586,036 active members*
3,532 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Controllers ?

What are some of the reasons one might choose say Mach2 over TurboCNC controls ?

Are there others with out spending a fortune?

Thanks
    Ken

Hi again Ken, I have never tried Turbo but this was in their front page and subsequently detered me.

NOTE: Direct port access is not permitted under Windows NT, 2000, and XP, and so the proper function of TurboCNC with these operating systems is not a given.
    I figured that if it wasnt up to date with working on XP, then it probably was a finished product and not going to be further developed. ( Just my strange way of thinking )
    Being outside the square !!!

1) Mach2 is programmable. You can write macros to do some very cool things.
    2) You can load DXF and images direct without converting to gcode.
    3) It runs under Windows - good or bad depending on your opinion.
    4) Constanst velocity contouring.
    5) Better documentation.
    6) Interface can be customized to exactly what you want.

TurboCNC in pretty good, but Mach2 is a bit more advanced.

Robert

I understand Mach2 will handle G41 and G42 tool offsets.

I like Turbocnc. I use it because my computer has W98 and not sure I can upgrade to W2k. Also most of my milling is 3d contours and I don't use tool diameter comp with that.
    Bill

Re: Controllers ?

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
    What are some of the reasons one might choose say Mach2 over TurboCNC controls ?

Are there others with out spending a fortune?

Thanks
    Ken
    http://www.cnczeus.com
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I've just got into this; and i must say Mach2 looks daunting; I started using Turbo and I feel it's fantastic; but then I just write the gcode and run it
    If I need more complex stuff it's likely I'll use both at the same time (turbo for the simple lathe stuff; Mach for the Mill)

Thanks Guys, appreciate the input. Think I will opt for Mach2, I like the idea of being able to write VB Macros and the cleaner interface, but for $20-$25 TurboCNC I may give that a try as well. It seems to get people up and running real quick.

Ken

Ken one more reason for Mach2, at least at the present, is that Art is working on the interface for the new Gecko 2002. I just say a post form him the other night that he was going to test to see if Mach2 could be run with win since it would not have to do the pulsing within windows but just be the GUI for the system. I don't know if Turbo is working on this or not.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Mike, Gecko 2002 interface

Ken

2002 is USB ported; it will be a diff story than LPT1

I have been talking to a guy down under about the same thing; it could provide as many as 24 inputs and output channels

Could someone explain the function of post processor for me?
    I am too new to exactly know what it is?
    And why do the cnc controllers' prices differ so much??
    Could CAM generate g-code directly? in that case, why should I need post processor?
    Could someone make a comparison for all available controllers?
    It is quite hard to compare them without expertise like yours!

March 2: $145 for 6 axis
    http://www.artofcnc.ca/

Turbo CNC: $20 for 8 axis
    http://www.dakeng.com/turbocnc.html

WinCNC: $1600 for 5 axis
    http://www.cnccontroller.com/wcode.html

Flashcut: $1095 for 4 axis
    http://www.flashcutcnc.com/

CamSoft: $1995 ~ $4995 for 8 axis
    http://www.cnccontrols.com/

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by calkai1

And why do the cnc controllers' prices differ so much??
    1 word

Greed

All control programs read a slightly different version/format of gcode or have features or commands that are non-standard. A post processor allows a CAM program to support any machine by changing a configuration file.

The prices differ depending on complexity and support hardware. Flashcut has a signal generator box that you must have, which costs money to produce. If you compare TurboCNC and Mach2 you'd have to look at the features and complexity. TurboCNC is a great program and is probably underpriced at $20. Mach2 is a higher performance solution with many many more features and is a much more sophisticated architecture than TurboCNC.

I'm not sure why you'd want to go with anything higher priced than Mach2, but other who have used those products can comment on their merits.

Robert
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'll add, that you can "reverse enginerer" a model by using MACH2 and a simple touch probe built out of a micro switch and a dial indicator. Pretty cool option.

There were a few rough spots for me on getting it up and running - but it was a system integration thing - NOT MACH2!

Also note, robgrz has his own set of software coming along - MESHCAM, so you might give his thoughts some solid consideration. And his prices are in the very reasonable range too.
    Cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Thanks for your inputs!!

I am also interested in buying Mach 2 for my project mainly due to the detailed documentation and further uderlying development.
    I am thinking to build a small 5 axis mill for milling plastic model.

I think that I could use masterCam in my school with Mach2, but there seem to be no post processor for them.

The post processers seems to be questionable in availability.
    Should I chose the CAM which has the post for mach2?
    or Actually, there is post processor which could be edited for any combination?

WinCnC would be the second option if actually the mastercam and Mach 2 could not work together in 5 axis mode. But the price is indeed much more higher.

Thanks again for teaching!!
    I am learning from you!!
    It is still long way to go for making the dream come true!

mach2

is this stepper control only or will it work with servos also? Todd

I'd check in the Mach2 Yahoo Group for someone with a MasterCAM post; I bet someone has one.

Robert

robgrz

I just wanted to point out I don't think your in the greed group; your pricing is fair; and more to the point; affordable to the avg joe

I know the big guys like to make tons of money; but to be honest; if your not making big money with their software should you pay big money to own it

Thanks- I agree completely.

Robert

Yes, I agree with above experts as well.

Big Guy's usually inflated the functions we may not use, but we still need to pay for it!!!
    They call it value added items.
    Probably, most people will not use over 60% functions of MS Word. Are they adding values for themselves??
    Am I buying a white-elephant software??

Is there the same situation in CAD/CAM?
    MasterCam costs over 14,000 USD!!
    Is it worth to pay that amount just for 5 axis function milling 1/72 plastic airplane??

If one day MeshCam can do 5 axis mill with the slighly higer price,
    probably, MasterCam or Powermill or some others may offer much more money to acquire MeshCam. And finally, we still can not afford it due to big guy's marketing strategies.

So once MeshCam release 5 axis mill, shall we buy it immediately to prevent the acquisition from big guys.
    :rainfro:

How complex to develop a 5 axis mill CAM??
    Will it cost over 1 billion USD and several years as most big guys said ???

Page 1 of 2 12