586,123 active members*
3,467 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Designing a new router called Brevis-HD
Page 36 of 49 26343536373846

Re: Designing a new router called Brevis-HD

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Evening all - Here's the spilt flange installed. Played around with Matts spindle mount today. Drilled some matching holes for it to screw to and decided on the paint scheme. Next is to ground the spindle and fire up the inverter... Careful what I wish for... Peter

A long term question in my head for electron experts out there. It surfaced again today when wiring some 230V chord plugs...How come in an AC circuit there is an active and neutral side and what does this mean? Being AC aren't both sides the same?
    No, in your case to make it very simple the Active /Live wire is 230v/240v the Neutral wire is the Return path this completes the circuit, the Ground / Earth wire is the safety return if there is a fault or dead short in something

This is the same for all circuits even low voltage, they have different names, like Positive /Negative Etc. the same applies
    Mactec54

Thks mactec - So the active side is the side the voltage "pressure" is coming from and the voltage varies sinusoidally. I had it in my head that the voltage flips from side to side I think its the "alternating" word that got me... I can pass away in peace now. Peter

Thks mactec - So the active side is the side the voltage "pressure" is coming from and the voltage varies sinusoidally. I had it in my head that the voltage flips from side to side I think its the "alternating" word that got me... I can pass away in peace now. Peter
    In the USA we have a split phase and works just like what you are thinking, for our 240v Single Phase, so the USA has (2) Active Hot wires 120v each and a Ground only, no Neutral for the 240v Single Phase, each 120v Hot wire takes turns at being the Neutral, when using 120v single phase in the USA it uses a Neutral so has (1) Active Hot wire a Neutral and Ground this works the same as your system with the exception of 50Hz /and 60Hz being the biggest difference
    Mactec54

To add to mactec’s explanation with a picture (I find pictures often help me more than words) here is an image I found on the internet. The Neutral line sits at 0V and is in fact connected to ground at the switchboard before entering the premises. The Active (or “Live”) wire alternates between positive and negative with reference to the neutral line in a sinusoidal waveform. Hope that made sense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B20DBFFC-D858-4930-97B1-7F456DBA694B.gif  

Thanks Jayne - But some systems do have the voltage "alternate" and that has been my quandary for some time. Alternating current AC should be called SC sinusoidal current unless it is in fact alternating... similarly DC should be called FC ie flat current if you get the drift. Peter

Back to my cutting aluminium with Scoot. A little pushing and pulling has shown the cheap FC (conventionally stated DC ) spindle I have has a bit of float in its bearing. So it maybe time to upgrade the spindle. Once through the 1.5kW SC/AC spindle labyrinth I'll consider that... So AC/DC the band I advocate should be called SC/FC....

Lol, I’m sure we could fill an entirely new thread with a discussion on AC/DC. I suppose it depends how you look at it. AC does alternate between positive and negative polarity, however you seem to understand the concept so no need to derail this thread. Looking forward to seeing the new spindle up and running.

Evening all - Here's my drilling and fitting exercise for the day. My washroom shower splashback. Hopefully this week I can get the plumbing signed off and I can relax on this project a little and get a machine built! Went for a little walk today and went past the local piggery. Usually wizz by in the car but walking has a slight aroma about it. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drilling 1.jpg   fitting 1.jpg   piggery 1.jpg  

you can use plasma cut40 to pierce to make hole ... its a lot easier and you can use cheap plasma cutter ... depend on steel plate thickness ...

Evening all - I've bought a small camera to put on Scoot to help locate origins. I need to put a cross hair on it somehow. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails camera.jpg  

I anticipate you have addressed this somewhere inside this tome of a thread, but what controller are you using Pete? I know mach 3 has a camera plugin that will automatically overlay a crosshair for you...

Hi Luke - I use UCCNC. Interesting about the mach3 cross hair. Perhaps can use the code in uccnc if its out there? The issue now is that I want to place the dust extraction in the same place as the camera.... Nothings easy it seems. Peter

kd-dietz is the site that hosts the plugin. (CNC zone don't want me to post a link in your thread apparently)

The above is the source, not sure if you can delve in there and find any code...

Hi Luke- to post a link you need to enter some text first then the link. If you enter a link first for some reason it does not work. Peter eg

Hard- und Software (kd-dietz.com)

Evening all - I've bought a small camera to put on Scoot to help locate origins. I need to put a cross hair on it somehow. Peter
    These laser edge finders work quite well, this is an Ebay # 294955336747

https://lasercenteredgefinder.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laser Edge Finder.PNG  
    Mactec54

Hi Luke - I use UCCNC. Interesting about the mach3 cross hair. Perhaps can use the code in uccnc if its out there? The issue now is that I want to place the dust extraction in the same place as the camera.... Nothings easy it seems. Peter
    The Camera or Laser can be mounted anywhere, you just have to use a programed Offset from the spindle center to wherever the Camera or Laser is mounted
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The Camera or Laser can be mounted anywhere, you just have to use a programed Offset from the spindle center to wherever the Camera or Laser is mounted
    That makes sense, how do you go about accurately measuring the offset to program the value into the software?

Hi Jayne - You centre the tool at a point and mark or note the camera centre, zero the machine. Then drive the tool over to the camera centre. Read the machine co-ordinates and that's your offset. Or you can do it vis versa. Peter

Ahh, ok, that sounds simple enough. I have so much to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by JayneV View Post
    That makes sense, how do you go about accurately measuring the offset to program the value into the software?
    If you don't have a way to measure it, draw it in cad and make sure the mounting parts you make are accurate to the drawing

You can also mount the camera or laser in the spindle, make sure it is running concentric with the spindle, they normally have adjustments to do this, go and find a position with the spindle center Zero X / Y axis in the control, move the camera or laser to its 0ffset mounting Position and then move the machine to where the spindle X / Y Zero was set, what reading is on the dro will be the 0ffset number
    Mactec54

Evening all - Did my first FE in fusion today. Doing a once week webinar on it and starting to use it for various things. Starting to get used to its environment and metaphors... Maybe build "Lanky" my next machine in it. Hopefully it replaces Alibre (parametric solids), Rhino3D (mesh and nurbs modeller), Strand7 FE and mechsoft CAM into one package. So far so good.... Peter

Page 36 of 49 26343536373846