586,060 active members*
4,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > Need help! Roland MDX 15

Need help! Roland MDX 15

Hello!

I have an old Roland MDX15 engraving machine. I use DR. Engrave software.

When I set up parameters:

Z Up Position 5mm
    Z Down Position -40mm
    Z Engraving Pitch 40mm

I don't understand why my Z Up Position values don't work. When machine makes idle moves it raises the z-axis slider to the maximum height. What am i doing wrong?

Video: https://gemoo.com/tools/upload-video...64178002051072

Thank you for your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 375762689_986231419160247_1708092802558909645_n.jpg  

Re: Need help! Roland MDX 15

It's just repositioning, Z up position means where material starts and engraver wants to mill everything from this height.

It seems to be working okay. What do you mean by "set up parameters"? Is this an attempt to edit the post-processor, or give it motion commands? Where did you set your zeros? Usually they are set in relation to a workpiece, but you don't seem to have one there.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I think Z0 means where material starts and Z up positsion is repositioning height?

picture : https://ibb.co/yRN1ktF

Yes, I don't have a workpiece. I just test the program and machine. On this machine, Z0 can only be set manually (engraving bit moving in tool holder). ther is only 3 values programming to Z axis (Up position, Down position and pich), When I change Up position value nothing changes.

I just said what i observed on my modela. It always repositions on Z maximum. Z Up is where the cutting movements start. All above are rapid (let's say that this toy has rapid ones )
    Z=0 is a base height for cutting or engraving. Sometimes U may plan surface before engraving and sometimes u have a flat, but not perfect. In this case u need to fit flatnes between Z0 and Z Up. It is like a safety distance.

Quote Originally Posted by steryd View Post
    I just said what i observed on my modela. It always repositions on Z maximum. Z Up is where the cutting movements start. All above are rapid (let's say that this toy has rapid ones )
    Z=0 is a base height for cutting or engraving. Sometimes U may plan surface before engraving and sometimes u have a flat, but not perfect. In this case u need to fit flatnes between Z0 and Z Up. It is like a safety distance.
    Thank you for your answer.

I think my Z up cell is not working You said that Z up is where cutting starts but whatever number I write into that cell machine starts calculating cutting on Z axis maximum height.

For example, if I want to engrave a thin plate and engraving step is 0.05mm and the z down position is -55mm. Then I would have to wait about 1 hour before the engraving blade touches my part. Because it starts engraving from the maximum height of the z axis - even if I put the Z up position value 54mm.

I made a video, there is 2 experiments : z down and pitch dimensions are same -40mm and 20mm. I changed only Z up position parameters first time 30mm and second time only 1mm and unfortunately no difference, cutting start height is same

https://gemoo.com/tools/upload-video...12029242003456

You need to zero the tip of your tool to the top of the material you're engraving. It sounds like you're setting it at the top of the Z axis instead. It automatically goes there when it retracts; you don't need to put a value in for that.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You need to zero the tip of your tool to the top of the material you're engraving. It sounds like you're setting it at the top of the Z axis instead. It automatically goes there when it retracts; you don't need to put a value in for that.
    But how can i set the zero the tip to the top of the material? There is no such option. Only by manually moving the engraving pit in the head collet but my engraving tool is not so long to move it to the engraving material.

U know that U can mount spindle in two positions?
    If U mount it in lower position even short tool will reach table.
    Also U set machining height by moving spindle with up and down buttons beneath on/off.
    There should be still available manual on rolanddga site