586,852 active members*
2,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > About 20 Months Later - Would I Buy Another One? - PCNC1100

Hybrid View

Re: About 20 Months Later - Would I Buy Another One? - PCNC1100

... you seem to know your kitchen well; good luck
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

If you want to get one according to the Tormach website there is only 1 left.
    That could be the last one made & going forward it might only be the M series???
    I can hardly believe I've had mine for 6 years.
    The question now is would you buy an M series?
    I'm not in the market but I would want linear rails, servos, BT30, an 8K to 10K spindle and at least 3HP.
    The MX gets close but for the money I would be looking at the whole field of offerings.
    There are more now than there were 6 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    I'm not in the market but I would want linear rails, servos, BT30, an 8K to 10K spindle and at least 3HP.
    I just bought that exact spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Duval View Post
    I just bought that exact spec.
    Please post a thread somewhere on what your doing and using. I like to see what others are up to.
    Industrial user, Cottage industry user, Job shop, Casual maker and home shoppers all have interesting experience that I learn from. I must say a couple home shop people I follow closely are by far the most experienced and talented engineers, machinist and builders that share their work on the net. 1/4 scale 12 cylinder Merlin engine complete with blower is just one example that comes to mind.

Anyway I like your picture. I did the mx thing for a few years long ago and still an avid fan. Didn't last long because I didn't understand how to ride at 80%. Always went 110+% and the results were broken machines and inconsistent finish. A lesson I learned much later in life playing golf of all things.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    A lesson I learned much later in life playing golf of all things.
    That's were I learned I was better with metal than wood.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

I'm 2 months away from being 5 years into an 1100 s3. Prior to 2017, all my machining experience was on a 1974 Burke MVN (think 3/4 scale Bridgeport with 1/2 the features), so zero programming, although I was well versed in AutoCAD. I mostly prototype aluminum parts (so lots of 1-off's), but I do some production runs. My employer bought the machine as it was the best compromise between cost, work envelope, and a handful of other criteria.
    I can honestly say I have only had one issue, which resolved itself with a disconnect/reconnect of the ATC power supply daughter board. Tormach tech support was very helpful and responded / got me going the same day.
    I have an ATC, ETS, & 8" 4th axis. All have performed with no issue. I guess I did a good job aligning my ATC right out of the box.
    My main b*tch with the machine, which I wish I would have known ahead of time, is the limitation of the R8 based TTS. I've managed to shear (and repair!) the key in the spindle getting greedy with the fly cutter, and roached several R8 collets learning the torque limits it can handle. The first great lesson inside week #1 with tool pullout was learned when a 1/4" lakeshore carbide corncob walked itself nearly 3/4" into the table. OOPS. I don't really mill with anything larger than 3/8" now and no longer run into any problems.
    Bottom line of my "review" is limit your expectations and don't blame the machine for your own f*ckups. For made in China, I make parts all day long that are +/- 0.001. In aluminum, just change the temperature and measure again if it's not in that window .
    I'd certainly be a buyer if a 2hp, servos & BT30 spindle upgrade became available for this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 74BurkeMVN View Post
    I'm 2 months away from being 5 years into an 1100 s3. Prior to 2017, all my machining experience was on a 1974 Burke MVN (think 3/4 scale Bridgeport with 1/2 the features), so zero programming, although I was well versed in AutoCAD. I mostly prototype aluminum parts (so lots of 1-off's), but I do some production runs.
    I specialize in 1 off custom work and often program and run upto 4 CNC mills simultaneously doing different jobs with a 5th prepping blanks. I've been doing it for a day or two. At the moment I just have three machines running parts.

My employer bought the machine as it was the best compromise between cost, work envelope, and a handful of other criteria.
    I can honestly say I have only had one issue, which resolved itself with a disconnect/reconnect of the ATC power supply daughter board. Tormach tech support was very helpful and responded / got me going the same day.
    I have an ATC, ETS, & 8" 4th axis. All have performed with no issue. I guess I did a good job aligning my ATC right out of the box.
    Well I am so happy for you that yours wasn't bent (turned out to be the problem according to the guy who bought it) and that you are so perfect. I am happy for you. I don't know how mine worked as well as it did for the first couple months. But I'm not the only one who has had issue with Tormach tool changers. I guess we all need to worship at your perfectfullness's feet and hope to some day be able to follow pretty damned simple instruction.

