586,655 active members*
3,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Designing a new router called Brevis-HD
Page 8 of 49 67891018

Re: Designing a new router called Brevis-HD

Hi All - now I have cleaned up stuff after selling Scoot and suddenly realising I don't have a router!! Well I do have 2 benchtop machines but not a big machine so better get cracking and finish YaG. Brevis-1 I've been using clamps and screws to hold things to the table so today I made a formply bolster with lots of threaded inserts. Off to the hardware to get bolts then I can make clamps. I have to make the moulds to cast the Tetrium test pieces in.

YaG update - I have cruised through the drawings made all the minor corrections and set up all the drawing links. Now I start from scratch and adjust all the parts so they match (especially holes and threads) and check the X,Y,Z envelope is correct. Got to pedal faster... Plus I have to design & build the bench for YaG. It will be a two piece thing to keep part weight down and I'll use lightweight plywood. I got to the guys place who bought Scoot and it had to go through an 800mm door!! I had to pull the Z axis ram off and we turned it on its side and sort of trolleyed it through. Very heavy! Had to get the neighbour in for the final lift and roll. Peter

Hi All - YaG has stalled a little. My work has gone ballistic with a lightweight 1/2 sheet router for 75mm Kaizen foam to design, a 180W CO2 laser machine and a half sheet mill. Then there's the 600 tonne payload trailer to finish....So rotating projects at the moment. Plus the builders have started on my new workshop Yeh!! Long time coming but should be good in 9 weeks. Peter

Rule 1: Identify Truly Independent Computations
    Rule 2: Implement Concurrency at the Highest Level Possible
    Rule 3: Plan Early for Scalability to Take Advantage of Increasing Numbers of Cores
    Rule 4: Make Use of Thread-Safe Libraries Wherever Possible
    Rule 5: Use the Right Threading Model
    Rule 6: Never Assume a Particular Order of Execution

Hello Jiya -Thank you for reminding me about multi-threading design. Maybe useful in my busy life at the mo. Isn't there eight rules? Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi All - YaG has stalled a little. My work has gone ballistic with a lightweight 1/2 sheet router for 75mm Kaizen foam to design, a 180W CO2 laser machine and a half sheet mill. Then there's the 600 tonne payload trailer to finish....So rotating projects at the moment. Plus the builders have started on my new workshop Yeh!! Long time coming but should be good in 9 weeks. Peter
    Why CO2 and not a Fiber the 600 Ton trailer is a job by it's self I was looking at some videos of some cool trailers like that here is the link to one this is more than just a trailer though

Mactec54

Hi Mactec - Yes multi wheeled steering is cool. Lots of trouble with tyres when they have 90 tonnes on them each. The CO2 is the clients choice I just do the CNC platform. Here's some shots of a recent 360T trailer. The 600T is bigger. Image is our car slab and retaining wall footings....Peter

Hi All - Been working on a kit mill for a client. Originally looked like a conventional mill but the client wanted 600x900mm and this dim has driven the design to a moving gantry (along with the minimum foot print request. It was originally a moving table design) Its worked out with many features like YaG. One aim is to make everything from 1/2" 6061-T6 plate. There is some thicker in there though. I've stolen some of YaGs ideas and used on the HS Mill. I think I'll use some the other way as well. The Mills Z is huge and that's the sticking point at the mo. Peter

i really don't care for the linear rails getting that close to the cutting area personally. and the higher you go the more flex at the tool your going to see. looks like things are going to be sticking out a ways like you said. how much distance is there from the table to the bottom of the gantry?

Hi MD - Here's the current dims. He machines 75mm thick stuff with an 80mm stick out tool..... Rationalising heights and envelopes now, then we see if its practical / $$$ . Peter

for starters i would probably think about some ribs between the sections the linear rails are attached to on the inside above the spindle if you can make some space for them? at least if the upper half is more rigid the bottom can't flex as much. that's a pretty high gantry so to reach the table you are sticking out pretty far. i'm not sure what kind of spindle set up your looking at? are they wanting to cut Aluminum and steel parts ?

honestly 3" thick is not really that thick but what you need to focus on is low profile work holding solutions since you don't have tons of travel to spare.that way the machine can be built to a size on the z axis where you get the most bang for your buck. just something to think about.

Hi MD - The Z axis will be a box eventually. Spindle is 2.2kW for aluminium. Dia80mm he already has that. Wanted to cut steel originally but no way once some figures were done. Current max deflection is the Z axis. Other areas good, usual problems. Honing things down now to final envelope. Everyone initially wants a bigger machine but reality & $$$ bite eventually. That's why mills are big and heavy. I'm thinking of putting the Z motor on the z axis to get rid of the skyscraper saddle then balance the z axis. Been thru many iterations so far. Peter

i know all to well about how big machines cost big money mine seems to be a money pit 1000 lbs of E.G. was not even close to what i needed looks like another 1000 lbs to finish it. so probably 4000 lbs when finished or better. lots of money but a nice base to work from at least.

Hi MD - What epoxy are you using? 4000lbs/ 2t of EG at 12% resin = 2Tx0.12= 240kg of resin at $18/kg = $4000AUD ($2600USD) of epoxy?? yep $$$ add up....Cheers Peter

no just 1 ton of E.G. and a total weight of around 2 ton. i have had no luck getting that low in epoxy use. it could very well be the epoxy i picked since it already has minerals from the start before i even add anything. the shipping on the epoxy is really high and if i go with the slowest hardener the shipping is even worse since is is considered hazardous material. so the epoxy only costs about $1,400 but the shipping will be around $400 so it still costs $1800 or $1900 for 20 gallons with all the shipping costs tacked on. if they were closer it would be worth going to pick up but the supplier is halfway across the state.

Hi MD - What epoxy is it? just interested. Peter

here is the PDF with all the stuff your most likely after Peter.

Hi MD - Why are you using a filled system? Are you using this neat? That epoxy is commonly called Araldite B. The SDS doesn't quote the filler. But the hardener sure has some nasties in it. Use protection. Peter

just seemed like a good fit for the task but i'm not an expert on the subject. seen it was used for tooling for metal forming and figured it had good mechanical properties so i went with it. they do have a thinner that can be used with it that would probably help but i have not tried it. i will be sure to wear my rubbers while i work with it. rubber gloves anyways

Hi MD - Don't thin epoxy. This just keeps the molecules further apart so they can't cure properly then leaves porosity as the solvent desorbs from the material. Ask your closest epoxy supplier for an infusion grade epoxy they are the thinnest and have long gel times. Then you will need a filler. Sand, sawdust, ATH (which is probably in the smooth on) talc is common also, used sand blasting grit from a nearby blasters etc etc. But then you are already on a particular path and may not want to change Peter

Page 8 of 49 67891018