586,075 active members*
3,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 12 9101112
    Got the PM, will try drill and send the board today in my lunch break.

I meant to put your name (twistedfuse) written with copper in the large copper pour area, kinda like a custom job, but forgot all about it (chair).

Russell.

Hi Russell,

Would have been a nice touch

Bob

Hey Bob, I know, I am kicking myself for forgetting...ah well.

Board is sent Daniel, the schematic and board layout are all on the above link.

Just give the board a wipe with a little acetone to remove the ink from the tracks, I usually leave it on until I am ready to solder, this keeps the copper nice and clean. I don't have tinning capability (yet) but usually the boards are fine without it, if you want you can spray some PCB lacquer to seal it once soldered up.

Are you able to make it to the BBQ in May Daniel ?

Cheers.

Russell.

Russell,

Looking forward to seeing the boards and getting it up and running. I really appreciate it russell.

As for the BBQ it would be lovely to g and meet everyone but alas i very much doubt i'd be able to get the time off at such a busy time with work that i could travel to melbourne. I am though making sure i do go to one as i'd really like to meet eveyone face to face.

Also i was browsing the files i had on the PIC pendant and found that i did have 2 rar files. One from the site i think and one from the cnc thread. One has the PCB attached and the other didn't so i don't know if anyone needed it. It is the 2nd page of the PDF. I hope that the guy who designed this is not offended it i post it here but if he is ill remove it.

Anyway, i get my routr back today and looking foward to it. Get some time this weekedn and ill look at machining theboard/enclosure for the pic pendant as well as some cable chain so i can experiment with the tolerences to get a tight fit.

Daniel
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by twistedfuse View Post
    Hello All,

Firstly let me say i hope i have posted this is the right place, not too sure. And secondly what a wonderful site this is. For years now i have been thinking about building one and this year i finally bit the bullet and bought the Hobby CNC 4axis 300oz kit. All my circuitry is now built, all i can say is "wow" and i havent even built the machine yet. The main reason for electronics first was that i wanted to commit to building this machine and it is definately a good way to do it. My machine will have rails of 932mm (full rail that supplier had) for the main x axis, 700mm for the Yaxis and 280 for the z axis. And i am hoping to build a cutting area of approx 700x500x150 so i can get into model building, PCB manufacture for all my electronic projects, sign making and anything else new that i can do of course.

ANyway onto my build and problems so far. I have had best luck this week, secured old stock from a supplier of proper linear bearings for dirt cheap. They are 35mm linear rails, bulky and huge but hey, its within my price range, ill just build around them. So luck is on my side and even tho i dont have them yet i have started the frame work for the base. I will post pictures when i feel its at a good stage. The frame will be 40mmx40mmx1.6mm thick. I think most of the machine(gantry as well) will be built somehow with this and 6mm plate aluminum for extra strength.

Next on my bill will be to drill and tap all the holes when i have both the rails and frame together. After that will follow the gantry build and egt 2 axis working then make the final z axis.

My first problem is i have to get some leadscrews/ballscrews. I have a local bloke who has been heaps of help so far and is really nice. He ahs offered me a 5TPI screw for at least my main axis. Now my question is: Because im making circuit boards will this thread pitch be too coarse for the intricate work i need?

I am hoping to have built my complete machine over the course of the holidays i have (next 2 weeks), mostly at night and in the mornings as i work everyday. Well i know it will not be completely finished but at least i would like it to be cutting in 2 weeks. I will probably cheaply go for all thread until i find a good deal on proper screws, then slowly replace anything to get higher accuracy.

Anyway, thats about it for now. Is there anything i should be aware of for my build? Any comments etc.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

P.S Attached are some quick renderings of my machine. The main one is now outdated as the gantry will be slightly different. New gantry proof of concept is attached tho.

P.P.S If there are any aussies out there willing to sell some leadscrews/ballscrews please email me or post here as i would really like to keep costs down.
    QUESTION newbie about a foam cutter
    what would it cost to make these side plates an the gantry beam across out of aluminum plate for a 18" gantry height above the table , 60" wide table with a 3.5 router for spindle ,i have it already ,i need the side plates set up to be driven on both sides of the table ,the unit need to be bolted together anyone that can build this give me a price of material an labor ( total break down of work )

Hey Daniel, I just printed out a modified version of the same programmer I sent you, I changed a track to program the 30f series that I am using. I started to populate it then realised that the ZIF socket is a wide DIL package not the 28-3 that the PIC is.

I will look up the PIC you are using and check that the ZIF will work on your board, I think your PIC is an 18 pin which may be OK, just in case check the ZIF fits before you start soldering. If it is no good I can print out another board to suit, this time with your name printed in the copper

Russell.

