586,659 active members*
3,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 370 of 460 270320360368369370371372380420
Results 7,381 to 7,400 of 9195
    What Dynosor says is true.... to a point.

Back in UK in the late 60's the Country was lurching from one crises of supply to another as each Government messed with the combination of cost and expenditure and the Unions being what they were designed for just levered in their policies for the wage structure and made things go topsy turvy.

One of the issues the Dept of Transport attempted to fix was the shortage of petrol, and so the speed limit was set at 50MPH max......in order to conserve supply and prevent queues at the petrol stations.

If you exceeded the limit you got fined......but the arguement was, it was more economical to go at 80 to 100MPH on the motorways (right hand lane only) using the 5th gear (overdrive) that was designed to slow the engine reves and make it more economical.... whatever.

Many cases went to court and argued on this fact.

I was driving a Morris 1000 at the time (1 litre engine)and so enjoyed 150 mpg as a normal occurence, and I never got my speedometer oddometer fixed so can only assume my petrol mileage figures were OK....LOL.

Down in OZ we have 5 types of fuel at the pumps, premium unleaded, unleaded, E85, diesel fuel and LPG.

I read that article on the Jaguar C-X75 concept car with great interest, not because it was space age tecno wow factor food, but because the concept was so fundamentally sound.

It uses two mini gas turbines to spin the generators for electric power, stored in Lithium batteries and also for extended runs on the open road, driving 4 seperate electric motors, one in each wheel.

The beauty is it uses any fuel it can burn in the turbines, not special highly refined petrol.
    The turbines have only one moving part, no lubrication (air bearings), and no water cooling problems, it does use lots of fresh air, so don't hold your breath....LOL....and the CO2 emmission running direct on turbines is only 28 grams per.... whatever.

Break this down to the technology required for the average commuter car, single gas turbine, battery pack and 4 wheel electric drive, no idling losses at traffic lights, any fuel you can get, even salad oil off the Supermarket shelf, no need to refine crude oil for exotic fuel needs or process corn to make Ethanol, and you have the all round solution to the energy problem.

Back in the early 1800's, when steam was starting to get down to the farm, a number of stationary steam engines were designed, complete with boilers that ran on the waste by products from the threshing process, no coal needed to produce the motive power for threshing, just corn stalks.

The moment you start to climb the ladder of technology, the further from reality the target becomes.....and at this moment in time the techno nuts are very high up the ladder, dabbling with that deadly of all forces..... the mighty Atom smasher.

A scientist is not a simple person, that is he/she is a convoluted agglomeration of twisted facts that given the very fullness of the laboratory that spawned them, can make anything happen, but for all practical purposes the "happening" does not necessarily have to be attached to reality, and the end user has the uncomfortable experience of cleaning up the aftermath of technology gone on a wild ride of fantasy.

It becomes more deadly when a Government is influenced by the Techno Nuts in financing and applying their wild flights of fancy, by way of the taxpayers dollars.

At this moment in time the Ethanol flight of fancy is paying tribute to the car ownership fetish, where big is beautifull and small is not masculine, otherwise we would all be riding motor scooters or Mopeds to work as they do in the 3rd World economies, soon to be your mode of life, when the alternative is to walk.

The story is children....KISS...Keep It Stupid Simple, the simpler the better.
    Ian.

This is a MUST read....Yamal and Hide-the-Decline

Yamal and Hide-the-Decline « Climate Audit

This is a very well outlined discourse on the origins of the Hockey Stick.

...........back on windmills.......

2000 birds in one location, in one relatively short period, is "occasional"? I won't get into semantics. But that's not a word I believe to be appropriate, even given that there's a lot of windmills operating 24/7, with 3 blades each, so the death or injury (not addressed in the study) would in fact be...."occasional"....

But like drunk driving....a drunk driver only kills someone "occasionally" by your standards. So why is it an issue?

I don't oppose wind power, only the application of it on broad and forced-funding scales, and WITHOUT the economic/efficiency hype. All I ask is that you tell it like it is. Let us make reasoned decisions, decisions not dependent upon corporate profits we're forced to subsidize by legislation.

so your solution is to murder 5 billion people. and let me guess - YOU get to pick who lives.

spoken like a true fool believing in man made global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by 40fordcoupe View Post
    OK no problem we will be overrun with rats and mosquitoes, no bigee. Wait this is it! Rats carry the plague and misquitoes carry malari. No more population problem. All we have to do is eliminate 70% of the World's population and wind power alone can take care of our needs.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    But like drunk driving....a drunk driver only kills someone "occasionally" by your standards. So why is it an issue?
    I do get your point. But as much as I dislike the idea of drunk drivers killing people it does also perversely back up my point. I would not ban motorised transport (or alchohol for that matter) because of an occasional death. Instead I would look into ways of maximising the benefits of cars and alchohol while minimising the injury and death.

