to adjust this in your postprocessor depending on what you are using....

Try manually changing from M03 to M3 and see if you get the error...

It is definietely not a Syil error.... Purely Mach3.

cheers

Frans

Unless you are running a special version of Mach M03 or M3 is not a Mach error.
    I have 5 machines on Mach 3 and all accept M03 with no problem.
    Look in help about and see what the version number is.

The code mach3 puts out is very generic and other that altering safe hight I can use a code from a Mach3 machine on the big Fanuc and the same in reverse.

PR

Could be an error in the code in the M3.m1s macro
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi all,

My original workaround for this error message is not consistent. I still get the error sometimes. I can't seem to get a consistent set of circumstances that replicates the error. For example I used the machine for about 6 hours yesterday with no sign of the problem all day despite interrupted sessions requiring shutdown to attend various domestic chores.

Then today when I started the "unspecified failure" error reared it's ugly head again. I ended up turning off Mach3 and rebooting the control computer about 3 times with no luck. I then tried to issue M3 Sxxxx followed by M5 commands from the MDI screen with the mill turned off then turned on. Somewhere during this frustrating process it miraculously came good so I was able to continue milling.

Issuing M3 or M03 does not have any affect. Mach3 seems to be very tolerant to leading zeros in G code.

Perhaps it is related to the I/O board where the parallel port cable is connected to the machine.

With more use ( I am new to this) I have also noted that the I/O board seems to hold logic states for a while (say 3 - 5 minutes) when the machine is turned off. One of the symptoms is that the E Stop remains active for 3 - 5 minutes immediately after I switch off the mill. This smacks of a lack of pulldown resistors on the I/O board parallel port. If I disconnect the control cable the E Stop signal disappears, thus proving that the rogue logic signal is definitely coming from the mill.

It would be great to get to the bottom of this problem. I have been able to solve many teething problems by using this and the Mach3 forums.

I am in the process of machining 50 lids for a Mixer module for a Radar used in the mining industry manufactured here in Brisbane Australia. I am at Op 6 of 8 operations and the machine is working great. I took some videos tonight and will post some vision when I can work out how to compress video.

Regards

Chrisjh