586,103 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam X update
Page 1 of 2 12

Mastercam X update

I've been asked a couple times about this, so here goes.. This is from one of the developers at CNC Software concerning the release of version X.

Ken Erman from CNC Software, Inc.

Member # 1650

posted 04-14-2004 05:12 AM I'm not sure if i want to step in here or just lurk... I was kind of hoping James would hijack this thread.

The Alpha release to our dealers happened as planned. The purpose of that release was to get as much feedback as possible in time so we could do something about it. We got so much good feedback that we decided to rework some things we had not planned on. Currently we are winding down those changes and working in some new stuff we are inventing for X. Hopefully we will be making a Beta announcement in the next couple of weeks.

The GUI on X is completely new and will require a little time to get used to. The good thing is that it is so customizable for each users preferences you will easily be able to make it just like you want.

As for a option to have an interface EXACTLY like version 9, that won't happen. We considered it and realized that maintaining 2 interfaces would be an extremely difficult proposition. We are maintaining some key things that will help users learn the new interface quicker, but it won't be identical to V-9.

Many mentioned the CADKEY transition, believe me we have considered that in every decision. I and several others here were at CADKEY during that time and know what happened first hand. But that was almost 9 years ago, many users are now used to a Windows style GUI so things won't be as traumatic as they were then.

Will there be a learning curve? - You damn betcha

Will you keep a copy of V-9 on your system to work with while you transition to X? - You'd be crazy not to.

Once you get used to the new product will you like it? - We are staking our future on it.

As for when will it be released, we want to get it right the first time. There is no benefit to anyone if we ship before it is ready. I am very confident it will be shown at IMTS, if it isn't released by then it will be rock solid. But i have been wrong before

--------------------
    Ken Erman - aka PMGuy
    'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So Reked have you talked with charlies about maybe doing Beta testing?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Yeah, Jay. CNC Software also.

So far it looks good. I've got a couple emails from CNC concerning it.

'Rekd teh :banana:
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

hey Matt,
    o/t , is that you on the avatar contravening the clean air laws.. j/k

camdude, aka phil from prism engineering, inc.

Yea, it's me, on a '94 GSXR 750. I think that was out at So Cal Raceway or Arizona. I used to drag race that beast with the NMRA.

I ride a 97 TL1000 V-Twin now, and gave the 750 bike to my wife. (She's screaming for a new one now, that thing's 10 years old. )

'Rekd teh You want an R1? My ASS!!
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

matt,
    what do you think od the new V-Rod from Harley, my bud just got a used one for 17K.
    i thought it was pricey, but what do i know.

It's definately a pretty, better-performing ride than any of the others I've seen. (I haven't ridden one yet)

Personally, I wouldn't own a HD if I had to pay for it. They're over-priced, under-engineered, ill-handling machines compared to what I ride. (Flame-suit: ON). The first bike I ever owned was HD back in high school. It was prolly my last. I've ridden some really REALLY nice ones, but just can't see spending that kind of money based on status/marketing instead of performance/reliability. (I also beat every one I raced on my lil ol 750 at the drags. )

I've seen them actually finish some races, (road races), which is a definate step in the right direction, but it's still my opinion that they would make better motorcycles if they had more engineers and fewer lawyers.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

I've seen them actually finish some races, LOL
    iam thinking of a BMW myself, just love that opposing cylinder thing.
    also got to ride one last year and it's smooth as glass.
    having kids ( two girls ) puts a crimp on the ole' discretionary income so i'll probably be to old to ride
    when i get it.

Mmm, beemers.

I haven't ridden one, but I've heard that because of the lack of centrifical force caused by the opposing cylindars, the bikes drop into corners and you don't have to wrestle them to keep them there. I've spent many many hours in canyons and mountains, and keeping a bike in a corner at full throttle is a serious work-out.

My 1-1/2 year old is almost ready to ride. Should have seen him last nite when he got home with mom; I had the 2 street bikes, and 2 quads out in the driveway. He got out of the truck, saw them and his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree, and he points at my TL and goes: "Vroom Vroom". (those were literally his first words, when he was like 7 months )

'Rekd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drink-drive.jpg  
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Matt,
    great picture, it explains all the sippy cup references in the mastercam forum. cute little tyke.
    where was the picture taken looks like the middle of nowhere. love the fact that his first words
    were VRoom,vroom.

your TL's a Suzuki, thought it was a one of the new japanese bikes, the Fastazz Sumbichi's.

That's at Gordon's Well, near Glammis. You can see a red strap holding the motor down. (Broke the mounts that trip, but still got to ride the rest of the weekend). my son got his very first "owie" on that trip; while riding with mom on one of the quads, he burned his toe on the motor. (I'm still smackin' mom around for letting him ride without shoes on! )

LoL, Fastazz Sumbichi. Good one. My TL will do 90mph wheelies in second gear with no clutch work.

'Rekd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sport-smiley-12.gif  
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Originally posted by Camdude
    Matt,
    great picture, it explains all the sippy cup references in the mastercam forum.
    Here we go again with the sippy cup

PEACE

Never noticed the avatar. Cool. I rode an 03 GSXR 1k untill a UPS truck tried to share my personal space. I'm trying to convince my wife that we need an 04 R1 right now. It's not working. Any advice?

Yeah, have her talk to my wife.. that's what she wants. I'm trying to talk her out of it!

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Originally posted by nervis1
    I rode an 03 GSXR 1k untill a UPS truck tried to share my personal space.
    Dammit!

I've been the only vehicle involved every time I've rekd.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

matt,
    not wanting to sound too ghoulish but what was your worst crash. was it on the track or on the road?

Definately on the road. With my wife on the back. Coming back from sand castle competition in IB, both of us wearing shorts. The back shock siezed up as I was going into a corner at about 40 or so. Bike washed out, we slid down the blacktop. My wife was sliding on her side for a while, and decided she was tired of sliding and that it was getting to warm to slide any more, so she put her hand down so she could try to get on her feet... As you can imagine, that only flipped her over, scraping the other half of her body. (I just stayed on my side sliding with my arms and head up, so I only toased one side of me.)

This was when we were still just friends. It was during our healing time that we decided we wanted to be with each other. That was about 12 years ago. So tossing her on the ground wearing shorts at 40mph was prolly the best/worst thing I've ever done in my life.

Oh, imagine the 2 biggest kids in the world running around Disneyland with head-to-toe bandages, doped up on vic's and drinking... I'm sure there's a lot of people that will never return due to the "safeness" of the rides, and the fact that these to people once got mugged by Mickey and Donald!

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

i am smiling from ear to ear, , i wish i could see you guys at Disneyland or see the reactions from the people around you. glad to hear it was just a case of mondo road rash and nothing more. tough way to find a wife, though.

p.s. aren't vic's the best for pain management.

When mixed with Rum & Cokes, they're un-beatable!

It was awsome, dude... I even found a pie tin and was asking for donations.. (My sister was down from Washington with us, and this sent her over the edge.. she ditched us right afterwards.. LOL )

As for finding her that way, that just sinched the deal. I've been after her since she was in Jr High school, (about 8 years before the accident!), and we had a 'just for fun' kind of physical relationship. I guess she like my sponge baths..

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Page 1 of 2 12