586,452 active members*
3,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Community thoughts on a possible PSU solution

Hello all.
    I am new to the CNC community. I recently purchased the Chinese 80W laser and (of course) the power supply unit (PSU) faulted. Its dead now and I contacted the manufacturer and they have shipped me a new PSU. I know that I am not the first person to have PSU problems with the Chinese CO2 laser PSU's. My question to the community is:

Has anyone been able to find a reasonable solution to the faulty PSU's?
    Has anyone thought about an placing an inline fuse that is inline from the PSU to the laser tube?

I am not an electrician, nor do I fully comprehend what is required in order to install a high voltage fuse. My thought process is to find a way to protect the PSU from return overcharge (if that makes any sense)

Thank you to any who answer my questions and or are able to provide some guidance.

Re: Community thoughts on a possible PSU solution

Would HIGHLY recommend NOT even thinking about installing a fuse in the high voltage lead. Trying to insulate the fuse would become a major problem and if not done properly would allow the high voltage ( typ 25kv) to arc to the metal cabinet. That alone can take out a psu if not shut down fast.
    Also the fuse would be of no use as a blown fuse would become a small physical gap ( 1/8 in or so ) and the voltage would simply arc across that gap anyway.
    Be VERY careful around that high voltage lead when the laser is running, getting in its way can make for a very bad day and possibly your last!
    Today's psu's are well built and reliable but are worked rather hard. So yes we all must replace one now and then.

Rick