586,103 active members*
3,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MasterCam v9.1 to Prototrak m3 problems

Hello everyone,
    I have just started using Mastercam v 9.1 to program my Prototrak Sport B3 mill with the m3 control. I have been able to program and cut profiles and pockets file with the MPROTMX3 post that is in mastercam. The MPROTMX2 did not work for anything. The problem I am having is that when I try to cut 2d swept toolpaths or any surface toolpaths I am getting errors or the machine just locks up. I have tried contacting MasterCam but the contract ran out awhile ago before I started working here, so they were not help. Also, I do not know a lot about posts, only that they should work. Can anybody help point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Hi Toolman, I use mastercam & prototracks at work. We have some computers set up with MC8, some with MC9. We also have some MX2 & AGE 3 prototracks. I'm not sure what the M3 control is. MX2 is nice for contours, pockets, & drilled hole patterns where you control the Z-Axis. (quill or knee)we have two 3 axis mills. One is what they call
    2 1/2 axis machining. It will drill holes, or step down your depth of cut, but will not cut an X-Z or Y-Z direction. therefore it won't cut surfaces. I'm not sure what a swept 2d toolpath is, but if it is a surface toolpath that may be the problem. Our other prototrak is a true 3D mill & we can cut complex surface or solids shapes, so it may depend on what your version of prototrack M3 has. Another problem may be the post. Are you sure it is the correct post to use, & are you sure it isn't corrupted?
    WoodChuck

If you can't do 3 Axis linear interpolation then you can't keller surfaces.

MX2

Wood chuck 59,
    I'm so glad to have run across your comments in this forum. I have a knee mill with Proto-Trak M2 that works great, but I can't input anything new. When I brought it to my shop I could run jobs that were all ready on the floppy but when I tried to save jobs to the same disc, nothing would happen. Actually it was a backup disc but now I've tried so many different extensions on so many files that I can't even load any of the old files anymore. All of the old files are attached to different programs and none ot them will work with the MX2 program. I did try PartMaster and it has the capability to postprocess from DXF to MX2, but it is so expensive, $1000, that it's out of my league. What file extensions can be used with the MX2 program and what programs do you use at your shop?
    Thank you for any help thrown my way,
    Jim

Thanks

I've been trying to transfer dxf files to mx2 without any luck so I asked for a little help. Well I'm happy to say without any help I figured it out and it was a piece of cake. So thanks but no thanks.

I have installed MASTERCAM X3, BUT DO NOT HAVE THE POST PROCESSOR MPROTMX2 WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD.