586,100 active members*
2,615 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Designing a new router called Brevis-HD
Page 21 of 49 11192021222331

Re: Designing a new router called Brevis-HD

Morning all - The Qld border is hard closed so I'll have to organise parts on couriers. Mucks up my washroom as well as I get plywood and stuff in Qld as well. Will look at border pass info today to see whats up. Peter

Hi All - I'm doing a border run today to pick up the saddles and other stuff. Rules keep changing for the border bubble its a pain. Peter

Evening all and Sundry - Picked up the corrected saddles so can get back to the mechanics asap. Today I upgraded the wiring board and sorted the cable chain. Will need to make a mount for the gantry end. Have some aluminium that will work for that. Got one motor wired in!! only 3 to go then can do some motor testing... Peter

Morning all - Designed the bracket but looking at chain 1 image I like the timber one. I can hang a feather duster on it and it will wipe the dust off the drivers as it goes back and forth This model will be called Scoot-S2 ie Scoot series two. After review it will be series 3 and I will integrate the cable chain mounts into the gantry top part. There are a few small updates to do to reduce cost and make it easier to build that have shown up so far. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chain bracket.jpg  

Morning all - Im off to work on YaG again. Yesterday I made the cable chain bracket and assembled the Z axis. The z axis is now smooth when the car bolts are pulled up Yeh. Now I find out if the gantry bearings are good... Hope to get further down the wiring and mechanical track today... Dressing the saddle will have changed its stack height to the drive nut so may have to shim this....Peter

Afternoon all & Sundry - Assembled the skimmed saddle and it works beautifully. So now the mechanics are good I can concentrate on getting it wired. I bolted up the cable chain and looked at the z axis. I thought I had a few metres of multicore cable in the shed but can't find it so shall get some on order. Due to the saddle being skimmed the nut bracket is now a bit high (0.7mm) I don't have a mill to skim the nut so shall epoxy putty set it on second fit. Once the wiring is settled I'll pull it down and reassemble, paying attention to alignment... Now I have to look at the DC spindle and check it out. Its mount/clamp is different to expected so I have to re-drill the mount plate I made for it... I also have to check the second saddle to make sure its OK as well.... Hopefully can do some motor testing next week.... Peter

Hi All - Found the multicore wire so Wednesday I'll be able to get wires up to the Z axis and then turn the power on! excellent. Peter

G'day all you lot out there! Today went smoothly, got the wire right through to the Z axis. Have to change a couple of things in the wiring board to make it neater, that's for next Saturday. Main target at the moment is to get power to the motors to do a motor test. Picked up some more terminal strip and have cleaned out the two hardware shops in town of strips. Need to figure out a couple of terminal boxes and its done. I started using shoelace ferrules but decided I don't like them as a couple have fallen off. Will go back to soldering the wire ends, that's foolproof. Plus I have to get a double pole switch for the Z axis brake/motor control.... can't test the motor with no power to the brake!! have fun until next time... Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    G'day all you lot out there! Today went smoothly, got the wire right through to the Z axis. Have to change a couple of things in the wiring board to make it neater, that's for next Saturday. Main target at the moment is to get power to the motors to do a motor test. Picked up some more terminal strip and have cleaned out the two hardware shops in town of strips. Need to figure out a couple of terminal boxes and its done. I started using shoelace ferrules but decided I don't like them as a couple have fallen off. Will go back to soldering the wire ends, that's foolproof. Plus I have to get a double pole switch for the Z axis brake/motor control.... can't test the motor with no power to the brake!! have fun until next time... Peter
    There is a special crimping tool for the ferrules they are not much good without it, you can just solder the ends of the ferrules which is better than soldering the wire ends
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec- the guy at the shop sold me a crimper for the ferrules and its hopeless. I'll solder the wire much better I think. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Mactec- the guy at the shop sold me a crimper for the ferrules and its hopeless. I'll solder the wire much better I think. Peter
    Then he sold you the wrong tool for the job if the ferrules can come off, they are locked on with the right tool and the only way to get them off is to cut them off
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Then he sold you the wrong tool for the job if the ferrules can come off, they are locked on with the right tool and the only way to get them off is to cut them off
    Agree...What sort of crimper did he sell you Pete?
    Mine are similar to these.

https://rhinotools.com.au/product/bo...tchet-crimper/

Hi Sterob - Mine are not like that, they are thin. I'll stick to solder...

Brings me to todays work. I tidied the main wiring board and got all the motors connected. I installed a good earth and tidied some of the terminal box wires as I came across them. I then plugged it in and got some nice green lights and no smoke!! excellent. I now have to get 24V to the brake and next tues or wednesday I take my computer and do some motor run tests!! WeeHaa! Then its pull it down and do fit 2 with all the screws and alignment taken into account, then make sawdust!! That reminds me I have to update the spindle mount..

The making list is growing... today I was given a grave cross to engrave but I'll do that on Brevis. Off to work on the washroom, I've had 30kg of epoxy delivered to coat the walls with... Its non yellowing surfboard epoxy. Haven't used it before.... The current electrics are 24V but I shall add a 48V PS and drive the motors from this as the drivers are 50V max...use the 24V for the brake... but I'll get everything moving and stopping first.. Peter

Hi All - They have closed down NSW for a week so won't be able to get to the shed to work on YaG next week. Bummer.... Have to get Frankenrouter built asap at home.... Peter

Hi Peter,

I spent the last several days reading through this thread from the beginning. Nice work with your machine. Looking forward to seeing it in action when it's finished. Keep up the good work.

Jayne

Afternoon All - Thks Jayne keep watching, getting close to swarf. Usually today I go to the Mens Shed to work on YaG but we're in lockdown so I have to stay home & the shed is shut. So I looked at the what I can do for YaG at home. The spindle mount is wider then the drawing they sent to me so it interferes with the rail nuts & the hole pattern is different as well. So I set the manual router up and created chamfers on the edges for nut clearance and redrilled and tapped the adaptor plate to suit the clamp. I use an adaptor plate on the Z plate so that if you want to change the spindle or tool you don't have to pull down the Z axis to modify it. It also helps with tramming... Hopefully next week I can get back to schedule. Once YaG is operational I'll look for a 1.5kW spindle I think... Will try out a G-Penny metal... Peter

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1305...1695696f0E5jif

Got this spindle as a test. When it arrived with the other parts its plastic brush nut was smashed. BST couldn't supply a new nut so they took off $50USD on my next order. Duct Tape holds the brush in well...

Hi All and sundry - I've decided to bring YaG back to my shed. We are in a week lockdown and its been extended a week. This could go on and on. Earlier this year lockdowns have put YaG months backwards. So I need to build a bench here for it then move it asap. Now's the time to do it so I can do second fit at home. So new bench plus working on the workshop washroom plus commercial. All go here!! Peter

Stay safe Peter. our lockdown has been extended until end of September. Looking forward to seeing some more progress on YaG to keep my mind off this seemingly never ending lockdown.

Hi Jayne - Well if there's anything in particular CNC you want me to chat about speak up... eg new bench. I promised my self next bench I make was going to be in aluminium. But the best aluminium retailer Ullrich is in Qld and it will be a mission to get there. So its a Bunnings bench. Probably from formply so I don't have to paint it. Levelling casters and light to mid weight. Last one was a battleship by build end.... Peter

https://www.castormaster.com.au/prod...lling-castors/

Thanks Peter. I am enjoying following this thread, I am learning a lot. Love to see all aspects of the build, including the bench, it is all so interesting.
    I have a bulletproof bench I will probably end up using for the CNC. It was given to me from an old mechanics workshop that closed down, full steel construction with about a 5mm steel plate as the top and it's on wheels. The whole thing probably weighs over 200kg. I will just have to add some levelling feet and it will be good to go.

Page 21 of 49 11192021222331