586,080 active members*
3,572 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting heavy insulation mat options

We are a mechanical insulation company specializing in commercial and industrial HVAC insulation. Currently, we have a small group of guys that make insulation blankets for steam valves and oddball equipment on projects. This process is all hand layout and is as slow as you would expect.

The Plan: Incorporate a CNC laser and step up our quality and speed.

The Good: I have a decent background in CNC machining and Autodesk

The Problem: I'm not familiar with anything laser and am in need of direction with material applications.

The Material: Needled fiberglass/ceramic mat ~1 inch thick, silicone impregnated glass cloth, woven glass cloth, PTFE glass cloth, Aerogel, (BONUS .016 aluminum roll stock with poly backing, and last but not least .030 PVC roll stock.)

If we can't get the project up and running for 40-70k it'll have to be mothballed for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerguy View Post
    We are a mechanical insulation company specializing in commercial and industrial HVAC insulation. Currently, we have a small group of guys that make insulation blankets for steam valves and oddball equipment on projects. This process is all hand layout and is as slow as you would expect.

The Plan: Incorporate a CNC laser and step up our quality and speed.

The Good: I have a decent background in CNC machining and Autodesk

The Problem: I'm not familiar with anything laser and am in need of direction with material applications.

The Material: Needled fiberglass/ceramic mat ~1 inch thick, silicone impregnated glass cloth, woven glass cloth, PTFE glass cloth, Aerogel, (BONUS .016 aluminum roll stock with poly backing, and last but not least .030 PVC roll stock.)

If we can't get the project up and running for 40-70k it'll have to be mothballed for a couple of years.

Hi have you considered using waterjet, they can cut any material from glass,foam, up
    to 200mm thick titanium

Quote Originally Posted by neil76 View Post
    Hi have you considered using waterjet, they can cut any material from glass,foam, up
    to 200mm thick titanium
    I have considered it. Pros are low dust, Cons are wet insulation is a nightmare and no etching options.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerguy View Post
    I have considered it. Pros are low dust, Cons are wet insulation is a nightmare and no etching options.
    Hi we use waterjet brick or rhino board this lifts the material 50MM above the tank we often cut rockwool with no issues, and the Omax waterjet has a etching function.

Re: Cutting heavy insulation mat options

We use sheets of the blue or pink isocaynurate foam insulation board found at most home improvement big box stores. Obviously won’t last as long as the WJ brick but for Cutting Kaowool blanket at low pressure the foam board lasts long enough and is economical.
    Most of the water saturation comes from the surge of water welling up from catcher tank vs the actual jet stream. We drop the water level as far as possible to minimize soaking. If were in a hurry we put the parts in an oven to dryout but normally just set on cardboard overnight. Next day they are dry.
    Also should mention occasionally if the catch tank water wells up it will stain the white blanket. Doesn’t hurt the insulation but aesthetically may not be acceptable.