586,075 active members*
4,316 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G203v Malfunction

From the time I bought my drives one of them was noisy and resisted all attempts at tuning both in Mack 3 and the pot on the drive.

I was finally able to get it to settle down some and continued with my project, but after changing to a ball screw on the Z axis (lathe) the real problem became apparent. It still is very noisy but now I can see clearly that there is a step count loss.

If I set up a job to turn down the radius in a number of passes, each pass stops short of the requested length by about .100" and zero progressively moves to the right also.

Tuning the pot does no good. x and z setup is identical in Mach (same ball screw), there is no back lash nor is backlash enabled in Mach. Setting backlash does no good either.

Changing the cables from z to x causes the problem to follow to the other motor.

If someone has an answer, please share it with me while I have whats left of my sanity.

John

If it's defective, call Gecko and they'll probably send you a new one.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Mariss is really quick on the trigger, it's boxed up and ready to ship back to him. He is, as usual, eager to learn about and improve, if possible, his product.

I suspect that there is a faulty component (in the morphing circuits, maybe) or I've managed to do some thing really stupid. Hard to figure what. I'm so paranoid I won't open the case in the shop. I always take it to the patio table to work on it just to avoid any stray chips.

In any case, either that one gets fixed or I buy another cause I'm sold on Gecko

As to the malfunctioning Gecko, it was deemed to be "within specs" and was returned to me presumably without alteration plus an extra new one "as a customer service" because of some confusion in getting the drive shipped.

The original one is still in the shipping onvelope but the new one is installed and happily functioning as nicely as the other "old" one,

I'm a happy camper!