586,296 active members*
4,284 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 448 of 460 348398438446447448449450458
Results 8,941 to 8,960 of 9197
    as far as the concerns are concerned they are many and for the most worst there are various human activities increasing putting new issues at times .. so what is the remedy to keep a study check on such a havoc going to blast as soon as the days are passing

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCordell View Post
    as far as the concerns are concerned they are many and for the most worst there are various human activities increasing putting new issues at times .. so what is the remedy to keep a study check on such a havoc going to blast as soon as the days are passing
    I couldn't have said it better. Whatever it was you said...

Quote Originally Posted by dufas View Post
    Any person who thinks they can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him/her better take a closer look at the American Indian...
    In case anyone might be interested in the opinion of an actual American Indian on this subject, allow me to expound my point of view.

PHS (the medical care the govt. "gives" the Indian) is second only to VA on the horrid list. You would be better off going to any veterinarian clenic.

BIA "gives" reservation Indians a subsistence somewhere below welfare, but they must live on the reservation.

Granted that some improvement has been made in recent years but many are still living in mud huts called hogans.
    Can anyone say "trapped in a life style where the only escape is alcoholism"?

My grandparents were residents of the state of Texas and so were "given" 100 acres of land rather than being sent to a reservation. A few short years later the state foreclosed on their land for nonpayment of property taxes. (The land was located in what is today downtown Dallas)

They then learned how to work for money ( a foreign concept to an Indian) and lifted themselves out of poverty.

To all white Americans, "Welcome to the reservation, you will really love Obamacare!"
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jhowelb View Post
    In case anyone might be interested in the opinion of an actual American Indian on this subject, allow me to expound my point of view.

PHS (the medical care the govt. "gives" the Indian) is second only to VA on the horrid list. You would be better off going to any veterinarian clenic.

BIA "gives" reservation Indians a subsistence somewhere below welfare, but they must live on the reservation.

Granted that some improvement has been made in recent years but many are still living in mud huts called hogans.
    Can anyone say "trapped in a life style where the only escape is alcoholism"?

My grandparents were residents of the state of Texas and so were "given" 100 acres of land rather than being sent to a reservation. A few short years later the state foreclosed on their land for nonpayment of property taxes. (The land was located in what is today downtown Dallas)

They then learned how to work for money ( a foreign concept to an Indian) and lifted themselves out of poverty.

To all white Americans, "Welcome to the reservation, you will really love Obamacare!"
    jhowelb....
    permission to quote this on my FB?

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    I couldn't have said it better. Whatever it was you said...
    I agree totally.

jhowelb....
    permission to quote this on my FB?
    Quote away, my friend, just be aware that this only starts to cover the vitriol, anger and distrust of government!
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

I grew up surrounded by three Indian reservations. At that time, the last of the reparations were being doled out, but the monies were held in individual 'accounts' and each tribe member was given an account number that was only good at government sales.... The people could not directly access any of the funds. The BIA, Bureau of Indian Affairs, set up special sales of government owned [and well used] articles for sale at auctions for bid by Indians only. It was devious the way it worked. Indians would attend the auctions in the hopes of purchasing items that they could turn around and sell in order to buy things that more suited their needs.

An example of how the scam worked would be an older, well used forest service pickup truck would be brought to the gavel. Instead of asking 'who will start the bid" on the truck, the auctioneer would state that a starting bid price has been set at $800.00 and then ask for the first bid. The truck might have been worth $150.00 if even that much, [1955 prices...], while a brand new truck was selling off the show room floor for around a $1,000.00 at that time. Of course, a bidding war would usually erupt and the prices would drastically rise. Money placed in an account somewhere by the government is not the same as money in one's pocket so there was no feeling as to the money's real value. Many times the bids would rise many times over the true value of the item at the dock. I watched a '48 Ford pickup that looked like a six foot wide truck was forced through four foot wide hole. There wasn't a panel on that vehicle that didn't have major damage to it and it went for $2,200.00....

This worked out well for the government and the auctioneer. The government was guaranteed to recoup at least 75 percent of the cost of any item and the auctioneer's commission would be much higher.... The Indians were left holding the bag because they could only get around $0.05 on the dollar value when they resold items and this only applied to items that were worth something, much of the stuff was junk that wasn't worth anything. Buying desk and chair set for $250.00 when one can buy the same thing in a junk shop for $15.00 is not going to help anybody but the government....

