587,006 active members*
3,234 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal rigging question

Fadal rigging question

Asking for a fellow shop owner

Can you just pop off the Z axis motor with the 4 allen head bolts to get it rigged in place and would it be that easy?

He is getting a 4020 that might have a extended Z and putting into a area that has a 109" dock height. Wasnt the normal height 104"s and the extended Z something like 128"s?

Z motor is no problem to remove. 1 in 3 chance of getting it back on right for the CS as well. Easy to figure out but even easier to mark the coupling when removing.
    There is also the cable carrier to remove up there (I think).

Where there is a will there is a way.
    No problem
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Doesnt removing the Z axis motor take more than the bolts though? Also wouldnt it cause the spindle to move around in shipping?

Have you considered the fact that the head will be lowered and blocked prior to shipping? Will that make it through his door?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    He is getting a 4020 that might have a extended Z and putting into a area that has a 109" dock height. Wasnt the normal height 104"s and the extended Z something like 128"s?
    I have a 4020 with the extended Z (28"). The top of the encoder is right at 104" and the motor & energy chain is below this for shipping.

HTH,
    Don

put the shipping pins into the z axis counter weight

Block the head

e-stop and power down

remove z axis motor, I put some tape on the motor and mount to line it all back up correct, zip tie the motor to something to keep it from flopping around, pocket the delrin coupler or whatever you have in there

remove the screws holding the gorilla track, front and rear cap screws and 4 phillips heads as I remember

drop the track

out you go.

Quote Originally Posted by donl517 View Post
    Have you considered the fact that the head will be lowered and blocked prior to shipping? Will that make it through his door?

Don

Don thanks but I dont think the Z axis motor ever changes height. So the top of your Z axis is the same height as any other fadal...this would make sense. Now after enteding the z to tool change height it is then 128"s right?

Nervis I will tell him about the pins!

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    Don thanks but I dont think the Z axis motor ever changes height. So the top of your Z axis is the same height as any other fadal...this would make sense. Now after enteding the z to tool change height it is then 128"s right?
    Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post, I was thinking about the spindle motor not the Z Axis motor.

At tool change height 128", with the extended Z, to the top of the spindle motor looks right.

As I said the Z Axis motor is right around 104".

HTH,
    Don

Well I went and looked at the machine with him. It is a 1992 4020 with the 88 (Junk control IMO). It ran well on the high end but stalled the spindle on anything less than 500rpm and kept a 30-50% load on the spindle at anything less than 1000rpm...could be one of those little steel wheels that move the belts or keep tension. On the upside it did have a 10000rpm spindle and a spindle chiller but I think he is better off getting a machine with a better 88hs control and rigid tapping