My main b*tch with the machine, which I wish I would have known ahead of time, is the limitation of the R8 based TTS.
    It has a limit, but I can help. Increase the spring stack and increase the air pressure to release it. I've been running the air cylinder slightly over pressure for a few years now to release my larger spring stack and the only problem was some debris I found inside the air cylinder that cause a leak when it wedge in a seal. That could have only gotten in there when it was assembled since my air goes through three filters and an air dryer before it gets to the machine. You can buy additional (bellville) spring washer from Tormach. They are not as cheap as elsewhere, but they are reasonable and you will know you have the same size springs. You can still walk out a larger endmill, but you can hear the difference in sound when its going to happen. Well if you have been doing it for atleast 2 or 3 days like I have.

I've managed to shear (and repair!) the key in the spindle getting greedy with the fly cutter, and roached several R8 collets learning the torque limits it can handle.
    That is quite an accomplishment. I think I push my Tormach pretty hard and I have not done either of those things.

The first great lesson inside week #1 with tool pullout was learned when a 1/4" lakeshore carbide corncob walked itself nearly 3/4" into the table. OOPS. I don't really mill with anything larger than 3/8" now and no longer run into any problems.
    That is weird. I've noticed LESS tendency to pull out with corn cobs than with regular 40ish degree aluminum helix end mills. I run a half inch rougher in aluminum almost everyday on the Tormach. I don't run it all that hard, but I probably have that roughinh operation programmed at one of the highest MRRs of any tool on the machine. I can take the same cut with a 1/2 inch Alumacut, but that will walk out of the machine runnign that hard.

Bottom line of my "review" is limit your expectations and don't blame the machine for your own f*ckups.
    And this was the line that decided me to reply. If I crash a tool or ruin a part I own it. Literally. I own the shop and everything it. I am not the only one who had issues with Tormach tool changers and in modern high production shops with modern large magazine machines umbrella tool changers in general are considered not as reliable as some other types.

For made in China, I make parts all day long that are +/- 0.001. In aluminum, just change the temperature and measure again if it's not in that window .
    I'd certainly be a buyer if a 2hp, servos & BT30 spindle upgrade became available for this thing.
    Pretty sure you can spend your boss's money and make that upgrade if you really want to. I could spend my own money and upgrade if I really wanted to, but I get real value out of my Tormach just the way it is every workday and often seven days a week. I do own two frackups 100%. 1. I bought a Tormach tool changer when other owners warned me against it. I gambled I was going to be one of the lucky ones like you so I can sneer down my nose at those who had problems. Well, I wound up on the other end of the nose. 2. When it started crashing I wasted a week trying to make it work before I ripped it off the machine and got back to taking care of my customers.

As to the crack about Chinese machines. You don't know what you are talking about. Other small Chinese machines are not in the same league as a Tormach. I know. I've owned them and still own some and the Tormach is far superior. In fact I have three (3) Syil Speedmasters in the shop now that run everyday. I also had a Charter Oak RF45 class CNC machine. It took months to fix everything that was wrong with the Syil machines before I could run them. I NEVER got everything right with the COA RF45 before I scrapped it. I'm not talking about electronics and setup either. I'm talking bad casting, oil passages not drilled, ball screw spacers missing, bad fans and whole host of other things that had to be mechanically fixed or replaced. Heck, one ballscrew had bad fixed bearings fresh out of the crate. I had the Tormach setup in a week with no repairs (bad computer was replaced) while simultaneously running other machines, and it didn't come fully assembled like the Syils did.

Maybe you are as superior or I am as incompetent as you make out, but I own it and if I frack it up I still own it, because, well, I fracking own it. I don't have any choice. I was nice, but there are issue that very much Tormach should own. However I am not going to take it out on them because you come off like a snob. Overall I'd buy another Tormach. I would NOT buy another Syil or another COA (I don't even know if COA is still in business). IN FACT I HAVE RECCOMENDED TORMACH TO OTHERS AND ATLEAST ONE OF MY COMPETITORS I KNOW FOR A FACT BOUGHT ONE BASED ATLEAST IN PART BASED ON MY RECCOMENDATION. HE TOLD ME SO.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com