The last time I visited that area, there were still Indians living in Wikiups, wood stick structures covered in a sand and clay mixture. Probably close to what jhowelb calls hogans. I have seen people living in leantos, where the same construction method of sticks and clay was used only these were three sided and the fourth wall was a face of a cliff or a large rock outcrop. There some living in old buses or large vans. It was not a pretty sight and these people deserve more respect than they are getting...

"stevelkneivel says: Since 1970, the Earth's heat content has been rising at a rate of 6 x 1021 Joules per year."

Wow! That sounds like a lot of Joules! Hm..let's see what my calculator says:

Let's start with 1 calorie raises 1 cu-cm of water 1 degree Celsius, 1 calorie equals 4.1868 Joules and a cubic km is 10^15 cubic cm. Now let's cut that 6*10^21 puppy down to size.
    6*10^21 divided by 4.1868 is 1.43*10^21 calories
    1.43*10^21 calories divided 10^15 cu-cm is 1,433,070 degrees C temperature for a cubic km of water. Now that's hot!
    Lets instead put that heat into 1,433,070 cubic km of water to get a temperature rise of 1 degree C. Whew, that's better!
    But wait, there are 1.37*10^9 cubic kilometers of water in the oceans. Let's divide 1.43*10^6 by 1.37*10^9 to get the payoff number!

------------------------------------------------------
    All your Bazillion Joules raises the the ocean temperature one one-thousandth of a degree! (OK, 1.04*10^-3 degree C). Why, it would take 1,000 years to get just 1 degree temperature rise. Now that's really scary!
    ------------------------------------------------------

Also stevelkneivel, if you are going to get all "scientific", at least get your science basics right. "6 X1021 joules" is 6,126 Joules which would just about heat a single cup of coffee. I gave you a pass on that by assuming you meant 6*10^21 Joules.

Really sloppy is your "Since 1970, the Earth's heat content has been rising at a rate of 6 x 1021 Joules per year." The Earth's heat content? All the way from the earth's crust, through the mantle and onto the molten iron core 4,000 miles below? Really?

An axiom I always follow is it's a fool's errand to care more in helping someone than they care themselves. You fit that axiom to a tee.

Thomas Jefferson

There are two parts. Be sure to read the 2nd part (in RED).
    Thomas Jefferson was a very remarkable man who started learning very early in life and never stopped.

At 5, began studying under his cousin's tutor

At 9, studied Latin, Greek and French.

At 14, studied classical literature and additional languages.

At 16, entered the College of William and Mary. Also could write in Greek with one hand while writing the same in Latin with the other.

At 19, studied Law for 5 years starting under George Wythe.

At 23, started his own law practice.

At 25, was elected to the Virginia House of Burgesses.

At 31, wrote the widely circulated "Summary View of the Rights of British America? And retired from his law practice.

At 32, was a Delegate to the Second Continental Congress.

At 33, wrote the Declaration
    of Independence.

At 33, took three years to revise Virginia's legal code and wrote a Public Education bill and a statute for Religious Freedom.

At 36, was elected the second Governor of Virginia succeeding Patrick Henry.

At 40, served in Congress for two years.

At 41, was the American minister to France and negotiated commercial treaties with European nations along with Ben Franklin and John Adams.

At 46, served as the first Secretary of State under George Washington.

At 53, served as Vice President and was elected president of the American Philosophical Society.

At 55, drafted the Kentucky Resolutions and became the active head of Republican Party.

At 57, was elected the third president of the United States.

At 60, obtained the Louisiana Purchase doubling the nation's size.

At 61, was elected to a second term as president.

At 65, retired to Monticello.

At 80, helped President Monroe shape the Monroe Doctrine.

At 81, almost single-handedly created the University of Virginia and served as its first president.

