586,067 active members*
4,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tool offsets

Tool offsets

Hi all
    I was just wondering if anyone used a 3D Taster in their CNC lathe in order to help them set up tool offsets? Having used one a lot on my Bridgeport Interact Milling machine and having regularly having had to reset the tool table on my Denford Easiturn CNC lathe it would seem like a relatively quick way to do it rather than having to turn bar stock and check diameter or touching off tool on a known diameter and risk breaking insert etc. Obviously one would nee to move back and forth along Z-axis when setting X-offset to ensure one picked up the centre of the spherical probe tip, but that's relatively painless. Interested to hear other people's thoughts on the matter
    Thanks
    Andy

Re: Tool offsets

hy handi a 3d taster is too complex for such a task

i would recomand a "zero setter"; please check the photos from here ( one uses the chuck for Z offset, and other uses the tailstock for X axis ) : https://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma...ter-using.html

idea behind all these is to use a "zero setter" instead of the "touch setter" thus, the idea is ok when there is no touch setter, or for setups where you can not use it ( for example when having a loooong part between spindle and tailstock, that makes it impossible to use the touch setter )

there are also other faster methods : if you can grid-shift XZaxis, and offsets origin, you may do stuff like this :
    ... z offsets represents the distance between the tool nose and the turret face
    ... z program 0 represent the distance between part face and chuck face
    *and so on

last but not least, if you can use system variables for offsets, you can do many little checks, turret real layout save, off-line colisions check, in machine checks, computing custom positions for indexing the turret, and other tricks / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Post Re: Tool offsets

When the tool is on reference position, in the program the Work Start Distance counts from the tool's cutter axis. If you do not give offset to the tool, then the workpiece can be cut more. We can understand this through CNC lathe, The distance from the reference position to the diameter(Z) of the workpiece and the face(X) which is the distance of the tool touch is considered as work offset. You want to learn step by step explanation go through -
    https://www.hdknowledge.com/2020/04/...c-machine.html