I don't oppose wind power, only the application of it on broad and forced-funding scales, and WITHOUT the economic/efficiency hype. All I ask is that you tell it like it is. Let us make reasoned decisions, decisions not dependent upon corporate profits we're forced to subsidize by legislation.
    On that point I agree entirely. I am 100% for letting the economic viability of any energy station speak for itself and 100% against legislation forcing the use or non-use of any energy plant.

OK, if there is a very real significant health risk like a leaking nuclear plant it would be justified in legislation shutting it down. But not legislation banning nuclear plants in general because they *might* one day become faulty.

I would put that in the same category as banning cars because they *might* one day blow up or banning electricity because you *might* get electrocuted. That is all in the category of benefits vs risk analysis. And that should only be carried out by someone with zero emotional, fiscal or political bias...

Which again comes back to my point that radical greens should not be the ones making environmental decisions any more than the local AA group should be making the decision to approve a restaurant's liquor license.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    Which again comes back to my point that radical greens should not be the ones making environmental decisions any more than the local AA group should be making the decision to approve a restaurant's liquor license.
    ....Ok, which brings us back to being on the same page.

Someone must be eavesdropping

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    I would put that in the same category as banning cars because they *might* one day blow up or banning electricity because you *might* get electrocuted. That is all in the category of benefits vs risk analysis. And that should only be carried out by someone with zero emotional, fiscal or political bias...
    EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

Cars will be banned from London and all other cities across Europe under a draconian EU masterplan to cut CO2 emissions by 60 per cent over the next 40 years.

The European Commission on Monday unveiled a "single European transport area" aimed at enforcing "a profound shift in transport patterns for passengers" by 2050.

The plan also envisages an end to cheap holiday flights from Britain to southern Europe with a target that over 50 per cent of all journeys above 186 miles should be by rail.

Top of the EU's list to cut climate change emissions is a target of "zero" for the number of petrol and diesel-driven cars and lorries in the EU's future cities.

Siim Kallas, the EU transport commission, insisted that Brussels directives and new taxation of fuel would be used to force people out of their cars and onto "alternative" means of transport.

"That means no more conventionally fuelled cars in our city centres," he said. "Action will follow, legislation, real action to change behaviour."

snip============================================== =====================

EU proposes black boxes for cars

EU proposes black boxes for cars - Telegraph

Cars could be fitted with aircraft-style black boxes, under European Commission plans that opponents fear could lead to an expansion of the big brother state.

The European Commission has spent £2.4 million on Project Veronica, a study on how the boxes would work. The boxes, known as an Event Data Recorders (EDR), could monitor vehicles' speed and the actions of the driver - when and how often the brakes, indicators and horn were applied.

Supporters say they could be used to reconstruct what happened in the event of a commission which would make it easier for insurance companies to decide who was at fault and, where necessary, enable police to take action against the driver.

It would also check whether built-in safety devices functioned properly.

However, the proposals are likely to trigger concern among civil liberties groups over the growth of the surveillance state.

Simon Davies, of Privacy International, warned that in future, such a system could be combined with other technology to keep a constant eye on motorists' every movement.

Boltz wrote:

"Mariss, you've made some pretty bold assertions here. I invite you to back them up."

I'd happy to do that. First off, an Alberta Clipper is a low pressure (unsettled weather) system, not an Arctic high pressure that brings the really cold winter temperatures. From Wikipedia:

"An Alberta clipper (also known as a Canadian Clipper) is a fast moving low pressure area which generally affects the central provinces of Canada and parts of the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes regions of the United States."

You can't use windmills when "the wind howls" either. There are some extremely funny videos of European windmills thrashing themselves to pieces shedding their windmill blades and collapsing their towers when the wind really blows. Check youtube.com for those; luckily no one has been killed yet by flying debris when these ridiculous contraptions commit suicide. It's only a matter of time before that tragedy happens.

Continuing from Wikipedia:

"Highs are frequently associated with light winds at the surface and subsidence through the lower portion of the troposphere.The land-based Siberian High often remains quasi-stationary for more than a month during the most frigid time of the year, making it unique in that regard."