At 83, died on the 50th anniversary of the Signing of the Declaration of Independence along with John Adams.
    Thomas Jefferson knew because he himself studied the previous failed attempts at government. He understood actual history, the nature of God, his laws and the nature of man. That happens to be way more than what most understand today. Jefferson really knew his stuff. A voice from the past to lead us in the future:

John F. Kennedy held a dinner in the white House for a group of the brightest minds in the nation at that time. He made this statement: "This is perhaps the assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in the White House with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

Hiiiyyyyy, I have to laugh when any bleeding hearts voice sympathy for the American Indians......that is when they go to the reservations to see how the nation of freedom lovers is treating their original people....LOL.....how insulated in your comfortable SUV's can you get.
    Ian, the unrepentant one.

This explains Algore's extreme interest!

World Is Spending $1 Billion Per Day To Tackle Global Warming | The Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF)

World Is Spending $1 Billion Per Day To Tackle Global Warming

Date: 22/10/13
    EurActiv

The world invested almost a billion dollars a day in limiting global warming last year, but the total figure – $359 billion – was slightly down on last year, and barely half the $700 billion per year that the World Economic Forum has said is needed to tackle climate change.

These are the findings spelled out in the latest Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) report. For the first time, it estimated global North-South cash flows at between $39 and $62 billion.

That might be the amount they are spending spreading the lies they do.

I just read that due to our coal plants being phased out, that our air quality is getting better. People will believe anything. I doubt any have even gone off line yet. The hot air comes from Washington and the corrupt power brokers who run with them.
    A lazy man does it twice.

That might be the amount they are spending spreading the lies they do. <-- Opinion.
    I just read that due to our coal plants being phased out, <--can be verified - it you cared.
    that our air quality is getting better. <-- can be verified - it you cared.
    People will believe anything. <--fact. You are a perfect example of this.
    I doubt any have even gone off line yet.<-- can be verified - it you cared.
    The hot air comes from Washington and the corrupt power brokers who run with them.<-- Opinion.

So - you offer tired old opinion and hearsay.

Tell me again why you bothered to post?

The power plant in Chamois, Mo closed at the end of September, 2013
    The plants owner made the following statement to the media.
    Central Electric described a major reason for closing the plant in a statement. They said making changes to meet the 2015 regulations would cost an estimated $4.1 million and another $150,000 every year to operate.

It was the town's major employer.

Mark I do care, just not about the same things you do. I have been seeing snake oil salesmen for years.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by 40fordcoupe View Post
    The power plant in Chamois, Mo closed at the end of September, 2013

It was the town's major employer.
    This is one area where I have a huge problem, that of the argument "... it creates jobs..."

When it comes to energy, the fewer jobs that are directly related to energy creation the better off we are. The more energy density there is in the source that requires fewer jobs, the more productive manpower/capital there is available. Bad analogy, I know, but a perpetual motion machine means nothing if it doesn't do any work or provide benefit. If everyone was producing energy, everyone would be employed, but there'd be no one to do anything WITH the energy.... while that is a ridiculous extreme, it demonstrates my point.

Wind and solar are great for very small scale backup and ancillary applications, but not for large municipalities, certainly not for industry. By pushing this country in the direction of wind & solar on huge scales, I believe we're going backwards. More and more people working on less and less technologically advanced systems, with less and less energy density...
    A blight to the eye, a blight to the wallet, and with bold promises that are not without consequence. Remember, you don't get something for nothing.

The people who advocate coal, gas, and nuclear power are not necessarily anti-clean air, or anti-environment. Many are also very pragmatic, and many see through the tired old snake oil salesman methodology.

This is one area where I have a huge problem, that of the argument "... it creates jobs..."

When it comes to energy, the fewer jobs that are directly related to energy creation the better off we are.
    I totally agree, with you sir. The so called clean air act is destroying our basis for creating wealth. Government creates jobs, but nothing of value is produced from most of them.
    Our policies remain tied to Keynesian Economics instead of free market economy. While Europe is trying to get back to free markets.

One day you will have to realize that the INTENT is destruction of the economy and with it all our societal mechanism. Only then can the world be rebuilt in the image envisioned by Karl Marx>

One day you will have to realize that the INTENT is destruction of the economy and with it all our societal mechanism. Only then can the world be rebuilt in the image envisioned by Karl Marx>
    Do you mean <gasp> there is a hidden agenda? Are you implying that those on the left are following a false premise? Just kidding IMHO that has been the intent of the left for a very long time and you are correct many do not know where we are headed.

Page 448 of 460 348398438446447448449450458