586,409 active members*
2,951 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > attaching work to rotary on DIY table
Page 2 of 2 12

Good idea -- oops can't turn until...
    SO, guess its a run to the shop and take money! Bugger! (But at least I KNOW the gear is right!) Thx Graham. :cheers: Jim

HMMM maybe just whack off the shaft from the Globe motor - drill it out....I'll sleep on that.
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by High Seas View Post
    Good idea -- oops can't turn until...
    HMMM maybe just whack off the shaft from the Globe motor - drill it out....I'll sleep on that.
    I'm guessing you mean can't mill until...? Because if you don't have a lathe you can't drill out the shaft.

Here's an even more daft idea, take the encoder of the globe motor and couple your stepper to that, just for the time being, then later make the proper part. Bootstrap style. Remember that you can use a router/mill as a lathe if you can fit the stock in the collet

Graham

Yep - good idea too - I meant that I couldn't turn until I got the rotary going -- it will be my lathe-like axis. So thanks for helping me outta that box --like DOOH - use the router/drill press!
    The encoder bootstrap doesn't sound so daft -- I'll give that a look and report back with pics of solution.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by High Seas View Post
    Yep - good idea too - I meant that I couldn't turn until I got the rotary going -- it will be my lathe-like axis.
    Or hold rod in router collet and mount a lathe tool on your bed a voila a CNC lathe.

Graham

Puzzle bits!

Here are the three pieces of the puzzle. I got the encoder (oops I mean the gearbox ) apart and these are the relevant bits.

Note the dissimilar metal in the encoder (gearbox) shafting mount. I think I may wind up "loosing" the large diameter disk (with the 3 short shafts - they hold other gears in place in the gearbox) when I try and bore/drill the main shaft. In any case, the 3 short shafts are in the way. I suppose I could build a coupling that mounted the -------- shaft to the PACSCI motor - but the height really starts to stack up then -- nearly the length of the original Globe Motor!

Anyhow, I'd like to keep the _________ shaft as long as possible. The largest diameter of the ________ shaft looks like a good spot to place a set pin or screw.

Follow ups as i get it sorted.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails THE 3 Pieces of puzzle.jpg   ENCODER SHAFT.jpg   ENCODER SHAFT endview.jpg  

The encoder is on the other end of the motor, i.e an optical encoder that gives feed back to the origional motor controller.

What you are showing is a disassembled planetary gearbox.

The dissimilar bit is a weld.

Graham

And please don't even think about boring out that shaft without a lathe.

I use a sherline rotary with a 4 jaw chuck.

The chuck attaches to the rotary with a threaded adaptor spececifically made for the task. The rotary attaches to the mill table with 90 degree adaptor.

The 4 jaw works well because it will grip flatstock and hold it between a tailstock or it will grip square or round stock. Round stock being my preferred method. I usually mount my wax or pewter rough stock to a round mandrel which is mounted in the chuck.

The method I mentioned works well for those two materials(wax pewter) and improvision will obviosly be needed for other materials.

Graham - missed your post and headed to the workbench.
    After much careful consideration and a bit of luck, I got the pilot hole and the follow up --"Spot On."
    Then used a sizable drift punch and popped the shaft out of the planetary hub. Was press fit into the center - note the splines on the shaft and in the hub.

The hole is deep enough to permit me chopping the splined portion off the shaft.

I could find no useful bits on the encoder end - so dug into the gearbox. Figured I'd find some joy there - as that the business end that drives the rotary!

Now to find a set screw (tap, etc) and I'm away! Well, soon time to tackle another project.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails planatary gearbox shaft.jpg  

I think you might have had too much of the beer from those smileys, you called it an encoder shaft 5 times!

Glad you got it sorted out and I hope "spot on" is good enough.

Graham

Same error when I did the photos
    -- beer? Wot not RUM! (maybe G&T)
    AND I did learn too - the Planetary (gear) Shaft! [But wasn't until your post minus 1 I got it sorted]

SEE - EXPERIENCE! Just hope there is no bill to pay - else I have another one waiting in the wings as a spare if I need a redo.
    I'll work the stack up tomorrow and see how it all fits together. Then we'll know if we're close enuf. It'll be a few days 'til trial/ops check - other projects gotta fall into place first.

Like the mount. I want to use your design, I like that. Also looks more sturday than what I am doing.

Been dealing with family problems so not been working on it few couple weeks. I want to get it done and really like the mount you made.

Thanks for posting.
    Please check out my CNC blog
    http://cncinside.com

High Seas -
    You just punched this out? How hard was it?

Please check out my CNC blog
    http://cncinside.com

studysession -
    Yep - but I cheated a little bit. I had drilled the shaft (That"s the Planetary gear Shaft!), then put the punch down the hole and a few gentle taps - bing! Sweat as you please.

I gotta admit I feel very lucky getting as close as I did on the drilling. Take care in that bit! Might use the lathe as Graham suggests. And caution -- my PACSCIs are 1/4 inch shaft - so that doesn't leave a lot of meat when you get to the sides of the planetary shaft where its flattened for the gear.

As a compensation I didn't drill as deeply as I'd have liked. SO I get to make a new backing for the mount (tomorrow maybe) to take up the void.

I suspect you could just whack away with a drift punch before drilling. I built a small wood jig to use on the drill press and the whacking place.

Didn't shoot any pics of that incriminating activity

Hope that helps :cheers: Jim

Page 2 of 2 12