Russell,

Just got the package this morning before i started work. Lovely looking board, definately much better looking in person. Absolutely looking forward to building the board. Now i can see the pendant being finished very shortly. Ill upload some pictures of the board as i start to populate it.

Daniel

Good to hear the board turned up, the schematic and board layout are a little tricky to read the component names (well the board layout anyway). Give me a yell if I can help.

Russell.

Well just so you know the programmer does NOT work with 30F series chips (chair)

Ah well it was worth a try.

I may check with a 16F628A later on just to make sure the board is working properly.

Russell.

Russell,

I have ordered my chip and just waiting for it and some extra parts for the programmer to turn up. I decided for the amount of times i actually use the programmer that i would use standard IC sockets(and the other factor is i had alot laying around). I will take a photo or two in the next couple of days. Im busy atm with my work and waiting to get my next set of rails for the next project.

Daniel

Hi Guys,
    I recently purchased a Pic Development board from mikroe. The EasyPic5.
    http://www.mikroe.com/en/tools/
    Well worth it. $129USD + about $30 shipping. Great price.
    I did get a lot of the goodies with it too. About $300AUD.

I highly recommend these if your doing a microcontroller development.

A graphics LCD with touch screen for $25USD.
    I'm going to have a play making a pendent.

Cheers
    Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by twistedfuse View Post
    Russell,

Looking forward to seeing the boards and getting it up and running. I really appreciate it russell.

As for the BBQ it would be lovely to g and meet everyone but alas i very much doubt i'd be able to get the time off at such a busy time with work that i could travel to melbourne. I am though making sure i do go to one as i'd really like to meet eveyone face to face.

Also i was browsing the files i had on the PIC pendant and found that i did have 2 rar files. One from the site i think and one from the cnc thread. One has the PCB attached and the other didn't so i don't know if anyone needed it. It is the 2nd page of the PDF. I hope that the guy who designed this is not offended it i post it here but if he is ill remove it.

Anyway, i get my routr back today and looking foward to it. Get some time this weekedn and ill look at machining theboard/enclosure for the pic pendant as well as some cable chain so i can experiment with the tolerences to get a tight fit.

Daniel
    Hey,

Geez you guys move pretty quick on this stuff, work has had me by the neck the last few weeks and I haven't even had a chance to ponder the pendant.

Anyway Daniel, if your interested I'm in Sydney not far from the airport (Maroubra) and just booked a flight down to Melb as a day trip for the BBQ. Cost me $145 all up and I'm splitting car hire with another fellow Ivan who I haven't met at the other end. If your interested I can offer you a place to crash on the Fri/Sat night if you wanted to join the crowd heading down. Flight leaves at 7:15am and gets back about 9pm.
    Have a Joes2006 I cut by hand in the garage as well to check out, I'm always up for another cnc'ers opinions

--Scott

Hey all,

Sorry its been quiet again. Been working very hard lately and in the little time i have had i have had to try and find a nw car. I had an unfortunate car accident about 3 weeks ago so been very quiet. Everyone involved is ok and im not at fault so not too worried just not much happening while i just relaxed. I did however get time to start collecting and organising the rails for my newest router. Will have to take some photos of the goodies. Starting to look at ballscrews so if anyone knows of a good place/auction please let me know.

Anyway, look forward to getting back into finishing some projects off like the pendant and finishing the encosure of my router and electronics as well as try and finalise the problem with the binding in the main axis.

Daniel

Good to see you are back and fine on the car accident, we have been wondering where you were.

Cheers,
    Bob

Thanks Bob,

I have been floating around reading every now and then but not much else. Looking forward to building the next machine.

Daniel
    P.S BTW i have enjoyed reading about your lithophanes too. They are great. Ive been playing around with them a fair bit before the accident and i have given a few to family for presents and have a few people at work looking at getting some done.

P.P.S Anyone know where to get silicon rubber mould making supplies within australia.

Mold supplies

Hi Daniel

Good to hear your alright after the accident. My local fiberglass place has this sort of stuff.

http://www.fibreglassmaterials.com.au/

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the link. I'll have to chase them up for some prices.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune - glad everyone is OK though.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Hi Daniel, I thought you had been a little quiet, glad to hear you are all Ok.

Russell.

Hi Daniel
    I have been interested in building a CNC router and similar projects for my mill etc. Over the last couple of years I have collected componets with the hope to build on the cheap.
    But I must say that I have sent the majority of tonight looking over your project from start to end (current state) and appreciated your process and development of the project and personal also. Well done!!

I was encouraged enought to write this, My first post (ever)!
    I'm located in Canberra and travel to Nowra often. I would dearly love to see your project on day

Thanks for invovement in this, I agree fantastic web site! And also to those who contribute. Great stuff!!

Greg

Page 11 of 12 9101112