586,655 active members*
3,792 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Help - Need some expert advice

Help - Need some expert advice

Howdy all,

I have a project that I've been working on and after figuring out what it will cost me in prototyping parts, I figure it will be best if I purchase a bench top mill. I'm also in the personalized gift business; therefore, I need something that will allow me to do some rotary engraving and possibly some 3D imaging stuff as well.

I've been looking at the Sherline 2000 mill and the Flashcut CNC controller. Does anyone know if this would be a good package and if not, is there something that would be better? I need a controller with a USB connection and will run on Windows Vista. I also can't afford to spend a great deal of money < $5K.

Thanks!
    Regards,
    Ed

Maybe

I started looking at the Sherline - after careful review I looked elsewhere.

I ended up with the X-2 and am in the process of CNCing her.

I didn't like all of the Aluminum on the Sherline, I mean it's all Aluminum. The X-2 is cast iron.

I believe you can use something similiar to Flashcut, that's just some software. There is a forum for talking about software here also.

Smitty

USB may be the limiting factor of what you can find.

On my sherline I used the HobbyCNC kit and it ran the sherline great. Just not USB.
    Donald

You might also take a look at a CNC ready Taig. It is easy to add the steppers. Bob Campbell www.campbelldesigns.com sells a nice turnkey control box and you could run Mach3 software. The Taig is larger than the Sherline and not quite as large as the X2. Just a thought for another option to investigate. Don't be afraid of the Sherline. It does a fine job assuming you work within the limits of the machine.

Smithy also has some intersting small mills now. You can buy them from complete turn key to bare bones.

As to the USB, Fry Electronics and others sell some really cheap desktop computers with parallel ports. If Vista is a problem, you could put XP on the computer.

Good luck.

Regards,

Chuck

Thanks for the info!

The Taig looks pretty impressive. It appears that when manufacturers say CNC Ready, means they come with the motors/servos but no controller and software, is this correct? I really like the CNCMaster mills, but once I add everything on them, I'm at the same cost as my C02 laser ($10K).

I like the fact that the Sherline has the option for the pneumatic rotary tool for engraving, which is a high priority on my list.

I think the FlashCuts CNC controller is a bit pricey to have USB; therefore, I'll have to either build a conversion box or purchase one. The CNCHobby controller looks pretty good and the price is right.

dneisler: How well does your Sherline mill 6061? What model do you have and has there been any problems?

Thanks again!
    -Ed

My sherline 5400 worked very well. I made several parts from 6061 taking .02 DOC cuts.

Here is a link to a picture of mine, as well as my first USABLE part I made.
    http://www.donald-neisler.com/index....c-part-i-made/

I cut normally 10IPM using the HCNC controller, could go alot faster though. I was holding about .004" accuracy easy.
    Donald

The Taig 2019CR-ER comes with stepper mounts and no steppers or control or you can buy the Taig complete with steppers mounted and no control. The ER option gives you a spindle that accepts ER-16 collets which are nice for holding milling cutters and/or drills. Nick Carter maintains a website that is very helpful relative to Taig machines "www.cartertools.com"

You might check with Fred Smith at imsrv.com He sells Sherline mills set up with servo motors. He also sells a control box that operates off a USB port using a device called nCPod.

There are many options and new options are being added all the time. Ask a lot of questions. Get a machine sized for the work you want to do. Good luck.

Regards,

Chuck