Hope that helps you understand the really cold winter weather and the absence of winds that usually accompanies it. The windmills in Great Britain were non-functional for over a month during this past winter's arctic outbreak when they were needed most. It's what happens when you rely on 13th century technology.

Mariss

"EU bans cars from city by 2050"......try driving into Bristol, UK with a car.... RIGHT NOW.... and see how far you get, same for Bath, UK.....the town planners who dislike having cars messing up their town planning and inadequate potty road systems, have decided that the road system is not really suitable for cars, but buses, which will operate just outside of the city and bring the people into town in droves.....they wish.

It has been an uncomfortable realisation by the UK Town Planners and the Retail Organisation that if'n you don't give the people enough incentive to WANT to go into town they'll just spend their money elsewhere.

Lucky for the inhabitants of the LUCKY COUNTRY, we only have a relatively small population 26 mill or so compared to UK with it's busting at the seams 60 mill + and all crammed into a land mass smaller than out majour state, Victoria.

On top of that we have a road system that was designed to cater for traffic flow at peak hours, without those twisty turns and bottlenecks the UK is fondly referring to as quaint village rural real estate.

The same would apply to South Africa, a country that also designed it's road system to suit the traffic conditions and planned the towns and cities accordingly.

Many of the roads in the cities in South Africa around the 17 and 1800's were designed so that an OX wagon and a team of Oxen could do a U turn without causing the wagon to turn over.

BTW, just prior to the 2nd World War, the German high authority, the Nazis, made a proclamation that Jews were not allowed out after 6PM on a Saturday night, and the Jews replied, "who goes out on a Saturday night anyway".....such is the thin end of the wedge, and now they... whoever....but definately European...are at it again.

It would seem that the European mindset is bent on controling the people for the sake of control and the power that comes with it.

Pretty soon the washing of clothes will have to done in a centralised Government approved facility, and that is after the food is also obtained from approved Government sources to be consumed in Government approved eating houses.

The last nail in the coffin........you will only be allowed to live for as long as the space allocated to you is available, and not have any more offspring without Government approval......numbers will be allocated as required.
    Ian.

Nobody would like my answer. There is no reason to have more than 2 kids . This isn't the old days where you needed extra hands to run the farm or ranch . I feel people should at least have to show means to support a child before they can have one . If they chose to have more than two they quit getting tax deductions and get a tax increase . We are getting too overwhelmed in schools and health care and can no longer support this freedom . I myself am tired of paying for the less fortunate that have nothing to do but pump out babies with no means for support.

what if you factored in trees as an offset, just one tree stores 13 pounds of Co2 per year. one person needs about 400 trees to be carbon neutral, my question is does it really matter? there really is no proof Co2 causes global worming.

You should look into birth rates, all over the world they are decreasing but not in Muslim countries or for Muslim immigrants, the west is dying and at current birth rates/immigration the United States should be speaking Spanish in about 70 years and under sharia law in 100 years. Germany will be under sharia law in 60 years, France in 39 years. England I think in 70 years at current birth rates.

sick isn't it? folks are actually listening to globalist and the elites say we the common folk are the problem. i am sure the Giorgia Guide Stones should bring tears of joy to people that feel 80% of the world needs to die. if you haven't seen these stones Google it, they are shocking and i call them the tomb stones for humanity.

I saw a program a while ago that a scientist in russia found there is more methane and other gases being released from melting glaciers than anything man made . Snow and ice seems to suck the stuff up and store it til it melts . I can fully see this happening . In our sierra mountains we have had so much snow that propane lines are bursting and the snow burying the houses is sucking it up. When it melts it releases the gas and sometimes the house goes BOOM .

Nobody can say for certain we are not causing this . I dont care how smart or educated any of us are.

Quote Originally Posted by LatheMaster View Post
    I saw a program a while ago that a scientist in russia found there is more methane and other gases being released from melting glaciers than anything man made . Snow and ice seems to suck the stuff up and store it til it melts . I can fully see this happening . In our sierra mountains we have had so much snow that propane lines are bursting and the snow burying the houses is sucking it up. When it melts it releases the gas and sometimes the house goes BOOM .

Nobody can say for certain we are not causing this . I dont care how smart or educated any of us are.
    Nobody can say for certain we ARE causing this. I don't care how smart or educated any of us are. In fact, no one has yet to prove we are.

