586,072 active members*
4,369 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sourcing Parts - help with selecting a shop

A colleague and I have finished our 2nd stage of prototypes and are ready to go into production! Needless to say we are excited - and have spent a notable chunk of our savings on the project - but we are happy with the results and believe in the product.

We about 10 parts that will need CNC'd (3-axis milled). Neither of us have engineering backgrounds and thus as we are sending out RFQ's to machine shops but we need advice on how to pick one. While cost is important, quality and pride of workmanship is also important. We understand that the cheapest price may not be the best price. The fellow who did our CNC work for the prototypes is a great machinist, but not interested in doing volume work and isn't too eager to help "consult" or spend a lot of time giving us advice going forward.

Can anyone on the forum help recommend a "process" to help pick a machine shop? I.e. ask for references, sample pieces, demand QC checks, etc? I've poked around on the forum looking for similar threads with no luck - but if I've missed one, I certainly apologize.

Thanks!

John

where are you located, what kinda parts, will you supply material ?

Located in Ohio. Will need the machine shop to supply material. Parts are mostly ~4" x 4" x 1/2" aluminum (6061) with various threads, angles, etc.

Go visit them. Even if they are the other side of the planet, go see them in person.
    Beware they will clean and polish the place if they know you're coming. Best way is to call up on the cell phone while you're on the way there. ("Hey Joe, I'm in the neighborhood, thought I'd stop in")
    Check out how clean and organized the place is. How much attention do they pay to quality control?
    Bob
    You can always spot the pioneers -- They're the ones with the arrows in their backs.

CarbideBob - Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

If we are putting an order in for multiple parts with a shop, is it fair/appropriate to ask them to machine one of the parts (just once) for you to examine? Or is this asking too much (because it would require set up...)?

One way is to put an rfq out there for 20 pcs or so, pick 5 shops and see what the quality is and so on and then go from there.

I also have always been a fan of the "Have a few beers" approach. Find out why they do what they do, as you will always get better quality from someone that enjoys the work. It's also really helpful to work with someone you can understand and get along with .... things do and will go wrong, but it can be quite painless if you get along well with the other person.

SeND ME PRINTS PLEASE TO [email protected]

I also have always been a fan of the "Have a few beers" approach
    Next day you call the guy you got drunk and he doesn't remember you!
    I thought this approach went out in the 70's?
    Why would I trust a guy that needs to go to a BAR to try to land an account? This type of person drinks his LUNCH @ your cost and laughs at you on the way out of the Gin Mill!

Nothing wrong with putting a stipulation to machine prototypes prior to issuing a PO, it is done all the time in situations like this one, NEW CUSTOMER meets NEW SUPPLIER they ride into the sunset together OR NOT!
    Truly and Respectfully:
    AMW

We have had several occasions where a customer asks for a "sample" to check the end product before going into full production. In the end, it usually works out better because the customer can catch something they might not expect or ask for something to be made slightly differently. Even though it may require us to build fixturing, etc before having an actual production order placed, a shop confident in their workmanship should have no problem providing you with a sample since you're sure to order the rest!

Oh, and if you haven't already, you could always check the "Machinist Feedback" section to see what other customers say about the shops...

That's my 2-cents anyway!
    -Ryan
    Ryan K. Dygert
    www.Empire-Engineering.com

Another good way is to ask for references. I've had people ask this of my shop and I happily provide them. I can give them names and numbers of the buyers from the companies I do business. They can tell you the potential suppliers level of quality, lead and delivery times, pricing, level of dedication to customers, ability to produce "hot" jobs asap, etc.

Also, but not always a good indication, look at their quality system or registration. We are ISO 9001 certified and are also looking into NADCAP certifications. This is an indication of a companies commitment to quality. These are not easy to attain, however some companies have great quality people and can't deliver parts on time, or some other issue.

Use your best resource as well. Your thoughts and gut feelings. Granted, some guys could sell a hunting rifle to an animal rights activist, but if you get a bad feeling, there is probably a reason.

Oh yeah, you can email your prints to us and I'd be happy to give you a quote and all of the references you'd like. You'll know the names, I'm sure. If it's a job that I can't do becuase of higher shop rates I'll tell you so. I'll also try to use my experience in design and engineering to help you get a better product if I see something that might make your parts more "manufacturable".

Hope this helps. Good luck on your adventure.

-Rikk

John. I often do small runs of 5s and 10s. I PMed you for more details.