586,909 active members*
3,371 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

high speed machining software

Looking for some feedback on a software called"HSM Works". Also, looking for feedback on Makino and Sodick high speed machining centers.

hoss64,
    I have heard of the "HSM Works" software...but thats about it. No help there.
    I started going though the machine selection process a couple of months ago myself.
    I have it narrowed down to the Massura's for us...but the Makino has a great rep as well.
    http://www.methodsmachine.com/Machin...a/default.aspx

if you want to use makino ,try ffcam from makino its design for hsm or ffaut that's integrate with unigraphics

Hoss, most newer cadcams can do high speed machining.
    The biggest problem I remember was at 3.3m/min cutting feed the change in direction was brutal on the ballscrews, mazak drilled a hole thru the middle and ran chilled oil thru.
    When it changes direction it needs a deceleration path, sort of like a loop in fresh air. (the cutter is tony hawk and the ramp is the workpeice, no dead stops)

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

You can get some info here too.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Hi hoss 64

At the last IMTS were Makinos were being used the engineer that was running them
    peferred to use GibbsCam for there programing software

DL 3.3m/m is not veryfast you should see what 60m/m cutting & 300m/m rapid looks like
    Mactec54

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

It might have been 33 meters/min.
    I cant remember, it was 8 years ago on a mazak fjv250 with hyperform V5.2.
    It seemed very unsympathetic to the machine, it was like hitting the ends of the ball screws with wooden mallet at full swing.
    They were big time players in aerospace and toolmaking saw those concerns as petty.

You or I would cringe (or marvel) at seeing $180k usd mazak used like that.

The previous guy smashed it hard and bent the linear guides, they need expert users only. (and lots of solid carbide $$$$$$)

At first I was like that but after a while and more experience 150 IPM looked like Sloooooooommmmmmooooooootion.

We used a lot of carbide, M42, and powdered metal tooling. Materials like Inconel, Monel, SS 300 series and 400 series, Aluminum 6061, 7075, and Tool Steels.

I would say 30% was Aircraft, 30% Tool and Die, and the rest divided among simple molds and odds and ends.

There was no hiding in this small shop so you learned a lot. It was a great experience.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

There is a company called Single Source technology. www.singlesourcetech.com They supply allot of my endmills, also they are a Makino rep, and have many good applications guys there to talk to. Makino is at the top of the list for moldmakers as far as high speed hardmilling. There are a few others out there, but none that seems to take it as serious as Makino.