586,075 active members*
4,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Misaligned somehow

I have a machine with similar dimensions and electronics to CNC router parts machines, but I’ve been experiencing a major alignment issue of some sort and I can’t figure it out. While doing an engraving of a frame I see that 2 opposite corners of the frame are way off from parallel with each other. Can someone tell me the likely adjustment I need? I will post a photo to illustrate what I mean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B22F8072-C021-44FE-84D0-D64408034295.jpg  

Re: Misaligned somehow

That's likely to be a mechanical issue. I'd go through the machine and make sure that nothing is loose.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    That's likely to be a mechanical issue. I'd go through the machine and make sure that nothing is loose.
    I just checked the table and the distance across the corners are off. I’m not sure how I’m going to get them square, but hopefully I’ll be able to. There may be a mechanical issue as well, but I think what is causing those 2 corners to distort that significantly is that the table isn’t square.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a homing sensor on the left and right front of your table? The cncrp machine does and uses it to get the racking out. They are screw adjusted and make it simple to align. They have the alignment and tramming video on their YouTube.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I only have it on the left side. I use switches rather than sensors. Would that work? I realized after checking the table that the distance between opposite corners was not the same, indicating that the corners weren’t exactly square. I’m going to try to see if I can loosen the fasteners enough to straighten it up. I’m a little skeptical that I will be able to but I’m going to try. If that’s unsuccessful, I may have to recut the beams or fasten them using just the aluminum plates rather than the beams themselves.

Your problem is not with alignment of the machine or axis. Something is causing your cutter to shift while cutting those particular lines while running. There is no alignment issue that can cause two different cuts in the same axis to be shift during the same gcode operation.

You need to check your motion hardware for loose set screws, belts, springs, etc depending on how your machine motion system works.

More pictures of these systems would assist us with helping you troubleshoot this issue.

Okay. I appreciate the explanation. That makes sense.

What happens when you run the program again over the same path?

Same cut, no cutting load. Would show machine flex issues.

That’s an odd problem indeed. You have several other lines in the same axis that cut OK, what is different about the two that went crooked?

Checking your frame for square was a smart place to start, sometimes even the pros overlook the obvious. My big yellow router had an issue from the factory where it would cut parts .030” wider on the right half of the table. Left side cut dead-nuts. Loooong story short, the guide rail datum on the gantry was curved by about .010”. So the spindle was swinging ever so slightly like a pendulum. Took them over a year to diagnose and repair.