Ever heard the saying " R's the reason why " ? Take japans nuke plant as an example . It was supose to already be decommissioned years ago . They put off what was supose to be done years ago . Now they have destroyed a lot of there country . Were talking about the entire planet here . Are you so selfish you want to ride on the ' never never ' . Scientist are supose to find better and new ways to do things . All science seems to do anymore is improve what's already there . Not invent better and cleaner methods .

Quote Originally Posted by LatheMaster View Post
    Ever heard the saying " R's the reason why " ? Take japans nuke plant as an example . It was supose to already be decommissioned years ago . They put off what was supose to be done years ago . Now they have destroyed a lot of there country . Were talking about the entire planet here . Are you so selfish you want to ride on the ' never never ' . Scientist are supose to find better and new ways to do things . All science seems to do anymore is improve what's already there . Not invent better and cleaner methods .
    The name Japan should be capitalized. In the context of your usage, it should also have an apostrophe, so it would be seen as "Japan's".

"...destroyed a lot of there country." Did you mean to use the word "their", or do you just not know how to write?

"Were talking about...." We were? You were? Who was? Or did you mean "We're", as in we are??

Are you accusing me of being selfish? What's that got to do with your statements about methane and climate change being anthropogenically forced?

Finally, scientists aren't "supose" to do anything. They simply do what interests them. You really need to study up on what science is, and is not. Additionally, you really should pay more attention to what is really going on in real science, not what you see on Skateboard Illustrated or the Disney Channel.

There are some incredible things going on in science, across all fields. New, and improved. The knobs in science really do go to 11.

"...destroyed a lot of there country." Did you mean to use the word "their", or do you just not know how to write?
    Have a care. As soon as you pull them up on their appalling grammar they play the dyslexia card and claim you are making light of their 'disability'.

Besides, without it, how could we separate the wheat from the chaff so easily?

Robin,
    I hope the dyslexia doesn't translate into their programming....because as any of us who have written code know that spelling and punctuation are PARAMOUNT to a successful, crash-free program??

Wouldn't let this guy be workin' my CNCs!! --Go the freezer, get the cheese, maybe....
    Now, it's possible the guy's runnin' a Mazak with conversational programming. LOL! Now there's some weird conversations that go on with those funny little prompts, and having to lie to it half the time 'cause the Mazatrol has a mind of its own....
    There's a reason it's nicknamed "Mazalarm"..( just 'tween us, I really like mine)

----------------------
    Some posts ago the question about mileage vs. speed was addressed. There's some straight physics you could apply, BUT...as this website will show, it's not all plain and simple.

Look at the high speed mileage graph to see how different cars have different CHANGES in mileage, owing to differences in fundamental design aspects of the individual cars.

Speed kills: testing MPH vs. MPG in top gear - MetroMPG.com

R as any of us who have written code know that spelling and punctuation are PARAMOUNT to a successful, crash-free program??
    Ain't that the truth. I'm currently reprogramming an old Roland PNC-3000 desktop mill in z80 assembler. Last night I typed a semi-colon instead of a colon.

sXmax; ds 2

I spent an hour this morning wondering why it didn't work. Eventually I looked at the listing output, saw the program counter hadn't moved on and guessed what I'd done.

I put on my reading glasses and got really close to the screen to make sure. It seems ZASM really will let you declare a label without a tailing colon.

c# would have underlined that in a trice

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Ain't that the truth. I'm currently reprogramming an old Roland PNC-3000 desktop mill in z80 assembler. Last night I typed a semi-colon instead of a colon.

sXmax; ds 2

I spent an hour this morning wondering why it didn't work. Eventually I looked at the listing output, saw the program counter hadn't moved on and guessed what I'd done.

I put on my reading glasses and got really close to the screen to make sure. It seems ZASM really will let you declare a label without a tailing colon.

c# would have underlined that in a trice
    All you need is some good editing program . I used Cimco 5.5 . You can alocate colors to letters , numbers , or whatever . You can run graphics . Making the font size bigger helps too and make them bold . I also have X4 so that helps a lot . I can usually have a part drawn , programmed and edited for the machine in 2hrs . 1-1.5hrs to set the machine up . There really big castings I deal with . About 14hrs run time on the ones i'm running now . You don't want any errors when your part is 4000lbs and 6ft tall with 6" jaws holding it in the machine . Sometimes we can clamp them too .

More less you know your perfect before you start the machine with Cimco .

Page 370 of 460 270320360368369370371372380420