Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
The Galil UI software can be programmed in several languages, and yes, it uses API calls. C++, C#, and VB.net are quite common, Python and other languages less so. I use VB.net.

The UI displays the normal information that the operator needs to run the machine, and allows operator control of the normal machine functions required for operation using mouse or keyboard. It also does the file handling for loading and editing G code, and setting up tool offsets and that kind of thing. The UI also translates the G code into DMC code that the Galil can understand. When running a job, the primary purpose of the UI is to keep the command buffer full so the controller does not run out of things to do before the end of the job. So yes, I would say it's a FrankenApp and pretty much works like any other CNC operator interface.

The primary reason for me using a Galil product is that it's easy for me to program and is very flexible. As I said above, it will run any machine that requires a motion controller, not limited to CNC machine tools. Writing my own software allows me to easily make any changes or add functionality as needed. I have all of the communication modules written and can drop those into a program to create a UI for any type of a machine.

For most CNC machine tool applications, the EMC2+Mesa interfaces will work fine.
Thanks for the reply Jim !

Didn't look at it that way ! if Galil is your automation Swiss knife then, it makes sense to bother learning/mastering the tool which allows you to diversify/broaden your market opportunities.

So, you get paid the same whether you work on a machine tool or a skinny flow pack machine, it only depends on the time it takes

Thanks very much !